This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for wiccans

Just wondering, is it typical for a Wiccan to go by a "witch name" instead of their given, legal name?

Client and I were talking, and someone applied to their company, using a different name than was on their ID. Upon asking, they stated they were a wiccan, and thereby conducted business and went "only by their witch name". Client is now seriously leery.

So....yeah. Is this standard?
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

I found this on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craft_name
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Uh, that sounds suspicious to me. I am a Wiccan and my craft name is only known to very few people. It's supposed to be guarded and kept close, not flaunted about for all to see as a way to force people to inquire and so they can flaunt being a Wiccan.

Well, I mean...

I suppose different covens could have different rules, but I am very annoyed with this. Most covens use it as a way to connect to their religion and use it only when doing something that relates directly to Wicca or to their coven. I would never use it in a strictly secular sense.

Edit to add:

It's never called a "Witch name" either, it's a "craft name."
      Last edited by AmbrosiaWriter; 11-14-2012, 09:15 PM.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Thank you Ambrosia, that was seriously enlightening.

Comment

Seraph, your client's applicant is what I once heard someone call a "whoopie witch". Someone who is NOT a serious student of the craft, but a poser who just wants the notoriety and illusion-of-power she gets by calling herself a "witch." My experience (limited though it is) matches Ambrosia's.

Comment

Sounds like the client's applicant is a practicioner of (what I've heard described as )"Bicca" instead of Wicca. You can probably guess what that signifies.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yeah...that's shady. About a handful of people know my craft name and that it *is* my craft name.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                Seraph, your client's applicant is what I once heard someone call a "whoopie witch". Someone who is NOT a serious student of the craft, but a poser who just wants the notoriety and illusion-of-power she gets by calling herself a "witch." My experience (limited though it is) matches Ambrosia's.
                That kind of fits the majority of all religions, really.
                As long as you know her legal name, what's the problem?
                It's perfectly legal to go by Lipschits Fizzlebottom if you want, as long as you aren't using an alias to escape the law or legal contracts.

No two Christians are alike in their beliefs, so we shouldn't assume two Wiccans should be. Even though it's a very new religion.

Comment

Quoth Flyndaran View Post

No two Christians are alike in their beliefs, so we shouldn't assume two Wiccans should be. Even though it's a very new religion.
                  Wait, are you saying that Wicca or Christianity is a very new religion? Because neither is a correct statement.
                  It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

That kind of fits the majority of all religions, really.
                    As long as you know her legal name, what's the problem?
                    It's perfectly legal to go by Lipschits Fizzlebottom if you want, as long as you aren't using an alias to escape the law or legal contracts.

The industry I'm in, it's alll about your identity/reputation. Going by multiple names would be seen as a major red flag. It could result in some very, very big issues for my client.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                      Wait, are you saying that Wicca or Christianity is a very new religion? Because neither is a correct statement.
                      The 1950s is pretty recent. Christianity has changed and schismed significantly since its consolidation around in the 300s A.D.
                      Why do you think Wicca has been around longer than that?
                      Spiritualism was popular in the 1800s but that wasn't Wicca.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                        The industry I'm in, it's alll about your identity/reputation. Going by multiple names would be seen as a major red flag. It could result in some very, very big issues for my client.
                        Everyone wants to feel the martyr for their beliefs. And the most obnoxious of believers are the recently converted.
                        But if she really wanted to use her chosen name for public purposes, then she should just get it legally changed.
                        But that might not give her the persecution complex the fodder she wants.

Comment

The 1950s is pretty recent. Christianity has changed and schismed significantly since its consolidation around in the 300s A.D.
                          Why do you think Wicca has been around longer than that?
                          Spiritualism was popular in the 1800s but that wasn't Wicca.
                          Wicca has beliefs, rituals, and teachings from far before the 1950s. It's older than Christianity. It was one of the religions that Christianity was so hot to trot to squash out.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                            Assuming the Wiccan employee chooses to stick by her non-pagan craft name like several Asian businessmen/women choose a "western" first name as their business name, it shouldn't be that big a problem (unless the craft name is very, VERY unusual).
                            I've experienced many times corresponding with guys/gals from Asian companies who signed themselves with a Western first name, although the mail addy suggests another first name (like, for instance, "Lucy" instead of "Liu Xi"). Well, at least in my branch, this is commonly accepted.
                            Last edited by NorthernZel; 11-15-2012, 12:43 AM.
                            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

To be precise, from my understanding of wicca, it is an attempt to collect and revive the magical traditions of the Celtic world before Christianity.

A wiccan shouldn't be using their craft name for non-magical purposes. Writers who write wiccan books in their witchcraft name is an acceptable thing because that is still a witchcraft purpose (though I don't do that). This name is connected to the spiritual world. Names have power. Remember, wiccans are not supposed to go around drawing converts or talking about the craft to just anyone.
                              Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 11-15-2012, 02:24 AM. Reason: Removed Fratching comment
                              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                              X