The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    why can't we exercise the right to refuse service if someone chooses to violate the public health order thus putting all of us at risk?
    Because tHe EcOnOmY.

And that's all I'll say about it, lol.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

• Quoth Seanette View Post
      I currently work at a call center. Masks are not required at one's desk (we're spread out enough for distancing), but must be worn anywhere else in the building unless you're at your desk or in the breakroom eating (have to wear it to travel between those two points).
      OH hell no. You can bet they all have covid now. I certainly wouldn't do the hot desk thing, or god forbid sharing headsets?? EEEUUUWWW. No no no i have to have my own stuff that NO one else touches.

Blech.

Double blech.

God I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that bs.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        .. so why can't we exercise the right to refuse service if someone chooses to violate the public health order thus putting all of us at risk? ...
        Because those people are not putting the people at corporate HQ at risk. Corporate considers all the workers in the store expendable.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          No no no i have to have my own stuff that NO one else touches.
          Precisely. I carry a supply of cheapo pens (stolen from my old job!) just so that if I give one to someone I don't get it back. Nobody but nobody touches my glove stash or sanitizer...the one time I did leave my bottle on the register counter for two seconds one of the drama queens picked it up saying "I dunno whose this is but I'm usin it"...oh no you're not. I know none of us like the store sanitizer so get yer own goddammit.
          Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
          Because tHe EcOnOmY.
          Ah, yes, the almighty Bottom Line
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-03-2020, 11:09 PM.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• From the ads on TV here, at least some call center employees are working from home. The final moments of one ad involve a child, walking in on his dad expounding on what a great employment opportunity the Y Company is, and child asking if Dad is going to wear pants at work today
            Last edited by EricKei; 11-04-2020, 11:47 AM. Reason: dup

Comment

• Quoth workerbee222 View Post
              From the ads on TV here, at least some call center employees are working from home. The final moments of one ad involve a child, walking in on his dad expounding on what a great employment opportunity the Y Company is, and child asking if Dad is going to wear pants at work today
              My office is a call center and we're all working from home except for people who have internet problems. Thankfully I rarely take calls. We're in the customer service dept. but our team is its own little thing.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• So my store has decided on a bold new strategy to help keep workers and customers safe during this pandemic.

What is this awesomely brilliant new strategy, you ask?

It involves ... having incoming employees tell a supervisor or shift manager that they feel fine and are able to work.

That's it.

That.

Is.

ALL.

No temperature taking, nothing of that sort.

Am I the only one who thinks this is less than effective? I mean, speaking for myself, if I were NOT feeling well, I wouldn't be there in the first place. If I am there, I feel fine.

And if I were an employee who couldn't afford to lose wages, there's always the possibility that I wouldn't admit to being sick (although hopefully none of our employees will use this gambit if there's an actual chance they have COVID ....)

I wonder what brilliant suit thought this up.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I smell some classic blame shifting here. If someone gets sick in a way that can be traced back to the store, they'll just say that "The employees all said they were healthy and feeling fine! This is on them for lying to us and to you!"
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• "I feel fine" is also how the damn thing spreads. A body can be infectious LONG before the first symptoms get noticed.

Typical, minimal, CYA and blame others tactic. Don't actually DO anything about a problem, but make some not-even-halfassed attempt that almost looks good on paper.

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      I just tried to like Pix's post lol. This isn't twitter.
                      Quoth Seanette View Post
                      Or Facebook.

I've tried to hit Like on posts here myself.
                      I've done the same

FWIW: That is very true; we're not FB nor Twitter. We'd like to keep it that way. That is basically WHY we don't have that feature enabled
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I smell some classic blame shifting here. If someone gets sick in a way that can be traced back to the store, they'll just say that "The employees all said they were healthy and feeling fine! This is on them for lying to us and to you!"
                        This is what ExJob is doing, and AFAIK the store does that as well; but we're union, so the union probably (hopefully) has something in place. I've seen a rep stop in fairly frequently to check on things. All employees are wearing masks correctly, so it would seem if anything happens it can be traced to one of the idiots roving the aisles.

I think I'm the only person who actually thinks to wipe down the SCOs (and any resgister I happen to be on). If I have to I will close my lane down to be able to clean it.

(I also realized that per state order, every business must display an official BOH sign at the entrance stating what measures they are taking to ensure customer safety...ExJob is not doing that)
                        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-06-2020, 01:23 PM.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                          FWIW: That is very true; we're not FB nor Twitter. We'd like to keep it that way. That is basically WHY we don't have that feature enabled
                          And some of us appreciate it.

The only time I've clicked a "like" button was for a Kickstarter project that added a stretch goal for the number of "like" clicks.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I retired before the world-as-we-knew-it ended, but I still visit the people there at the food stamp office on an almost weekly basis.

When I am there on a personal matter (like bringing extra produce in or cheese in), they smuggle me in the back door. If I ask a question for a friend, I get kicked out the back door and sent to the front door, where I have to stand behind a line OUTSIDE the door to ask question and get or hand in paperwork. I also have to be masked and if I am giving them paperwork, they have to glove up. This is so the cameras can see all clients to back up their counts.

Its a good thing the cameras don't record sound very well or they would all be in trouble cause we spend more time making fun of the rules than we do the info/paperwork exchange.

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              I might be working from home forever. Fine with me!
                              It is 99% certain that me and everyone on my team will be permanently working from home... the nature of our work is remote no matter where we are (seriously, everything I do is through a secured web portal, what is the difference between doing that in an office and doing it in my spare bedroom) and we've been pushing to allow work from home for months before COVID hit anyway. Now that we have proven that we really can work just as well from home (and the agency is looking for ways to increase staff without having to spend more on office space) it is all but a formality that we are declared a permanent work from home team.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              I don't quite understand wearing a mask on Zoom as I've seen some people doing.
                              There are a few people I have regular Zoom calls with that keep their masks on. Where they work requires that once a mask is removed, that it be discarded and a new one be worn... so even though they are allowed to remove their mask at their desks, they most often choose not to so they don't have to go through multiple masks per day.
                              Last edited by EricKei; 11-08-2020, 10:37 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

• I found out through second hand gossip today that the manager of one of the stores we service has or had covid. And I cannot find out any other information like when. I have only been to that store once lately but I have been to two of their other stores several times. So if it spread to them through our person who services those stores or one of their upper management/owners I could have been exposed. They are not careful at all either. And no warning at all from the supervisor of our dept that works those stores.

I sent an email off to our VP about this. This is the second time a store has had someone get covid and we were not warned then either. Last time my wife was pregnant and now we have a newborn. And they show no concern at all for our health.

Comment

Working...
                                X