This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales From SChool Visits

So for a myriad of reasons, I "failed" my placement (neither myself or the uni are seeing this as a fail however) and I'm now repeating it. Luckily the school chosen works in my favour due to it being MUCH closer (about 10-15 minutes away and in a metro zone...no more risking killing myself driving along one of the more dangerous highways!). It's also a small school.

Now, I will explain something about the way that a number of public schools work in Australia (and some private schools): in primary school, a lot of classes are mixed year levels, known commonly as a composite class. So this means that a teacher is taking up to 3 year levels at one time, although usually it's 2 year levels in the metro region. These are combinations such as Year 1/2, 3/4 and so on.

I have a Year 3/4 class. My teacher taught in London for 4 years, has taught in Australia for 4 years, and has only recently won a leadership role. Go her!

Anyway, I have a few "wins" that I scored over my last two days there:

-My students seemed curious, but not scared around me. Some of them were quite enthusiastic about me hanging around. One of the kids even asked "Can Miss Fireheart stay with us at lunchtime?" (some of the kids have been doing a lunchtime activity which for them is just colouring in some teaching aids-under their OWN will) Sadly I had to decline due to yard duty.

-I have 3 ESL kids in my class. One of them is quite the character.

-Another kid had broken his finger prior to me coming into class. Because of this, they use a computer for their writing tasks (since it's not going into their workbook in some cases). A few times he's been caught doing OTHER things...all of us cannot wait for that cast to come off let me tell you.

-Today we had a special event involving kids from each class "peer teaching" other kids who were both above and below their year levels in maths. A lot of the kids got quite into it which was good. Each class was allocated a timeslot that they could come and visit and kids from all the classes were sent down during the day to act as "teachers". My kids did quite well and I remembered names by the end of the day ().

-With that same maths activities event, two of the more addictive activities involved an iPad game called Match 10 (which is now on my own iPad) and a game/app involving little robots called Bee Bots. They were basically robots that you could program to use directional language and send them in various directions. A lot of kids kept making them dance around the room since in order to get them moving in one direction, you had to hit the forward button, then to turn, you hit the turn button, THEN the forward button.

-I spent a good chunk of the day with the Junior Primary Special Needs children, both mainstreamed and non-mainstreamed. The kids actually got along fairly well with the mainstream children (not the special needs ones) and even taught them how to play Dominoes.

-I also wowed one of the SSO's (and I'm suggesting this to the teacher next week) by suggesting a way that they could use dice without the kids throwing them across the room. (basically, take a clear container, put some dice into it, seal it (to prevent the kids opening up the container) and all they'd need to do is shake it and read the numbers on the "top" (bottom) of the container.

-Two of the special ed. boys I noticed at some point over the last two days were downright ADORABLE. One was a mainstreamed kid who had a tendency to run (I was warned) and he spent his entire timeslot with me before he had to go back to his teacher (who it turns out, I know previously ). He loved me and the Bee Bots. (he was very curious) The other child has a hearing impairment and I think either a mild intellectual disability or some behavioural issues, but he was VERY protective of the Dominos. (when it was time for his class to go and play with the activities, he kept asking me what would happen to them. I assured him that I'd keep an eye on them. )

-I get a chance to teach poetry, shapes, probability and the life cycle of plants to my kids. This will be interesting.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

That sounds awesome. I hope things continue to go well for you and the new school works out.

Comment

It sounds fantastic.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

It is. And it gets better.

Apparently on Friday afternoons, once school duties have ended, the teachers go for Happy hour in the staff room. Sadly I can't participate in the alcoholic side due to my licence conditions stating that I need to have zero BAC. (no, I didn't do anything illegal, I'm a provisional driver (meaning that I have all the learner conditions, which includes a zero BAC, but I can drive solo) until December when I FINALLY graduate to my full licence)

Comment

Do you know any Auslan*, fireheart?

