This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few days of SC tales...

I'll probably come up with more as I remember them, this week was just...weird. I was selfscan for the week.

Tomato Tomfoolery
    I'm running some abandoned produce back, when a woman grabs me (seriously, what IS it with people wanting to grab my arm lately?!)
    SC: (sweetly) "Oh, you're shopping for yourself, I'm sorry."
    Before I can say anything, she starts in with "Now which of these cherry tomatoes are the sweetest?"
    I don't know a hell of a lot about tomatoes (or why she was asking that question), but I know that the yellow cherry tomatoes are pretty sweet-tasting.
    Unfortunately, they're not on sale, so of course not what she wanted.
    SC: (patronizing) "No, honey, I want to know which ones are the sweetest. These, the ones on sale."
    Me: "If you want the sweetest ones, those would be the [brand] yellow cherry tomatoes. I don't know about the ones that are on sale, but the [other brand with 'sweet' in the name that is on sale] is pretty good. It would help if you could tell me what you're using them for; salad, finger foods, et cetera."
    SC: "You don't know anything. The people here are nice, but not helpful. [Other store] lets me try the tomatoes." I can guarantee that they don't, unless she means a tomato salad in the deli. That's the only area that lets customers try stuff.

Don't you know slavery was abolished?
    Shortly after the above incident, FEM passes by me with a man on her heels complaining about something.
    FEM: "Our produce manager is gone for the day."
    SC: "Well, you shouldn't let him do that!"

PIN Stupidity
    Now I agree that a lot of our pinpads on the cashier lanes have problems; they're at the perfect height to be run into with carts, SCs insist on using pens instead of their fingers (in a way I don't blame them, I don't think those things have ever been cleaned), etc.

A woman comes through and pays by debit. Something goes wrong, and being in a purple shirt that day (but I'm not a manager) I get to be in the middle of it. The card has been declined once for an invalid PIN. So I have her type it in again while watching to see how many numbers are pressed. The PIN is either 4 or 5 digits. She's punching in 6. BEEP. Strike two, one more try will lock the card.

Me: "Ma'am, a PIN is four or five digits. This is six. Are you absolutely sure this is your PIN?"
    SC: "I just used this card at [four different stores]! I know my number is right! You must be adding in numbers!"
    Some banks will block a card if they detect too many debit transactions within a certain time frame; I suspect this is what happened as she's admitted to using it five times in under an hour.
    Meanwhile, she's managed to completely lock out the card. We can do nothing at this point; she needs to contact her bank.
    SC: "What do you mean?! I know this card works! [it DID, you got that much right] I can't go to the bank, it's too late! You did something to the card!"
    FEM: "Ma'am, you need to contact your bank. I don't know why, but they locked your card. This cannot be resolved until you call them."
    SC: "I want you to fix it!"
    FEM: "For security reasons we cannot enter card information. You do that."
    Her bank has a 24-hour line for stuff like this. So FEM saves the order and tells her that she needs to call her bank, I go back to what I was supposed to be doing.

A few minutes later, SC is grabbing my shirt. She wants to use her card in the ATM

Later, she gets ASM involved. I don't hear that much of the conversation save for this gem: "If I have to walk five blocks to the bank to fix this and I get hit by a car it's coming out of YOUR paycheck!"

-------------------------------------------

I've posted about Crazy Can Lady (CCL) before, I'm sure. She does nothing but use (break) our bottle machines, harass the staff, and make actual customers very uncomfortable. More than one of the frontend managers is itching to ban her, and I may have found a way On Saturday night, I caught her sampling (which is a violation of state law/health codes) and pawing the grapes Of course I ID'ed her to every produce person and manager I could find; she didn't come back into that department, but at least more people know who she is. I'm sure a lot of other people do this, but she is probably the worst in terms of assorted fun bacteria on her hands from dumpsters.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Seriously, Debit Lady, read the fine print on your card's contract (even debit cards have some form of it!) Often they either have a transaction limit or an amount limit (mine does this.) IF you're expecting to do more than that limit, contact them and.. you know, get an extension on the amount/number. Plus, most banks have a three strikes and you're locked out policy for entering the PIN. Guess what, cupcake? This feature is to protect your money! And again, only you can fix that by calling them up!

Well, unless the store was Monkey Wards, where if you used your card OR check at the store, you couldn't use it to pay at the repair center that day. You had to call a stupid 1-800 to get them to unlock it on OUR END. Needless to say, there was a phone we had for people to use to call it in (cell phones were still expensive as heck beasties back then) and get it fixed. I hated corporate for that alone, because that was the biggest SC causer whenever I worked. (Also, way to shoot yourself in the foot, corporate.. and one of many reasons why you're no longer in business!)
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

The original error (before going to "Contact Issuer' after the third strike) was Invalid PIN. Cards with six-digit PINs do exist, but most current POS systems are set up to only accept 4 or 5 (which I told her to try). For some reason, she thought that repeating "that's my PIN from the bank" over and over would make it go through...gee, if that actually worked I could make the lottery numbers be anything I chose that day.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
        Seriously, Debit Lady, read the fine print on your card's contract (even debit cards have some form of it!)
        *snip*
        "It's not my responsibility to read any of that rubbish you send me!"

I seem to remember this from a long-ago post ... think it was one of tilly101's ...

Comment

Some PIN's nowadays are indeed six digits, though.. I ran into that alot before I got fired from my job at the gas station.
          If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Working...
          X