This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth drjonah View Post
    Once when an elderly man tried the whole 'You look bored' shtick, I told him "I haven't been bored since 1976".
    I'm going to have to use that one!
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I feel ya!

I work in a small college library (we have like 400 students). But it's a real, working library - complete with incoming books that need to be barcoded and shelved.

The librarians also intake, catalog, barcode, and distribute the textbooks during the first weeks of class. We also box up extras and send them back at the end of the semester. We do a lot.

Yesterday, I walked in around 1pm (I tend to get the night shifts) with my backpack on, lunch in hand, bag of candy from the dollar store (I fill the candy jar), some poetry books for a display, hell, I still had my sunglasses on.

Student stands in front of me as I enter the door.

"Can I check out this book?"

Uh, can I clock in first? Can I get the check-out program up and running? Can I put my STUFF DOWN?
      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
        Heh, I did shut down the whole "I just printed this" 'jokers' a few times when I worked in retail. I'd tell them "I'm sorry, I can't accept this, you've stated that it's counterfeit. One moment please while I call the Treasury Department to notify them. What did you say your name was?"
        Ah, I remember my retail days and how upset people were when I would refuse jokes because of the whole "I printed it this morning" joke... sorry, I have a sense of humor, but not when it comes to fireable offenses, such as knowingly taking a counterfit bill.

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post

My job is literally to sell you the tickets you desire. You don't need to apologise or make excuses in order to make use of my services; just cut to the chase already!
        I get that a lot... "I'm sorry to waste your time"... umm, if you got my direct extension it is because I have already worked with you at least once, and my job is to walk you through the audit (or review) process from beginning to end... it isn't ended until you fully understand everything that has happened, so you calling and asking me (what are admittedly sometimes stupid) questions is exactly what my time is for. Now, if I'm covering the main line and this is the third time that I've spoken to you because you can't understand that "motor carrier" and "motorcycle" aren't the same thing, and for some reason you thought you needed an auditor to deal with getting your motorcycle endorsement, then you are wasting my time.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I've ticked off more than one person by not laughing at a very tired, old joke. Surprised I didn't get complaints. But what does one say to a manager? "Her sense of humor isn't to my liking"?

Comment

'You look bored'
            'And you look like a moron.Perhaps sometimes appearances can be misleading? '
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post

Uh, can I clock in first? Can I get the check-out program up and running? Can I put my STUFF DOWN?
              BTDT. I keep my stuff underneath the SCO paystation, and typically get accosted by impatient people when I'm putting my stuff away (not clocked in yet, not even in uniform).

I have one shift lead who's notorious for telling customers that "register X is open" even before the assigned cashier gets there. Result is you have SCs trying to throw their crap across the scanner before you're actually signed into the register. When you do sign in, their reply to "Hi how are you?" is "Took you long enough, can't you see I'm in a hurry?" (one of the reasons I despise ringing)
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                When you do sign in, their reply to "Hi how are you?" is "Took you long enough, can't you see I'm in a hurry?" (one of the reasons I despise ringing)
                "Why, I'm just fine, thank you so much! You're so sweet and thoughtful!" Say that to the griper and see if it breaks his brain.

Oh, but he's in a hurry. Guess what, buddy? So is everyone else in the store. If you're in such a bloody hurry, why did you stop to shop instead of racing to your destination?

I swear some people honestly think they are the only person on the planet.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

"You look like you need something to do."
                  "Oh, sorry.... I'm a little distracted. My little brother got his arm caught in the microwave and my grandmother dropped acid and freaked out and hijacked a school bus full of penguins so it's kind of a family emergency."

Comment

OOOOOHHHHHHH that will not scan. I guess IT is FREE

----------------------------------
                    I have had that a couple of times at my job.
                    I usually just laugh it off and scan their items.

Lil' annoying though.

Comment

"I know it's not your fault, but..." is not exactly a joke, but still a repetitive sentence I hear all the time. I just want to reach over, put my hand over their mouth and say, "No, it isn't. So hush."

Regarding jokes, hear the "tee hee you look bored" one a lot as, due to my Aspergers, I find smiling difficult so often have a blank face. Ha ha, my sides just split.

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post

I need to walk in at the absolute hairline stroke of the hour because of people like that. The weird thing is that if I walk in on time, no one bugs me for half an hour or so, but if I walk in five minutes early, half the office is up in my face wondering why I'm just sitting there.

Our offices are on the fifth floor of a fifteen-story building with multiple businesses in disparate capacities, and I've been buttonholed on the street walking from my car by people who reel off a dozen questions, none of which I can answer until I'm sitting at my desk and logged on.

No, I don't know anything about the issues they had earlier in the day. No, I don't know anything about the job you put on my desk. I'm just walking in the door/taking off my coat/perched on the shitter in the stall next to you; could you perhaps elicit my attention at a more convenient moment?
                        Last edited by EricKei; 04-24-2016, 06:57 PM. Reason: snip

Comment

I was at an event at my school today and saw a guy walk up to a couple volunteers and say "you look bored." The volunteers in question are a lot less irritable than I am, so they just said something about it being a long day. I mean, many of us had got there at about 7:00 for a meeting and set up. Plus it's just a long hectic day, even at a well run event. It was now about 4:30. So, these guys were *gasp* sitting and resting, and this guy says "you look bored"? No, sir, not bored. Tired.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Appropriate cartoon for this topic:

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                              "I know it's not your fault, but..."
                              I don't mind that one too much, because I get it, I've been on the other side of that one, I look at it as an apology in advance, that yes, I know it's not your fault, I'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the situation, and even though I'm trying not to take it out on you, unfortunately you're involved in the situation now with me.
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

^ I feel the same. It puts me in the position to sympathize with the person.

Comment

Working...
                                X