Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Thousand SC At the same time...

Those boardmembers in the UK may have been aware of the recent UEFA footie match in Manchester.

Some of you might even have a vague idea as to the behaviour of the rangers fans in Manchester.

Below are extracts from the Incident logs on the railway network around Manchester after the match.

NR = Network Rail
    TPE = Transpennine Express
    BTP = British Transport Police
    MPSCC = Manchester Piccadilly Station Control Centre

EVENTS
    Date Time Co Description
    14/05 2200 NR Call received from the TPE station staff at Manchester Piccadilly advising that football supporters are walking on the track on platforms 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14, train running stopped, BTP are in attendance, but the large volume of passengers is growing.
    14/05 2210 NR TPE Radio conversations confirm the passenger volumes are un-manageable, TPE staff have withdrawn from the platforms, all passengers are now clear of the lines, but there is no train dispatch staff.
    14/05 2220 NR Call received from the Network Rail Station Manager, at Manchester Piccadilly advises that preparations are underway to evacuate Manchester Piccadilly, due the volume of passenger and the unsafe conditions.
    14/05 2241 NR Station Manager at Manchester Piccadilly advises that Manchester Piccadilly is now closed due to disorder.
    14/05 2242 NR Station Manager at Manchester Piccadilly advises Platform 13 & 14 are now closed due to disorder, Station staff have withdrawn from the platform.
    14/05 2245 NR BT Police Control Sergeant informed of events and that the station staff are afraid to leave their office, will arrange for officers to accompany the station staff to despatch trains they also reported that GM Police are sending a Tactical Support Group to the station to assist BT Police in gaining control.
    14/05 2254 NR Station Manager at Manchester Piccadilly advises Platforms 1 TO 9 are now open.
    14/05 2258 NR Report received from the Conductor on 1N70 21:47hrs Manchester Airport to Blackpool North advising that when he passed through Deansgate Station, he heard a thud on the side of the unit, and he thought someone had fell between the train and the platform. MPSCC advised and they utilised 2H90 21:36hrs Clitheroe to Buxton to examine the line.

BTP advised, log reference 738
    14/05 2303 NR Route Control Manager advises that the Driver of 2H90 has reported the line all clear, nothing seen. BTP updated.
    14/05 2304 NR Northern Trains Station Manager contacted and informs that the BT Poice have just arrived to accompany the station staff on their duties, also reported that several members of Northern Trains station staff have been assaulted. TPE Control Manager also reports that they have had their Operations Manager assaulted on the platform. Network Rail station manager informs no reported injuries to Network Rail employee's.
    14/05 2307 NR MPSCC advises that train running has resumed on Platform 14.
    14/05 2311 NR MPSCC advises that Platforms 9 to 14 are blocked again, passengers are running lineside.
    14/05 2327 NR MPSCC advises that Platforms 13 and 14 are now open, they still have a few passengers trespassers on the remaining platforms / track.
    14/05 2329 NR Manchester Piccadilly now fully operational, services still being delayed due to volume of passengers and difficulties dispatching trains.
    15/05 0005 NR Manchester Piccadilly Station Manager informs that a number of coaches have arrived at the station's Fairfield street entrance to take passengers to Preston and Blackpool.
    15/05 0015 NR 1N71 2247 Manchester Airport - Blackpool North has been stood at Manchester Oxford Road station as the guard is unable to leave his cab and passengers are holding the doors open, passengers have attempted to drag the driver out of the window he is now secure and no injuries have been reported. Six BT Police officers are on the station but can not make their way through to the train.
    15/05 0021 NR Northern Trains inform that 2D48 2309 Manchester Picc - Chester is cancelled after the passengers started vandalising units 142061 & 142026, the guard has left the train and the driver alighted via the window as passengers would not let him leave by the door. Train cancelled.
    15/05 0033 NR TPE inform that there are large crowds blocking the road access to Manchester Piccadilly station (estimated +10,000 with approximately half trying to get to Preston or Blackpool), BT Police informed and confirm that officers are attempting to clear a route for the bus and coach services. There is also +1000 people at Manchester Oxford Road.
    15/05 0037 NR 1N71 departs Manchester Oxford Road (81' late).
    15/05 0045 NR Northern Trains inform 323235 has had a door badly damaged by passengers at Manchester Piccadilly (working additional service 2T11 2340 Manchester Picc - Manchester Airport), unit taken out of service. 142014 various windows smashed at Manchester Piccadilly station - taken out of service.
    15/05 0426 NR Manchester Piccadilly station staff report there are still lots of football fans in Manchester and the numbers are starting to build up again at Manchester Piccadilly station. BT Police informed have officers on the station monitoring the situation. GM Central (G. Openshaw) updated and is enroute to the station to oversee events and clean up.
    Thankfully i was on the other side of the country dealing with a mere hundred racegoers instead.