If not, try getting the hard-of-hearing kid to teach you a few simple signs. (assuming he knows any)

* Auslan is the Australian version of sign language.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            Do you know any Auslan*, fireheart?

If not, try getting the hard-of-hearing kid to teach you a few simple signs. (assuming he knows any)

* Auslan is the Australian version of sign language.
            It's only one ear, so sadly no.

A few more tales from this week:

-I got asked AGAIN by the SAME kids if I could stay in during lunchtime to help them out with some activities. I had to remind them that I was here as a teacher, not as an SSO. (school support officer, generic term for anyone who works at a school, but isn't a teacher, that also includes teachers aides)

-I had a bit of an moment the other day when a group of kids were let out (for doing their homework) and went to play on the playground. Said moment came when one of the kids did some gymnastics from the very top of this piece of play equipment (that was taller than me). I didn't coax her off, but I pretty much just stood there watching her in case she fell (while keeping an eye on the others)

-One of the girls I have (one who asked me to stay in with them) is an absolute character. She was explaining to her friend about crickets eating frogs or something like that and her face went when she thought that the class frog (escaped) must've been eaten. (she's very imaginative)

-So the kids do a reading test called Lexiles (this won't give away my school or class) which basically calculates their reading level, then helps them choose which books are appropriate for their reading level. They are assigned a score from between 5-2000. Most of the books are labelled with a Lexile level on the front. Kids can read 100 below or 50 above their Lexile score. (so for instance, if a kid had a score of 850L, he could read books in the range of 750-900L) We repeated the test today, partially for me to see it, and partially because I was also completing an alternate test for 2 of my students (which I am re-doing on Monday). For some strange reason, all the kids kept announcing their reading tests to ME instead of to their classroom teacher . (If their score drops below 5, they are assessed as a BR (Beginning Reader) and we've been using Running Records to assess those who are BR's.)

-So the same kid I mentioned in my previous post (the adorable runner) decided to show off his "adorableness" to us the other day. How? By TRYING to sing "Twinkle Twinkle little star" with his fingers in his mouth.

-When the kids went off to their LOTE lesson today, I said "Good afternoon" to them and I explained that I would be in as a student teacher starting next week.
            The kids faces were like . I suspect that come Monday, they will be trying REAL hard to please me.

-One of the Maths resources used is Pattern blocks, which are basically a series of circles, triangles, diamonds and so on, up to Hexagon. For some reason I thought they were wood. Of course, when the teacher brings them over today to show me, I learned that they were foam

Comment

So I survived my first "week" out at the school (well, half week as I was out with tonsilitis).

In those four days, I have had some interesting moments:

-The class frog was found dead by another student. So of course, the kids had to hold a service for it. Sadly I was absent for said service. There's now a small grave located by one of the trees near their classroom. And the kids were saying prayers and freaking out when the Year 7's threatened to dig it up.

-When I introduced the science activities to them, the kids kept arguing over who was the "director" in their groups. (Note to self: when you are using aids taken from the book in future, try to take out the "speaker, manager, director" roles....)

-I have done MORE planning with my teacher in one week than I had done over my placement. And on top of that, the feedback I've received has been very positive, mostly the errors are for small things.

-On a similar note, my supervisor from the uni visited the class the other day. She loved it.

-In my Maths lesson, we were doing an exercise with dot paper and geoboards. The task was to draw a 2-D irregular shape and split it up into common shapes (which is one of the requirements for Year 4's). I had my kids creating pentadecagons and hencosagons! (15 and 21-sided shapes respectively)

-They are loving the science lesson, although when I asked them to describe a borlotti bean, some of the responses were along the lines of "it's a bit nutty", "it smells like a coffee bean" and "it doesn't smell like anything."

-The last couple of days I'd been going in and out of the library to help my kids pick some books for a reading journal. During one of those times we passed the little 5-year-olds having their time with the librarian. When I had to go back to the library later on to do some photocopying, I passed one of them who yells out "Excuse me, are you a teacher at the school?"

Comment

Working...
              X