Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once at work I had two customers with English/British accents order "kangaroo burgers." Um, yeah, right. I'll get right on that.

It's freaking Maccas! WTF? The menu is BASICALLY EXACTLY THE SAME wherever you're from, I'm sure. Finally one ordered burgers from our menu, and as I was getting their meals (quarter pounders, I think), she explained to her friend that I was serving them "kangaroo burgers." Wow, you're so funny. Hilarious. If you want something like that, go to a real restaurant. If you want to joke about Australia, go somewhere else, I love my country and I don't have much of a sense of humour about either Australia or my workplace.

(Note: I had a great time in England, encountered only nice, polite people, but all the tourists from there are so hoity-toity! They start off with a rude remark about the city, and take forever to decide what they want when they get to the front of the line. I guess all the nice people are left at home!)

When I lived overseas, I got all kinds of questions about our native animals, and I was told that my accent was awesome. It's true, it IS awesome (conceited much?), so I didn't mind that. But if one more person asks me about my pet kangaroo, I'll scream. I've followed through on that threat before, so I'd take it seriously if I were you.
    Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
    Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
    <3 Arrested Development

Comment

• Alternatively, people seem surprise when they visit here and it rains. Hello! It's called the Wet Coast for a darn good reason.

And, yes, I know that it sucks that the taxes are not included in the prices. But complaining to a store clerk about it is not going to change a nationwide practice.

Man, I'm glad I don't work there anymore.....
      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

• *sigh*

What is it about southern California being a coastal desert that people don't get?

In mid summer, the only plants that do well are either going to be due to landscaping or because they are some form of cactus. (fun fact: tumbleweeds are not a native plant to the US... and palm trees are not native to Hawaii, or pineapples, or sugar cane)

Did you know that California has some of every type of above-sea-level geographical feature there is? I love my state.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Quoth repsac View Post
          While pumping gas at this shell station off 204 and 95, this couple gets out of their car. The man takes one look around him and then says to his wife (sounding very much like senator kenedy's accent) "Wow it's hot!" Turning to me he then procedes to speak slower, and asks. "Does it always get this hot down here?"

I blinked at him a few times and then answered. "Sir. It's just eighty. Trust me, this is a cool day."
          That doesn't even make any sense. If he has that accent he must have lived though his fair share of New England summers, so he would KNOW that the 80s are hardly considered hot weather here. Every summer it goes well beyond the 80s. Heck, it's in the 80s now and it's only May.

Did that moron actually expect it to get cooler as he went south? [shakes head and mutters]
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

• Dips, I've often thought the coastal breeze is what fools them.

Depending on the area of the city you're in, you can get this killer breeze coming off the ocean. It will make 100 feel like 80 or less at times. Step back into the city then, (off river street for example) and the buildings stop the breeze, kicking the heat up.
            Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

• Quoth infavorofnaturalselection View Post
              Do Aussies consider, "Do koala bears smell like cough drops?" to be a stupid question?
              I dunno about stupid but it's certainly amusing
              For what it's worth, what I remember of when I held a koala (not a bear! ) it was - and excuse my bad explanation but this is the best I can do - a pleasant fur-type smell. I expect the wilder ones would be a bit smellier/dirtier, the one I held lived in a Sanctuary and was very well cared for
              Re: Quiche.
              Pie is manly.
              Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
              Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
              So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

• Quoth Acolyte View Post
                Heh, I've heard that a few times up here, generally from a large immigration city (Toronto, Windsor, Montreal, ect) to another large city waaayyyy the hell across the country (Generally Vancouver).
                Windsor. Effing WINDSOR gets a mention, but not Ottawa. For pete's sake, people.....

We get tourists here (in OTTAWA) who ask if we're the capital of TORONTO (I only wish I was joking). I've had one ask me why the Queen didn't direct the changing of the guards (gee, maybe because she's in ENGLAND?).

I've had tourists, no joke, come up to me in the MIDDLE of summer and, with a very dejected air, say "we wanted to go sledding/skating - where's the snow at?" Honey, lemme tell you, it gets HOT here in the summertime. Not Arizona-hot, but just as hot as it gets in any state north of the Mason-Dixon (and a few to the south as well).