Football is completely out of control in this country. I went to my first football game last year (I'm a rugby girl, myself), and i found the entire atmosphere in the stadium and in the surrounding area afterwards absolutely horrible. There was a constant feeling of impending trouble. I've been taking my daughter to rugby matches in the UK and abroad since she was a few months old (she was actually conceived on a rugby trip!!), and never felt the slightest bit concerned for her safety, but there is no way I would allow her to go to a football match under any circumstances.

Glad no-one was badly hurt in the aftermath of that game.
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

Ah, that greatest of British pastimes, football hooliganism.

I know what you're saying BFG, I'm not into any sports myself, but I used to work in one of the BKs in Cardiff, which was a hell of a thing when there was a match on (6 Nations Rugby - yikes.) But always, always after the rugby there was a good-natured, jovial atmosphere (even if it did occasionally feel strained on an English/Welsh match )
      ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

What is it about professional sports that is so attractive to thugs and malconents?

Although, this attitude seems to be almost completely concentrated around football (aka soccer on this side of the pond).

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          What is it about professional sports that is so attractive to thugs and malconents?

Although, this attitude seems to be almost completely concentrated around football (aka soccer on this side of the pond).

^-.-^
          Because those with more brawns than brains always need to prove their "manlyness" and activities that are physical are seen as the perfect manly place to do that, by them?
          I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Not suprised about the amount of people, those of you who've been in that station like me know its bloody huge.

Comment

Must have been Manchester United fans. My fellow Man City fans wouldn't do something like that!

Comment

is it wrong that as read this report i basically saw a dawn of the dead like riot happening?

Comment

Quoth -H- View Post
                  15/05 0021 NR Northern Trains inform that 2D48 2309 Manchester Picc - Chester is cancelled after the passengers started vandalising units 142061 & 142026, the guard has left the train and the driver alighted via the window as passengers would not let him leave by the door. Train cancelled.
                  I will never complain about my train journeys again.

FA Cup tomorrow, I hope Cardiff and Portsmouth can restrain themselves (especially as I am working in a room with many Portsmouth fans that day and I want Cardiff to win)

Comment

I think people were seriously hurt - there was at least one stabbing after that game and some of the pictures I've seen of the aftermath in Manchester are truly shocking.
                    I used to work at a Cardiff McDonald's on match days. Usually one of the out of town ones, but did a few shifts at the one basically opposite the stadium. Rugby matches - fantastic atmosphere, great people. Football matches I'd be locking myself away if I could! I've been attacked more than once for various reasons such as taking 10 seconds to do an order rather than 8, and only after the football lets out.
                    I finish work at 2.30 tomorrow just in time for the match. Although I don't think it'll be easy to get home - might wait until after kickoff!

Comment

Quoth Computer_God View Post
                      Must have been Manchester United fans. My fellow Man City fans wouldn't do something like that!
                      Nope, Rangers. Manchester just hosted the final.

There were apparently 100,000 supporters in the city.

One Russian supported was indeed stabbed, 15 police officers were injured.
                      http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/15/ukcrime1

When English fans go to Moscow for the Champions League final next week, the Russians are planning to have 6000 military and police ready to curb any violence.
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Why do NFL games never get this out of hand? Why is it always soccer?
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                          Why do NFL games never get this out of hand? Why is it always soccer?
                          Because American police have guns and watch a lot of zombie movies, and I suspect the crowds are afraid they might get confused.
                          Check out my webcomic!

Comment

*giggles* i love zombie movies. i always cant help but think if only the enland police had guns, all this bad stuff wouldn't happen, when i watch zombie movies?

Comment

It occurs to me that you could put together a sortof Urban Survival Kit if you have to travel on a game day. Carry an attache case with hats from all the teams you might encounter fans of in it.

When you run into a set of dangerously rowdy fans, duck out of sight, put on the proper hat or other visibly-logo-displaying attire, and travel with the crowd, rather than being a bystander. Only problem is if your crowd runs into a crowd of fans of the other team. But you run that risk as a nondescript bystander anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X