Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody near London... or Bath... or Cardiff?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody near London... or Bath... or Cardiff?

I ask because I'm taking my antisocial nature to the UK. My partner and I will be there the first weekend and part of the first week of September. We'll be getting to London on Friday, August 31 and then, because the thought of staying in one place is too horrible to contemplate for my partner, we'll be devoting the majority of Saturday and Sunday to going to Bath, then Cardiff, before returning to London Sunday night. Then we leave on Wednesday to return to the US.

Are there any friendly CS folk out there who might like to offer tips, suggestions, or a tour?
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Im close enough to scuttle you round Bath and Bristol ☺ Also..Royal Crescent is nice for a seen that moment but theres plenty more just as nice bits of Bath that arent plagued by Japanese tourists...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      Im close enough to scuttle you round Bath and Bristol ☺
      Seeing that written by K-G makes me wonder what kind of double-entendre that is in rhyming slang....
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Have you checked the timings? Traffic is awful this time of year, so you might not get much time at either over just one weekend. Remember a lot of our road network follows old Roman or medieval roads, so some journeys are not very direct.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Don't forget when you leave London to ask the receptionist for her recommendations for visiting Bath Bristol and the surrounding area and compliment her on her choices.You should get quite a reaction when you tell her you've heard superb things about her Bristols and would like to see what she has to offer ��

...after you've asked her to show you where Henry VIII had his Hampton Court...��
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Thanks, guys. We're planning to go to Cardiff on Saturday, then be in Bath by Saturday night. We have a hot air balloon ride scheduled for sunrise Sunday morning. Might have some time to kill Saturday night or by 11 or so Sunday morning.

Comment

You should get quite a reaction when you tell her you've heard superb things about her Bristols and would like to see what she has to offer 😊
              Don't say that unless you want to get slapped and/or arrested!

This is excellent for London etiquette:

London Do's and Don'ts

This has quite good advice (although I wouldn't confront anyone directly, speak to the bar staff!)

Trip Advisor

This is quite good:

15 Things Every Visitor Should Know

For Bath and Cardif Googling the number of the local Tourist Information office and calling them for advice is the best bet. They'll have a good idea of things to do in the timeframe you have, and may be able to suggest local events that are happening that day. Most major tourist towns have them, and they're very useful.

Also if you intend to spend a lot of time in London (and believe me, it can take years to see everything) look into travel cards (I don't know if you have time to get an Oyster card delivered). Depending on the type you buy, they cover unlimited travel on the Tube and red buses in certain zones, although keep in mind the excellent advice about checking a map in case walking is quicker. Also keep an eye out for leaflets in stations or Tourist Info Centres; they often have discount vouchers for attractions.

My personal favourites of the usual tourist attractions are:

1) the Natural History museum.
              2) the Science Museum (next door!)
              3) the London Dungeons (learning history and a haunted house vibe; what's not to love?)
              4) the Tower of London.

One thing I would advise is taking your own lunch as in-house food outlets tend to be overpriced. Alternatively eat a massive breakfast and just eat a bag of crisps at lunchtime.

Again, Tourist Info (and, if they're any good, your hotel staff) can tell you about local events and attractions that might not have hit the major websites.

Ooh, last thing; London tends to be just about the hottest part of the UK, and has hit low to mid 30's recently, so make sure you have plenty of water with you as well as a pack-a-mac. The streets can get quite crowded, so brollies can be a hazard.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

And you can't visit London without partaking in a game of Mornington Crescent....

Comment

And you can't visit London without partaking in a game of Mornington Crescent....
                  Don't forget teh Traveller's Exception.
                  ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                    Don't say that unless you want to get slapped and/or arrested!

3) the London Dungeons (learning history and a haunted house vibe; what's not to love?)
                    In the same area as LD you also have Borough Market for foods, Clink Prison Musuem, The Old Operating Theatre Musuem and HMS Belfast.
                    Last edited by rvdammit; 08-25-2018, 09:46 PM. Reason: Typo removal
                    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Here's one for you Londoners... What's the best way to get from Kew Gardens to Hampton Court Palace?

Comment

If you are of a juvenile nature,may I suggest if you visit Bristol not to miss this

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                          Here's one for you Londoners... What's the best way to get from Kew Gardens to Hampton Court Palace?
                          Bus is best, unless this is one of those trick questions that has just flown over my head...

Comment

Journey planning in London using public transport - https://tfl.gov.uk/
                            ludo ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                            X