This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New position

So, I officially got the position I was trying for. Instead of doing pretty much everything, I'm now specialized for home equity loans alone.

And it's BUSY.

This is a good thing, in general. I like being busy. Down time at work is not my friend, and usually means that I'm responsible to try to FIND work (aka: sales). There is nothing resembling sales in my new position. No upsales. No calls to customers who I'm not currently working with. Generally no calls FROM customers who I'm not currently working with. My job is to do my work, do it quickly, and try not to get too far behind (catching up is not really an option, though I'm told it might happen at some point mid-winter, if I'm lucky.)

I have approximately 100 applications I am responsible for processing. Average processing time is 3 weeks. That gives me approximately 72 minutes per application from start to finish. 72 minutes total to handle every phone call with the borrower, order the appraisal, title search, flood certification, verify the proof of income and home insurance, talk with the borrower more, set up the final closing appointment and prepare the final paperwork for that paperwork along with closing instructions for the loan representative who will actually be sitting down with the customer at signing. 72 minutes to try to make each customer feel like I'm giving their loan my full attention. 72 minutes is... not enough. Which is why I get overtime every week.

As such, most of my SC complaints come from customers who do not realize that, while I will do my best for them, they are not anywhere close to the only person in my workload.

So, when I ask for the copy of your condo's insurance policy, that does NOT mean providing me with a phone number so I can call up the insurance company myself. I do not have the time to sit on hold with YOUR condo's insurance company to request a copy of the declarations. Just like I cannot request your pay-stubs from your workplace or your tax returns from the IRS.

So, when I tell you that your old mortgage with Mega Big Bank was not released properly and that we will NOT complete the home equity loan as a third lien (which it will be if there are two UNreleased mortgages currently on the home when there is only SUPPOSED to be your current 1st mortgage) that does not mean I'm going to be able to fix it. YOU must contact Mega Bank. YOU must request that they do their job and release the mortgage on the loan you paid off 10 years ago. I can and will explain the issue in terms that you can understand, since I certain do not expect you to know my jargon. I can provide you a copy of the title search that shows the mortgage in question and the fact that it was never released. I can even provide you a copy of the recorded mortgage that was not released. I CANNOT, however, spend the time trying to contact Mega Bank on your behalf. I sympathize that their customer service stinks and it takes forever to get in touch with anyone, but I can't fix this for you. Even if I did call them for you, they wouldn't talk to me because I am not YOU.

And ma'am, you are very sweet, but I have other people waiting to hear from me and your grandchildrens' activities have nothing to do with your loan. (I used to think I was busy, but I did have time to talk a little with customers about non-business before. Now... I just don't.) I hate interrupting, but I find I am being forced to in order to move things along, though so far I've been able to do so in such a way as to keep anyone from getting upset at me.

And sir, you don't like the fees for the home equity loan and plan on taking your business to Other Bank (who charges an annual fee that will add up to WAY more than our one-time no-profit to us, pass-through cost of the services necessary to complete your application)? I'm not fighting for your business. The loan officers can do that. My job is to 1) determine the exact costs for your application 2) make certain you are aware of those exact costs and 3) find out if you intend to proceed with the application so I can get the appraisal and other services ordered, or if you intend to cancel so I can move on to the next application.

I am busy! I have more applications than I can give the best customer service to. I get NO commissions,NO bonuses. I care about you getting accurate information and that you know what you are getting into. I do NOT care if you cancel. Guess what? Part of my job is to cancel applications. This is a loan on your HOUSE. If you aren't sure about it, it SHOULD be canceled. If I am not certain about it, it WILL be canceled.

... I really like my new position. I'm allowed to not deal with customer bulls**t (so long as I'm polite about it) and it ROCKS.
    Last edited by bankworking; 05-01-2016, 03:42 PM.

Interesting about the workload. I got my mortgage modified a few years ago and I had more trouble getting anyone on the phone. Probably because I cared a lot more than they did. This was during the worst of the mortgage mess and I took advantage of what the banks were doing to get a modification. They could have had twice as many loans as they could handle. My frustration was multiple requests for the same info.

Good luck with your job. Sounds good not having to kow tow to complainers.

Comment

Working...
    X