X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate Stabs in the Darkness

Hey, everyone.

Haven't posted anything Job-Related in a long time, and the short version of the reason for that was that I've been unemployed for a good, long period, now...

However, I havent been Idle, and as of December, have Graduated from a Medical Coding and Billing Program, for something to put on my Resume that wasn't Fast Food or a Technical Support job that I hated...

Problem now is the Job Market really Sucks... Even working WITH the Schools profession placement folks, who have been Very helpful.

I HAVE to get a job, and quickly, or risk becoming homeless til I do.
    I Could really use some positive ideas on job searching for my field, because my efforts so far have proved fruitless...

I've tried going personally places, I've used the best sites, like Indeed.com, and all I'm coming up with are places that want the people who have at least 2 years experience or more... applying for those doesn't even get me a Response. It's FRUSTRATING, as I'm sure so many people know.

I just wanted to know if anybody has been in the US Job Market for any period of time, lately, and if there's something I'm MISSING, in all this.

And, Hey, if anyone in or around the San Antonio area happens to know of any Medical Coding/Billing/Office Reception opportunities, a Private Message would be AWESOME.

Thanks for reading my Whining.

I cannot offer you any help with the job hunt, I'm afraid. But I can certainly offer you sympathy if you need someone to talk to.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Tell everyone you know that you're looking for work, and in which field. And I do mean everyone.
      Not just friends and family, but the paperboy, the guy you chat to in the corner shop, the bank teller you know, the bus driver, your pharmacist, the barista at your coffee shop....

In a bad economy, with high unemployment, it's easy for employers to just tell their staff they need someone to do X, and to ask around. So you need as many people as possible to know you do X: so that when the barista's sister who's a nurse tells her that her boss is looking, the barista can say 'hey, I know someone...'

Ask the school's profession placement folks to help you make up a pack of 50 inexpensive business cards printed on their printer (doesn't need to be professionally printed). You want your name, your certification from the school, and reliable contact information.
      Someone there will probably be able to help you make them look professional: it's basically a micro-resume.

Print off 50 of them. Make it a goal to distribute all 50.

If you achieve that, print off another 50, and work on that. (That will be harder, because you'll have given the first set out to everyone obvious.)

Good luck.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Nijiero,

I wish I could offer more, but hey, fellow San Antonio denizen, if nothing else, would love to meet some SA CSers in person?

Now that that's out of the way...have you checked job sites and social networks for work, like Monster.com, CAreerBuilder, LinkedIn?

Other than that, Seshat, as always, has brilliant advice, and I can't think of anything to add.

Comment

I assume I don't need to mention that you should have someone from the Profession Placement folks proofread your business cards?

I'm also going to assume that you've tried/are trying all of their suggestions.

Another option is to research every medical place that might possibly need someone with your skill set. Learn about the place, learn who makes hiring decisions, then mail them your resume with a cover letter addressed to the correct person, and containing the reason why you are a good fit to them, and them to you.

Find the ten best. Send letters to them the first week. The second week, another ten - or twenty, if you're starting to get tight & need the work urgently.

Again, the profession placement folks may well be able to help. And many, MANY of the people here are or have been hiring managers. They'd be better than me at telling you what to put in the cover letters; and what to put in or leave out of your resume.

The managers are likely to pay attention to the sub-topic in the Morons in Management topic. (I think it's called 'the view from the other side')
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Check the local phone book for local medical providers, offices, hospitals, and any other place that hires people in your field. Check the websites of those that have one for job opportunities. Call the others. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

Working...
            X