This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A diller, a dollar, the ten o'clock scholars

I volunteer at a small museum. We have a bunch of very popular programs for school groups. We charge enough to cover the costs, plus a tiny profit that supports the museum. The programs are all done by volunteers. Each class that books a program gets a packet, carefully written in words of one syllable, that tells what we expect. Naturally, the teachers read the packets carefully, make sure the parents and chaperones get their handouts, and go over the rules with the kids. Right?

Most schools like to study the subjects all year, then bring the kids to us for a field trip toward the end of the school year, so April & May are insanely busy. We can have over a dozen programs a day, starting every half hour, and simultaneously going on all over the building & even outside. They are timed so that there are few hitches, with a bit of slop time built in, just in case. That is, when the schools do their part.

The last two weeks have been a nightmare, thanks to a whole series of schools that seem to have forgotten everything they read so thoroughly in those packets. We get the occasional problem class, but this was schools from several different cities.

You did not book a one-hour program to be held whenever you arrive. You booked a program that goes from 10 AM to 11 AM. A 10 o'clock booking means that the program starts at 10 o'clock. It does not mean that the bus pulls into the parking lot at 10. It does not mean that we wait until you send all thirty students to the toilet first. It does not mean that the program starts as soon as you find that chaperone who took her group to the candy store 4 blocks away. It means 10 o'clock. You read the part about "arrive 15 minutes early," right? Sorry, you are not entitled to a full one-hour program if you arrive a half hour late. Not even if you yell and scream at the museum staff that you paid for an hour. We explicitly told you that if you are late, "we reserve the right to substitute a shorter or different program or to cancel."

Yes, I gave all four schools a half hour program. Too bad that Really Fun Thing had to be cut out; bitching at me won't help.

Yes, we understand that stuff happens. If you've got an unforeseen problem, like a flat tire or the memorable day when the cops closed off all the streets while they hunted for a nutcase with a gun, we'll try to work with you. Especially if you call to let us know you are running a late. When you show up a half hour late, without calling, and say "ha, ha, ha, guess we just got a late start," we aren't inclined to be very accommodating. It doesn't help when one of the parents tells us that everyone was ready to go on time, except the teacher.

Ah, you have several coolers with all the kids lunches in them? No problem, we're used to that and we know you don't want to leave them out in the sun. Put them over there & pick them up when the program is over. "Pick them up" means that a couple of adults collect the coolers and take them outside to the students. It does not mean you send all thirty students into the museum to scream at each other while make a mess trying to find their own lunches. At least they didn't throw a fit when they found out that we do not arrange for a place where they can have lunch, which has happened.

No, those extra chaperones you didn't pay for can't go on the tour with the paid people (we've had to resort to making all the paid parents wear badges to keep out the freeloaders.) So, you brought an extra 10 kids and 4 chaperones and you want to add them? If you had called first, we would have told you that the fire marshall is rather strict about maximum number of people, and it ain't happening. Not even if you yell and scream at the museum staff.

Speaking of chaperones, have yours looked up the definition lately? Chaperones make sure the kids are safe & accounted for, and that the kids aren't doing things like running around screaming, climbing into exhibits, or stealing stuff from the gift shop. Chaperoning does not mean you pay attention only to your own kid and ignore all the others. It does not include ignoring the kids while you play with your cell phone. No, you can't disappear to Starbucks once the program starts. It also doesn't include participating in the program. This is for students. They don't learn as much when you crowd to the front of the group, shout out all the answers, or do an activity for them. The fee includes supplies only for students, so whining about not being able to join the fun hands-on stuff gets you nowhere.

As for the group that arrived at 9:30 for the 10 o'clock program, took all the kids to the public restroom instead of demanding to use ours, let the kids run off steam on the lawn, had attentive chaperones who knew what they were doing, made the kids give the chaperones their cell phones before the program, and had an organized teacher who knew how to keep order--what were you smoking and where can I get some for the other schools?

One of my first jobs out of high school was working at an arcade that had an amusement park attached to it. I started in April and worked through the first week of September. April and May were always hell because of all the school groups that would come to the park for the end of year celebrations and tear the place to pieces. One friday in particular we had 3000 kids through on a single day. I worked nine and half hours without a single break.

For all the school groups we had I think I can count on one hand how many were actually respectful, polite and organized.

As for your stories, what age ranges are these kids?
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
      Sorry, you are not entitled to a full one-hour program if you arrive a half hour late. Not even if you yell and scream at the museum staff that you paid for an hour. We explicitly told you that if you are late, "we reserve the right to substitute a shorter or different program or to cancel."
      That's a good policy, and I'm glad you stick to it. It isn't fair to the later groups who do arrive on time...

Yes, we understand that stuff happens. If you've got an unforeseen problem, like a flat tire or the memorable day when the cops closed off all the streets while they hunted for a nutcase with a gun, we'll try to work with you. Especially if you call to let us know you are running a late.
      Agreed, things happen. And if you let me know in advance I will work with you. A last-minute call (or none at all) and I won't be so accommodating...

Comment

Arg. I only have limited memories of my school trips, since I think they were all in elementary school. I swear my brain deletes things like that, lol. Anyway, my dad only was a chaperon once because although he is a parent, he hates kids. Plus, other than saying "don't do that, stop that" chaperons had no authority over the kids. None. They couldn't say "if you do that again, you will sit on the bus" or whatever. I'm guessing they had to go find a teacher, but you know how chaotic it gets when a whole school (or even just one grade) goes on a trip.

