This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coloring books are serious business!

Had an afternoon shift today, and all the loonies came out of the woodwork. Ran register for the first half of my shift, and the line ebbed and flowed like the tide. I’d think I was helping the last person in line, look up and there’d be ten new people waiting! I’m grateful for my coworkers who kept running to the registers to answer my calls.

Go to break, then go to cut counter. Counter is slow, so I stock thread. Customer came up to me, complaining about the pictures in our adult coloring books. “They’re so repetitive! I don’t want to color fifty spools of thread!” Okay, lady, I am not in charge of producing the coloring books. Take it up with the manufacturer. “You don’t get better pictures, a lot of people are going to be mad at you!” Mad at me, personally. Over coloring books. Seriously, she was yelling, practically foaming at the mouth over coloring books. Talk about first world problems.

Had several more customers who couldn’t figure out that fabric store ≠ hardware store. I was asked for upholstery paint (is there even such a thing?), wood stain, doorknobs and plastic sleeves for curtain hooks, none of which we carry. I really cannot fathom some people’s thought processes. What’s really silly is there is an Orange Apron store right across the street from us. It’s hard to miss. Why not go there?

Now I remember why I prefer the stocking shifts. It’s worth getting up at oh-dark-thirty to miss dealing with idiots.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Quoth XCashier View Post
    I was asked for upholstery paint (is there even such a thing?),
    Only place I could see this being used would be to re-dye vinyl upholstery in a car.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Doorknobs?

DOORKNOBS?!

DOOR - EFFIN - KNOBS?!!!!

And to think, If I killed him, I'd go to jail..... doesn't seem fair does it?
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

They may have been thinking of Fabric Paint.
        The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Adults have gotten into coloring books because supposedly it helps people focus, keep calm, and reduce stress.

Clearly this woman needs them.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Ugh, I saw the title and was like "freaking adult coloring books." I remember not knowing this was a thing. I wish I could go back to that time. It's funny, I haven't noticed thread in those books... They're mostly floral or geometric patterns? We still have a problem keeping color pencils in stock. We always have plain Crayola pencils, but nooooo, people want the nicer ones.

We have upholstery spray paint, but I don't know if your store carries them, they're in the fabric paint aisle. We also have wood stain. This is part of the problem, stores not having the same products. It's not like you or I would know every product that every store in the company carries. We do not have doorknobs, and what are plastic sleeves for curtain hooks???

I regularly get people asking for fishing line. I mean, often. (usually to hang ornaments and such, but still, think about what you're asking for)

Also, we're not an office supply store. We might carry some things, but they will usually be more expensive. Like pencils. We have them, but not cheap #2 pencils. Ours are nice drawing pencils. Hey, here's a thought! Walk out to the parking lot. Keep walking for about 30 seconds. You are now at an office supply store.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              Go to break, then go to cut counter. Counter is slow, so I stock thread. Customer came up to me, complaining about the pictures in our adult coloring books. “They’re so repetitive! I don’t want to color fifty spools of thread!” Okay, lady, I am not in charge of producing the coloring books. Take it up with the manufacturer. “You don’t get better pictures, a lot of people are going to be mad at you!” Mad at me, personally. Over coloring books. Seriously, she was yelling, practically foaming at the mouth over coloring books. Talk about first world problems.
              um..... i hate to break it to miss princess here... but they are kind of SUPPOSE to be repetitive!!!!

they contain complex images that require better hand eye coordination and reasoning that childrens coloring books, and repetitive patterns are a use to allow for maximum creativity cause when you have those 50 spools you can do multicolor, patterned colors or varying. ive eve known people to copy a page and use it to wallpaper or line something!

if she wants less repetitive images in her books she either needs to give in and buy only color books for children, specific francises (from my experience harry potter dr. who and star wars adult color books tend to only have about 5 pages of repetitive images the rest are thematic scenes) or do what ever EDU student i know who uses adult coloring books does, buy a few when they can get them cheap and just copy the pages you really like and color the copies instead. It usually cheaper.

Comment

Haynes now do colouring books filled with the cutaway car pictures from the fronts of their manuals... I'm finally tempted.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I tell you, I was seriously tempted to rant right back at her. "You know, there are people in this world who are starving, who are terminally ill, living in poverty or under oppressive governments, but gosh oh golly, none of that compares to the sheer torture you must've gone through coloring a slightly annoying picture!!!"

The utter entitlement and appalling self-absorbtion of some people just amazes me. One of these days, I'm afraid I will snap and tell some spoiled brat what I really think of their first world problems. And I'll be looking for a new job the next day.
                  My LiveJournal

Comment

Wait...coloring books for ADULTS are a thing?!

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      Wait...coloring books for ADULTS are a thing?!
                      Yes.
                      I have two, myself.
                      I want to get more, but they are expensive.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Dover has been making what are essentially adult coloring books for years, and they are usually between $4,99-$6.99. Very cool, lots of fashion and history ones. Everyone who works in bookstores laughs at the adult coloring craze because Dover has ALWAYS done that!
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I had trouble understanding this at first, because I figured adult coloring books must be, you know, adult coloring books.

Comment

Going the opposite direction, I work at a hardware store, and we get people asking for sewing stuff (and party supplies) on a regular basis.
                            The nuttiest was the guy who asked if we carried condoms, but at least he didn't argue with me when I told him no.

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
                              I had trouble understanding this at first, because I figured adult coloring books must be, you know, adult coloring books.
                              Understandable, but that is what they're called, meaning they're more complex than children's coloring books. (The kind you were thinking of probably do exist, but not at my store!)
                              Quoth taeraresh View Post
                              Going the opposite direction, I work at a hardware store, and we get people asking for sewing stuff (and party supplies) on a regular basis.
                              The nuttiest was the guy who asked if we carried condoms, but at least he didn't argue with me when I told him no.
                              Amazing. They must assume that every store is Wally World. They probably go to pet supply stores looking for car batteries, or lingerie stores for steel-toed boots, too.
                              Last edited by XCashier; 04-16-2016, 05:56 PM.
                              My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                              X