This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1.98 Shoplifting Fail.

Yes, two people tried shoplifting two gallon jugs of Aid of Rite brand water that were 99 cents each. I suppose this is karma from the shoplifter that I threw a bitchfit at and got written up for.

Since it's Memorial Day, we see people with bags upon bags of ice, beer, chips, dips, snacks, soda, etc. This couple was no different-stacks of ice and snacks, and a gallon jug of water. They tell me they only have the one water and 10 bags of ice, seeming a little bit nervous. They hand over the water and the snacks and I manually key in the code for each bag of ice (we've had this company for over 2 years and the stupid things STILL don't scan in). I bag it up, send them on their merry way...

The minute they turn the cart around, I see that they conveniently concealed two extra gallons of water behind the bags of ice.

I call them over and make them pay.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Sad how people steal the dumbest, littlest things; like our entry forms and pen from our 'enter here to win' display!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Let me get this straight -

These folks tried to steal WATER ?

Really ?

Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Yes. Out of all the stupidest things I've seen people steal (including one sanitary pad out of a box of 100 and 3/4 of a pack of beef jerky), they stole something that comes out of a faucet for pennies.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

When I was at CNM, they had to put the blue books behind the counter because they were getting stolen. They cost 50 cents. Go figure.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Some people will steal *anything* that's not bolted down.

Case in point, several years ago, my then-gf and I had just returned to her place after picking up some groceries. At the time, she didn't have a car, and since I'm a nice guy...well, you figure it out For whatever reason, the car wasn't locked after we'd carried the last bags up to her apartment. Didn't notice anything odd until it was time to head home.

As I'm pulling into my driveway, I notice that the parking pass (a cheap-looking plastic card...which looked *similar* to the one my then-gf used to get into her building) wasn't in its usual spot in the cup holder. Seems that some idiot actually got *into* my car, and stole it. Let me say that again--some idiot got into my car, left the pile of CDs on the back seat, my train stuff in the trunk, some tools, etc.... and instead, stole a $5 piece of plastic.

A piece of plastic that had "property of XYZ corp" stamped on it, found in a car that did *not* have an apartment-building sticker on it...and obviously wouldn't work at the building you're trying to break into.

Damn, criminals is stupid people
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              Some people will steal *anything* that's not bolted down.
              Seriously! I used to work at a store that sold name-brand department store stuff at discount prices, and we had a huge problem with theft. This probably had more to do with our lack of security, but geez, this stuff was cheap! I wonder sometimes if people think that stealing is less of a sin if they steal cheaper items.

The dumbest thing anyone ever stole while I was there was a plastic ring I used to mark where I left off, while doing markdowns. I walked away for a minute or two to get something, and when I came back it was gone!

A friend of mine still works there, and told me that someone stole the toilet seat out of the men's stall! And that was bolted down!
              Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Let me say that again--some idiot got into my car, left the pile of CDs on the back seat, my train stuff in the trunk, some tools, etc.... and instead, stole a $5 piece of plastic.
                I can beat that, I had someone break into my car and steal two things, a broken satelite radio reciever (and by broken I mean noticably broken) and a $25 DVD player.
                What they left behind
                Several boxed sets of DVDs worth a few hundred
                A checkbook
                Two credit cards
                and a $2000 laptop.

Yeah... not the brightest of bulbs

Oh, and to the OP, if it makes you feel better, one of my former roommates stole a 5cent flavored toothpick
                seriously, you couldn't pay 5 cents.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Several years ago, I had somebody break into my then-GF's (now wife's) Jeep Wrangler.

With a soft top.

And they failed.

They tried to pry the window away from the top, damaging both the window and top, causing a $1200 insurance payout, IIRC.

Why is this funny? On a Jeep Wrangler, the windows are made from floppy plastic (meaning even the most rudimentary of caveman tools could easily pierce it), and if you lack even those objects of crime, the rear windows unzip from the outside.

To this day, I'm trying to figure out how even the most drug-addled Juvenile delinquent could be so lacking in IQ that they could not figure out how to break into a car that might as well have had a "criminals here!" sign on the outside. I suspect that if they advanced into home invasion, they'd be stymied by the presence of a screen door.

We stopped locking the doors on the Jeep after that.

SirWired

Comment

The stealing water I can almost understand. (Inasmuch as I can understand stealing). However, stealing it when they had that much else? The only thing I can come up with is that they don't think they should be charged, because it's just water, but at that point so is the stuff from the tap...

Stealing one sanitary napkin, on the other hand, I can understand - for some reason it's not convenient to buy them, and the vending machine ones are icky. If you need one right then...

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                      they stole something that comes out of a faucet for pennies.

But if they steal it, it's free! Hey, in this economy, every penny counts!
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We had someone break into the office at one of my jobs and they stole the following:
                        • all our candy
                        • the huge, ancient, I'm-not-sure-it-even-worked TV
                        • the VCR that went with it
                        • all the spare change from our desks (but they left the pennies)

They left the 8 brand new computers with flat screen monitors and all the personnel files that were in the same cabinet as the extra candy. (Those files would make identity theft really easy.)

It left all of us a bit bemused.

Comment

Working...
                        X