Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help? How do I get these people to stop calling me?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help? How do I get these people to stop calling me?

I get a call about once or twice a week from different numbers that, if I answer, I get a message saying "This is WCA calling" and then they go off about different things like lawsuits if you used Yaz or Yasmin, or sweepstakes I won and crap like that. If I don't answer, they don't leave a message.

If I call back, I get a tinned message saying they are sorry they missed me, blah blah blah and you can unsubscribe by hitting one. Then you listen to a long message about how awesome WCA is, but if you really want to leave, press two.

I've unsubscribed three times on the phone, and once online. How, for the love of bacon, do I make them stop? I have never once spoke to a real person, either.

Help? I will give you double chocolate bacon brownies if you can make them go away!
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

They going to a cell or home phone?

Comment

Cell. Which is already on the national dnc list.
      What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Do you have a smart phone? There is an app called call control that I use which you can set it up
        to automatically send calls not in your address book to voicemail. I use it and it works.

Comment

Here's my list

1) Stop calling them back, stop hitting the "take me off the list" options. All you're doing is reaffirming that your number works so... they will keep calling it.

2) File a complaint with the FTC

3) File a complaint with the FCC

On both make sure you state that the calls are recorded messages. IIRC both sites have sections for "free text" to go into further detail. However on the FCC site you can include all the previous calls from them and list each phone number.

Comment

If i dont recognize the caller, I have taken to answering (my city) sheriff department, non emergency number how can i help you>?

usually ends in a CLICK

took about a week, we were removed from the call lists.

Comment

heh. that reminds me... i also was able to stop some callers by turning on my tracfone's "reject call" feature. I can pick specific groups, everyone, or "no caller ID" calls. I picked the latter, cos i was getting some of those and it was starting to annoy me.

Comment

I've been getting a lot of these calls lately. I could have won a cruise, and I qualify for a reduction on my electric bill! Because they're going to convey the latter information through a robocall, right? I'm extra annoyed, for some reason, that they come from my own area code.

I've also been getting a lot of email spam from yahoo addresses, for some reason.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth cleorose View Post
                  If i dont recognize the caller, I have taken to answering (my city) sheriff department, non emergency number how can i help you>?

usually ends in a CLICK

took about a week, we were removed from the call lists.
                  Ooh, I may have to try this! Brilliant!
                  "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I got one of those scam "Windows has been reporting malware" calls, with a live human. I asked them one question (repeatedly) which they kept trying to dodge - "What version of Windows am I running?" Any "call home" Windows error message would report the version (including which service packs were in use) for assistance in debugging. Needless to say, they didn't know.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

When the election was going on, the last two nights before election day...both parties were bugging me. Not so bad during the day, since I wasn't there. But, after multiple calls both nights, I was a bit pissed. After yet another one of those calls, I told the live person, that if I got any more, I'd carry the phone into my garage, and give her an earful of Abingdon-on-Thames' finest
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I didn't get any election calls. My parents got some on the answering machine when I was housesitting a few weeks ago but I deleted those.
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                        X