I've had tourists ask me why, if we drain the canal in winter (man-made canal), don't we drain the river as well.... ugh. I've had people, upon leaving a boat tour where they went through the locks, ask me why we couldn't build the river on the same level as the city. I've even had people ask me how come we drive on the right side of the road. I've even had a couple ask me where the rides were (These two actually thought that the COUNTRY was a theme park - they'd heard of Canada's Wonderland and got confused). Don't get me wrong, I love me some tourists, but some people leave their brains at home when they go traveling.

Edited to add, I *LOVE* that Wisconsin accent (have friends there) but not everybody talks that way... again, it's more of a rural/regional thing. My Wisconsinite friends DON'T talk that way LOL Although I think they're disappointed that I only say "eh" when joking around (but they do laugh at my "accent").
                Last edited by tollbaby; 05-11-2007, 08:31 PM.
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

• Keep in mind I am in southwestern Pennsylvania:

*How far is it to Hilton Head? (I believe that's in South Carolina, four states away. Shouldn't people know how far away their desitination is before they start driving?)

*Why do you guys charge so much for tolls? (I'm sorry, but I don't set the toll prices across the state nor do I work at the tollbooth. This is the front desk at a hotel if you haven't noticed.)

*Do you have a map of Cleveland? (Enough said.)

*You talk funny. I can't understand a word you are saying. (Comes mostly from Canadians. But I'm pretty sure I'm speaking English here, just in a western PA dialect. We don't sound that weird! Besides, the ones visiting are the ones with the accent, not us! Agree, EH??

Comment

• While not a stupid question, it was a stupid answer on the part of a friend of mine.

Couple years ago he was out photographing some stretches of the abandoned Penn Turnpike. (Abandoned portions, to clarify) Along with some of the tunnels.

While he was doing this, a Trooper stopped and asked him what he was doing, to which he explained. The Trooper then supposedly said:

Trooper: Oh that's pretty interesting I guess. Why are you taking photos though? I mean it's just a highway.

Friend: For the trains.

NOTE: Much of the old Penn Turnpike was originally built and graded for a railroad that was never completed. Some of the old tunnels actually are railroad tunnels.
                    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

• Quoth tollbaby View Post
                      I've had one ask me why the Queen didn't direct the changing of the guards (gee, maybe because she's in ENGLAND?).

I've had tourists, no joke, come up to me in the MIDDLE of summer and, with a very dejected air, say "we wanted to go sledding/skating - where's the snow at?" Honey, lemme tell you, it gets HOT here in the summertime. Not Arizona-hot, but just as hot as it gets in any state north of the Mason-Dixon (and a few to the south as well). ).
                      The Queen of England doesn't direct the changing of the guards in England. That was set a long time ago and is well directed by the guards.

If someone wanted to go sledding/skating shouldn't they find out the facilities,resorts and read when said locations say when to come?

Mind you some places do have permanet sking/sledding seasons but global warming is elimanting those.

Comment

• Quoth tollbaby View Post
                        Windsor. Effing WINDSOR gets a mention, but not Ottawa. For pete's sake, people.....
                        Well, in all fairness, nobody immigrates to Ottawa. It's all official and French-ish and scary and stuff.
                        Besides, I was too lazy to name off every largish city in Canada. (Kinda sad, innit, when our definition of 'large city' is 200000+?)

Anyways. We had some tourists come through the McDonalds drive through yesterday asking if we served blubber and eskimo food. I asked if he wanted the blubber burger extra value meal. ALMOST had him going...
                        Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

• Quoth hotelnpa View Post
                          *You talk funny. I can't understand a word you are saying. (Comes mostly from Canadians. But I'm pretty sure I'm speaking English here, just in a western PA dialect. We don't sound that weird! Besides, the ones visiting are the ones with the accent, not us! Agree, EH??
                          I get that sometimes too. I am from Northwestern PA. Real close to the New York border.

I have some to share:

How far to the New York border? (there are signs saying that the border to New York is 23 miles away)

I have many people think that all but the cities in Pennsylvania were 1 stoplight, and the towns are very, very small. No joke when people come here and they are surprised about the size of the towns here.
                          "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Working...
                          X