This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer service doesn't mean divulging medical information

I just got a "huge" customer complaint, according to the boss mentioned in this thread: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=114270

I was walking up to my register and bumped my hand and got a small cut. It didn't seem too bad but it turned into a bleeder. I had scanned a couple of items when the woman point-blank asked me "Do you have carpal tunnel?" because of my braces. I do not want to talk about it, but not answering is rude so I say yes. The conversation goes like this:
    "Oh, that must hurt!"
    "It doesn't hurt; it's not that bad." I'm looking at service desk wondering who can bring me a bandage and no one is available, even Boss Lady, who is on a register like she's not supposed to be. I flash my light.
    "But it must be painful; you have braces." At this point I'm offended because I literally just told her it doesn't hurt, and she can't see I don't want to discuss it. Let me interject that afterward my boss had no idea why I was offended because she says she asks strangers about their med issues if they are the same as her daughter's.

She starts to ask me a question about her coffee pot and at this point I realize I've gotten blood on one of her mugs so I say "I'm sorry; I'm going to have to get a bandaid for this. I've gotten blood on some of your stuff."

I go to get a bandaid and my coworker next lane over takes care of her. When I come back I offer to get her another cup, since I bled on hers. She answers that it doesn't bother her; she's a nurse. Then she should know about blood-borne diseases and HIPPA, too.

It turns out she was upset that after I bandaged my cut I was happy again, but had "denigrated" her. So challenging and bringing up my medical info around others isn't denigrating me? It's rude at best. She said she'd only been trying to "make chitchat, as the cashiers are supposed to do." I am super offended she'd complain that I was distressed at getting blood on her stuff and being asked personal questions about my medical issues. And my boss totally takes her side and is going to talk to the store manager and HR.

Update: I did get a write-up and if it happens again I will be "on thin ice". I know it will happen again. People here are nosy. Some points from the complaint that don't add up:

--In my last conversation with Boss Lady I brought up the fact that I offered to get another mug for the customer. Boss' response: "Oh, she complained about that, too." She complained about my blood or the fact that I offered to make it right? I don't know, but I wonder why did she complain if she declined the offer because, as she said, it didn't bother her?
    --She told Boss that she wasn't offended that I said no, it didn't hurt, because she figured maybe it was a touchy subject, like domestic violence and she could let that go. But she didn't let it go. She kept talking about it. Apparently it *did* bother her.
    --After I took care of my hand I felt better and wasn't distressed. This offended her. What was I supposed to do, shake my hands and continue to whine about my owie?

I'm sick of it all. I'd rather work fast food. At least most people go in to eat, not psychoanalyze the employees.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 04-12-2016, 12:34 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

...and when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You have some nosy customers. Try this. Do you have carpal tunnel? No. What is it? Nothing important. Tell me! Here's your bag maam.

Next time you bleed, go get a bandaid. Most of us will be unhappy if you bleed. Something's weird about this woman. Does she want the stuff for free now? Probably. Denigrating is a weird choice of complaint. (And I'm sorry, there's no HIPAA between you and customers or even you and your boss. There's just your dignity which apparently you're supposed to discard at the door.)

Comment

You know, she is weird. She complained that I went to get a bandaid.

BTW, I have a write-up now.
        Last edited by Food Lady; 04-11-2016, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I'm legally blind, and the condition is visible if you know what to look for. Some customers have. When asked about it, I have flat out told them I do not feel comfortable discussion my eye condition. They usually drop it after that.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Why are there so many nosy idiots out there? I would never ask a stranger about braces of any kind! Sorry you had to go through this. Ugh.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You actually got written up? How did they word it? I assume it wasn't "Food Lady didn't act exactly the way the customer felt she should, and additionally she had to get a bandaid, which "denigrated" the customer." The people where you live are not normal. Are the people where I live sucky? Yes. Do they ask personal questions... Not really. The most I've gotten is "do you go to Local University?" Or the occasional, "you look tired." Which is dumb, but whatever.

I hope you file a complaint or refuse to sign the stupid write up. I still can't even imagine that wrote you up for. Attitude? Also, the same as my post in your other thread, it's completely immaterial what would or wouldn't offend your manager. Your manager doesn't get to decide that, and if they wrote you up for it, yay! By that I mean that you could do some serious damage with documentation like that.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

It probably wouldn't hurt to request a copy of the write-up either.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

She hasn't written it yet, but yes, it needs to be "documented". I'm sure I'll get a copy. I don't know what will happen if I refuse to sign.

Quoth Shyla View Post
                  Something's weird about this woman. Does she want the stuff for free now? Probably. Denigrating is a weird choice of complaint.
                  She declined the coupons she was offered. She said she didn't want free stuff. I think she wants to tell me how I feel, that I'm in pain when I'm not. I'm glad she's not a nurse in my doctor's office!
                  Last edited by Food Lady; 04-12-2016, 12:32 AM.

Comment

This isn't right. You shouldn't have to discuss your medical issues with nosy customers. Isn't there someone you could talk to about this, the Labor Board or someone? Your employer is the one on thin ice here, not you. I'm pretty sure what they're doing is bordering on, if not actually illegal.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      --She told Boss that she wasn't offended that I said no, it didn't hurt, because she figured maybe it was a touchy subject, like domestic violence and she could let that go.
                      Yeah, she was so unoffended she escalated it into a complaint and got you in trouble. That's not letting it go! Most people would drop it if they thought they'd hit on a touchy subject and understand the other person doesn't want to talk about it. What kind of person complains to management because a cashier doesn't want to talk about a touchy subject? An insensitive, nosy battleaxe, that's what kind.

That whole statement makes it sound like she thinks people are obligated to talk to her about anything personal, so long as it's not touchy. No, they aren't. It's called boundaries, lady.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        This isn't right. You shouldn't have to discuss your medical issues with nosy customers. Isn't there someone you could talk to about this, the Labor Board or someone? Your employer is the one on thin ice here, not you. I'm pretty sure what they're doing is bordering on, if not actually illegal.
                        I don't think I have a leg to stand on. The company isn't requiring me to talk about my medical stuff. My boss has never told me I have to answer questions, only that I'm not allowed to be offended at such questions. That's not illegal. It's just a stupid opinion.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          My boss has never told me I have to answer questions, only that I'm not allowed to be offended at such questions. That's not illegal. It's just a stupid opinion.
                          If they actually say on the write up that it is specifically because you were offended, I would agree with XCashier, that's skirting the line. I doubt they'd say it like that, though.

I really hope you're able to get out of there. So many (most, all?) of your posts are about how nosy, pushy, and controlling the people are. I just know I could not deal with that. I have resting bitch face even on good days, I can't even imagine how the people there would react to me. Also I have so many quips on the tip of my tongue it's a wonder I've lasted as long as I have in retail.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            I really hope you're able to get out of there. So many (most, all?) of your posts are about how nosy, pushy, and controlling the people are.
                            I have to. It's at the point where I dread going to work because I don't know what crazy behavior with which I'll be blindsided next. 11 years of my life wasted in a job that aggravates my medical issues and thus puts my job in jeopardy (via complaints). I ran into this stuff somewhat in other jobs, but not to this degree. And almost never in CA. It was just scammers there, and that stuff doesn't bother me.

The way I see it, I have 6 months to find something. One of these crazy situations hits about every 6 months to a year, the last one being in September. I want this job down to very part time by then (have a bunch of debts I wanna pay off this year).
                            Last edited by Food Lady; 04-12-2016, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              ...and when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life.
                              Simpsons reference...
                              Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Working...
                              X