Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't tell me to slow down. Then don't say that it's more important to be accurate than fast. I wasn't even measuring your fabric. I wasn't even helping you yet. I was rolling fabric back onto a bolt, and YES I was doing it QUICKLY. I can do it quickly and it won't affect accuracy. The fabric was on the bolt, and it wasn't falling off, it was just fine. I do this all the time. It has to be fast.

(Same lady) Don't ask for another inch because the last time your fabric was crooked. Here's how I measure: I square the fabric, making sure it is straight along the yardstick, and along the cutting line (vertical and horizontal) and that's it. I'm not really allowed to measure by the grain of the fabric, and I'm going to put that argument aside for the moment, because I do think it's a valid argument. However I don't get to just give extra fabric for that reason. (Unless it's a woven fabric, with a pattern and then I can cut on the pattern) If the edge is crooked, I measure from the short point, that's all. When I buy fabric I buy extra if I need it to be perfectly straight on the grain. It sucks, but we're a cheap store and you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by notalwaysright; 04-21-2016, 06:20 PM.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Again, quit whining about the price of fuel! I don't set the price. Either suck it up and pay, or piss off. Your choice.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

• I told you no less than three times that you got that email to alert you of an ONLINE deal. You just kept arguing so the manager made me give it to you. Even your mom was telling you to order it online. You wouldn't have even had to pay shipping.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          When I buy fabric I buy extra if I need it to be perfectly straight on the grain. It sucks, but we're a cheap store and you get what you pay for.
          Yep. And if we pulled a thread every time to get things on grain (like we're supposed to do with burlap - but it's burlap - so...why bother?) there would just be a little black pile of soot where an employee was from customers staring lasers at her. People want fast and cheap more than anything else. It's ridiculous to expect fabric to be project-ready straight from the store. You've still got to wash, press, and square it at home. Not a week goes by that I don't get at least a few customers asking if I can basically cut their project out for them or cut off the selvedges. Um, seriously, you're going to spend $50 plus on material but won't invest in a fresh pair of scissors?

I hate the dirty looks I get sometimes for not knowing what a certain fabric or notion is. Once again, we're a cheap store - none of us were hired or paid to be experts. Though often we do know about our particular craft, just not all of them.

Another sucktomer random thought: Stop getting pissy with me because we don't have x item in stock or in the amount you need. I have no control over it and I just don't care. Stop moaning at me about how you came allll the way down here for x. That was your choice.

Comment

• Am I the only customer who understands how things work in the craft world? If I want cheap fabric to use for backing, I go to cheap craft place. If I want expensive fabric to stitch on, I go to the expensive place where they do pull threads to be sure that my expensive fabric is square. There is a big difference between 4 dollar a yard fabric and 18 dollar a foot fabric. How hard is that to understand?

Comment

• Quoth chimera View Post
              I hate the dirty looks I get sometimes for not knowing what a certain fabric or notion is. Once again, we're a cheap store - none of us were hired or paid to be experts. Though often we do know about our particular craft, just not all of them.
              BTDT. Sewing a costume? I've got experience in that, and can give you good advice. Crocheting a sweater? Well, I can tell you where the yarn and hooks are, but after that, you're on your own.

And just because I know which end of the sewing machine the pointy sharp thing goes in, does not mean I'm going to sew your project for you. I've read enough horror stories here to not want to sew for anyone outside of my immediate family. (Yes, I did actually have someone think that my saying, "yes, I know how to sew" meant "sure, I'll sew you a pair of shorts!" She argued with me for several minutes, even though I never promised her a damn thing. Don't you just love Selective Hearing?)
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

• Go ahead and give me a dirty look. It's not my fault you decided to shop in a mall on a Saturday and walked up to a closed register. I turned that light off a minute ago and unless you want to drive me to the grocery store, go to an open line.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Having a Bud Light can in your car's cup holder is probably a bad idea, even if it is empty and being used as an ashtray.

It says you have shitty taste in beer.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• Hey! I resemble that remark. Looks at can of Bud Light sitting on my desk.

My car doesn't have an ash tray, so I stick my hand out the window and field strip my butts. Then I put them in an empty cig box. When that gets full, I just throw the whole thing out. No littering, no fire danger.

Once, I was at the library and saw a bunch of teenagers hanging out. Cool, reading is always a good thing. (I rarely lock my car, there is nothing in it worth stealing and I'd rather not have someone break a window to find that out.) So I went inside to get my book fix and lit a cig when I left. That's when I saw that someone had stolen my butt box! I spent the day at the idea of some kid thinking he had scored a pack of cigs, grabbing it and running behind the library for a smoke!!!

Comment

• Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      It says you have shitty taste in beer.
                      So I went to a party at my niece's house. Knowing they like the light beers I brought a cooler full of heavy beer. I didn't get to drink too many of them because everyone else was sucking them down.

OK, so it's my version of proselytizing.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        So I went to a party at my niece's house. Knowing they like the light beers I brought a cooler full of heavy beer. I didn't get to drink too many of them because everyone else was sucking them down.

OK, so it's my version of proselytizing.
                        I've done something similar. Knowing that a group of friends likes dry drinks, I bring a bottle of mead, which is the opposite of dry. I expect to drink it all myself, but damn if they didn't convert and suddenly like sweet drinks. I got one glass.

Suckometer complaint of the day: Customer burst into the store the instant we opened, only to ask endless questions about our online fabrics. So the employee (not me, thank goodness) goes to the computer and asks what fabrics the customer is talking about, since customer can only specify the color and nothing else. Customer is apparently baffled by this. Employee says feel free to use this computer to find the fabrics, in the mean time I need to help these other customers. Customer immediately goes to the register to complain that she can't get service.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I've done something similar. Knowing that a group of friends likes dry drinks, I bring a bottle of mead, which is the opposite of dry. I expect to drink it all myself, but damn if they didn't convert and suddenly like sweet drinks. I got one glass.
                          Mead is rarely brought to a party (unless you're in the SCA). Your friends pounced on it like the rare treat it is. It'd be like bringing Bailey's to a party; that stuff's going to be gone so fast you'd think it evaporated.
                          Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          Suckometer complaint of the day: Customer burst into the store the instant we opened, only to ask endless questions about our online fabrics. So the employee (not me, thank goodness) goes to the computer and asks what fabrics the customer is talking about, since customer can only specify the color and nothing else.
                          Why didn't she research those online fabrics while she was online?! Brain cells, people. You have them. Use them.

But yeah, that's the fabric store business. We have tens of thousands of fabrics, and our customers seem to think we have all of them completely memorized, so they never bring SKUs or UPCs or even write down the fabric name. Then when it turns out that we're actual human beings and not the mobile computers they seem to think we are, it's "bad customer service".
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

• Next time you whistle at me like a dog

I'ma bite you like a dog.

How you like me now, fucker?
                            Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

• Yes, I'm ignoring you. Why? Well, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the customers around you know how to ask for help. I help the registers that indicate they actually need help (via flashy-thing or a variant on "Excuse me"). Note that none of the people I'm helping were waving their hands, clearing their throat, whistling, yelling, or making any other noises.

You will be ignored for as long as I can get away with it, and if D does try some passive-aggressive ploy to force me to help I will call both of you out.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                                Mead is rarely brought to a party (unless you're in the SCA). Your friends pounced on it like the rare treat it is. It'd be like bringing Bailey's to a party; that stuff's going to be gone so fast you'd think it evaporated.
                                That's why brown paper bags were invented. They're not just for hiding the Old Rot Gut bottle, but for making people thinking you have Old Rot Gut when in reality you have Sweet Nectar.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X