Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RW Meets the Multi-Bag Lady (Slight Rant)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RW Meets the Multi-Bag Lady (Slight Rant)

I have no problem with people using our bags as gift-bags. Heck, they're really nice bags, I'd do it myself if I could. One or two doesn't bother me. I've even set up a couple to look like gift-bags (meaning I put in the tissue paper and made a makeshift bow out of a sheet of paper [origami, it's not hard, people, stop looking amazed]), I have no problem doing that.

What I have a problem with is someone buying a bunch of little things and wanting a bag for. Each. One. That bugs the hell outta me. These aren't cheap bags, I know this because they were made special just for the Fine Chinese Goods Store (nice two-tone paper bags with good taffeta rope for handles, those things can hold quite a lot of weight!).

Lady came in and bought three fortune-cookie style coin purses and requests that each one get their separate bag. I do this for her and ask if they're for gifts since she wanted them in separate bags. She says Yes so I don't press the issue. She pays and goes to Jewelry (I work the Contemporary, meaning the brocades, chopsticks, sushi sets and such) to get her earrings fixed.

She comes back about three hours or so later and buys some brocade jewelry rolls and more coin purses from me. 5 of them, in fact. In their own separate bags. Then she picks up a couple boxes and more coin purses for me to ring up. As she was picking those out I asked Boss-Man if there was a way I could limit the amount of bags she's asking for.

Nope. I have to Make The Customer Happy Because The Customer Is Always Right. (*Cue CS.com Forum Groans*)

I do as the woman asks, all the while screaming in my head, and off she goes. She left her initial purchase behind, though. Crud. Why was she still carrying those? What's wrong with putting them in her car? I dunno.

After she left I acted out my frustrations and the lady next in line laughed (I'm such a comedian) and said that the Multi-Bag Lady wasn't very green. I agreed and mentally made a note to stash my reusable bags in my car when I got home, and continued work.

Tomorrow's my last day at the Fine Chinese Goods Store. I'm returning to my old job at Dollar Tree (horrifying, isn't it?) because I can't afford the 54 mile round-trip it takes me since I'm driving a gas guzzler. Got my eye on a little motorcycle, though. I just have to convince the guy who owns it to sell it to me. Wish me luck.
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Congratulations, you got to deal with a Bag Lady! They're the scurge of the earth, ya know.

Now that I think about it, you've never told any $Tree stories on this board. You should; the others will get a kick out of it and it'll make me happy.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Stories about the DT in Holly Springs start the instant I get one. Working closing shift tomorrow. Woot!
      Last edited by RetailWorkhorse; 05-17-2008, 01:49 AM. Reason: spell the blasted word right, RW!

Comment

ok... what kind of stuff do sell at this store? because i want to know

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
          I'm returning to my old job at Dollar Tree
          /gasp

A fellow DT employee!

WHEE!
          I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
          In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
            ok... what kind of stuff do sell at this store? because i want to know
            Brocade purses, lamps, high end jewelry I can get direct from the source for a couple bucks but here you pay thousands, Netsukes, rugs, a couple komonos (none of the small enough for me, which is why I haven't bought one yet) a couple cerimonial swords, Kensan (Spiky little puddles of metal you stick cut flowers into), lots of plates and dishes. Stuff made in China, Japan, Taiwan, and Indonesia. Some furniture. Lots of stuff but none that *I* can afford on 7$ an hour when the going rate is 10$ an hour... Yes I'm aware I was being ripped off.

Quoth Tee View Post
            /gasp

A fellow DT employee!

WHEE!
            Yes, I'm a DT Workhorse.

Comment

I asked Boss-Man if there was a way I could limit the amount of bags she's asking for.

Nope. I have to Make The Customer Happy Because The Customer Is Always Right.
              Hopefully Boss Man will eventually learn that by letting bag hogs have individual bags for every. single. purchase, it's costing him money.

Yeah, right. What am I thinking?
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

As she was picking those out I asked Boss-Man if there was a way I could limit the amount of bags she's asking for.

Nope. I have to Make The Customer Happy Because The Customer Is Always Right. (*Cue CS.com Forum Groans*)
                When I worked women's clothing retail, we had bag strictures. Granted I'm not sure I would use our good bag as a gift bag because it is 1) huge and b) had teh shop name on it (but if you like pink and roses, they are quite attractive).

We were told the good Bag comes out only if the customer has a *lot* of clothing, and honestly, I suspect the more miserly of our managers really preferred the customer asked for one, and one would be about it (barring, of course, some of our preferred customers)

Comment

Maybe the markup is high enough that the bags don't matter?

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                    Maybe the markup is high enough that the bags don't matter?
                    I have seriously never seen such a HUGE markup on anything like this one on the stuff at the Fine Chinese Goods Store. Yeesh.

And the Owner-Man? Yeah, he's going on Vacation. AGAIN. To Taiwan.

I dislike his guts.

But then again I don't have to deal with him anymore because:

Today Was My Last Day! YAY!

Comment

Congrats! Now you can regale us with horrors of another store!
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

oh so its like the asian import store

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                          oh so its like the asian import store
                          Yup. Dunno why I didn't say that in the first place (probably because I'm a dummy ).

Comment

Working...
                          X