It's crazy that people expect to get in without paying! I mean, everyone else had to pay, but of course that doesn't apply to them...
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Our most popular programs are for 4th graders (9-10 years old). We have a few for older & younger kids. We do get the a few kindergarten (5-6 years) or high school group & we adapt.

We also get the occasional scout troop, church youth group, foreign student exchange, or commercial educational tour. Homeschool groups can be the toughest, because they bring kids of a wide range of ages and there is no person in charge, to whom we can appeal when the kids are being horrible. (Usually, one parent collects the money and makes the reservation, but each family brings their own kids. Short of a kid getting punched in the nose, adults will not intervene in another family's "parenting choices," no matter how badly the kids are behaving.)

When I start a program, it takes maybe 5 minutes to be able to tell if the teacher is good, bad or indifferent. Class control & behavior, as well has how organized the teacher is, almost always correlate to how much the kids seem to have already learned & how good they are at learning even more.

More fun: We can handle special needs students, but we need to know in advance. A sign language interpreter will show things down & we need to plan for that. No, we will not provide the interpreter. No, we will not discount you for bringing your own interpreter. A large number of wheelchairs or service animals take up more room than usual, so your group is going to have to be smaller. Some programs where the kids stand or sit on the floor have to be modified for wheelchairs.

If this is a special education program for kids with autism, or some other disorder that affects behavior or attention span, we need to be sure you have a volunteer who knows how to work with them. We may have to suggest that we aren't right for you, or that it would be better done if we came to your school. We are a family museum. If you simple show up with a group who uncontrollably shout obscenities, the ADA says we have every right to ask them to leave.

Then there was the volunteer who went to a school for an outreach program. A few hours later, the program coordinator got two phone calls: the volunteer complaining that "you only gave me enough handouts for half of the kids" and an irate teacher complaining "your volunteer never showed up!"

When the volunteer arrived, a teacher caught her in the parking lot and told her "you're here for my class." Volunteers often only get the name of the school secretary or principal who makes the arrangements, so she didn't think anything of it. It seems another teacher heard about the program & decided to hijack it for her own class. When all was sorted, the principal told the museum staffer that he planned to "talk" to the hijacker, in that tone of voice that indicates that this may not have been the first time something seriously stupid was done, and the talk will be decidedly unpleasant. We comped the return visit for the correct class.

Comment

Then there was the volunteer who went to a school for an outreach program. A few hours later, the program coordinator got two phone calls: the volunteer complaining that "you only gave me enough handouts for half of the kids" and an irate teacher complaining "your volunteer never showed up!"

When the volunteer arrived, a teacher caught her in the parking lot and told her "you're here for my class." Volunteers often only get the name of the school secretary or principal who makes the arrangements, so she didn't think anything of it. It seems another teacher heard about the program & decided to hijack it for her own class. When all was sorted, the principal told the museum staffer that he planned to "talk" to the hijacker, in that tone of voice that indicates that this may not have been the first time something seriously stupid was done, and the talk will be decidedly unpleasant. We comped the return visit for the correct class.
            I hope the hijacker was perman-banned with a warning to the school that they were on thin ice - any more behavior of this sort and EVERYBODY buys a perman-ban...

Comment

It seems another teacher heard about the program & decided to hijack it for her own class.
              But why should she go to all the work of making the arrangements? After all, it's SO much easier to catch the volunteer in the parking lot and tell them that hers is the class which booked the program. Bonus points if the parents of the other class paid for it - her class gets it free.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                sounds like they're in their 30s and 40s
                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Bonus points if the parents of the other class paid for it - her class gets it free.
                  Please tell us hijacking school got billed out the wazoo and the hijacked school got compensated!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                    Please tell us hijacking school got billed out the wazoo and the hijacked school got compensated!
                    It was all the same school. It was a teacher who did the hijacking. The program coordinator told me she got the distinct impression that the hijacker was probably going to be invited to leave the school at the end of the term--last straw, etc.

We did do a freebie for the hijacked class.

Comment

It was all the same school. It was a teacher who did the hijacking. The program coordinator told me she got the distinct impression that the hijacker was probably going to be invited to leave the school at the end of the term--last straw, etc.

We did do a freebie for the hijacked class.
                      I'm glad the hijacked class got taken care of.

I'm guessing "invited to leave the school" actually translates into "just what in the @#%&! did you think you were doing? Your contract will be terminated at the end of the semester!"

Comment

I have chaperoned some of my older son's field trips and you better believe I was on those kids like a duck on a June bug. Luckily the groups I have had have been pretty delightful children (although I had to do a lot of "STOP RUNNING ALREADY"). Why even chaperone if all you want to do is ignore the kids in favor of your phone? The point is helping out WHILE SPENDING TIME WITH YOUR KID AND THEIR FRIENDS.

My kid goes to a school with lots of involved parents though, which is very fortunate for everyone.
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

@AnaKhouri

I get requests to go on field trips with my son's class because, to quote the teacher, "you're not afraid of the kids." Apparently some of the other parents they've had accompany them are doing exactly what's mentioned earlier in the post, paying attention to only their kid and/or their phone. Sure, I'll check a text or something, but I'm not going to lose myself in FB or games.

I'm also tall, so it's easy for grade schoolers to find me, apparently. And if volume is needed, I've got that too. Very effective "dad bellow" lol. Can be heard on the other side of a stadium, or by everybody in a 10,000 sq ft pool hall.

Comment

Working...
                          X