This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I'm not open, I'm not even a cashier

Since moving back down the chain to "GSC" (guest service clerk - basically a bagger with a few more duties), I run into this pretty often when closing.

We close our express registers down between 8:30 to 9:00 pm. When we close a register, we put a very visible sign on the counter that says "Next lane please".

The GSCs are the ones who get to clean the express registers, normally cashiers clean the regular lanes.

At least 5 or 6 times a night when I'm cleaning express, I'll have someone plop their items down on the counter. Not only is the lane light off, there's a sign less than 3 inches from their items that says "Next lane please". Then I get to explain that express is closed, X registers are open, and if they only have a few items someone at guest service can check them out so they don't have to wait in line.

"Why are you behind the counter then?" I'M CLEANING
    "Why aren't you open?" I'M A BAGGER, I'M CLEANING
    "Why do I have to walk over there?" I'M NOT A CASHIER, I'M A BAGGER
    "You're too old to be a bagger!" .... ohkay? We have a bagger in his 60s, and another in his 40s... I'm only in my 20s.

Grumble..

Call me crazy, but what ever happened to "Are you open?" I will have those embarrassing blind moments when I miss the screamingly obvious.

Comment

The age thing is really stupid. I am 51 and am working a min. wage job to pay for things like telephone, cruises, visa, property taxes. Everything I own is fully paid for and I need money just to cover day to day expenses.

Other reasons older people work.

Pension covers daily expenses, job pays for extras.
      Pension does not cover daily expenses.
      Job prevents boredom.
      No young person with the required skills is available.
      Regulations prevent replacing old person (this is usually a good thing).
      Old person knows where all the bodies are buried.
      etc.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        Old person knows where all the bodies are buried.
        Old person also knows where to bury more bodies.

"Are you open?"

"No. I'm Fred."
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
        X