This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth justZu View Post

So naturally I thought, "What does Hon'ya-chan need with a Renaissance poisoner?"
    If you have one handy, please PM me. I would have many uses for such a one. mwahahaha
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
      After he leaves, my co-worker and I look at each other, and wonder what the hell was up with the guy. We kinda agree that he's an ice-head.
      When you state "ice-head" I am assuming you are referring to meth? Not to stir up any trouble, but that's an unfair assumption for the guy. He could be one of those people who gets nose bleeds on the regular for no reason. I had a friend who had some type of medical condition that one symptom of the condition was nose bleeds.

I mean, it could've been drugs, but I always try to look for the more positive conclusion...

...plus, I would've pointed it out to the guy while handing him something to wipe it up with.

Kind of sucky on your part. Again, not trying to stir anything up. But if we are to have hope for humanity - we have to contribute with kindness in spite of our judgement sometimes.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I get nosebleeds just about every month. I don't even know why.
        My Fanfic Page
        My Fiction Page
        My Social Group
        My Pet Social Group
        My You Tube Channel

Comment

I've ran into people where they just let their cuts bleed without doing anything about it. I'm like O_O;. Come on...ask someone for a bandage!
          For the most part, I don't care about what everyone else is doing, or what is popular.
          -Namie Amuro (Japanese singer)

Comment

*warning - gore! Also, longish story*

Well I have a slightly sadder 'bleeding at work ' story. I was 19 years old, shy and unassertive and working at a busy fish and chip place in a food court as server/cashier. I was restocking the metal serviette holder one morning and stuck my hand in to shove the napkins down on the spring holder. I suddenly felt something *really* sharp slice into the base (palm side) of my ring finger. It wasn't painful at first and I freaked at the sensation of something grabbing onto me, so I yanked my hand out quickly, noticing an odd tearing sensation.

And suddenly there was blood all over my hand. Sheesh, it was running everywhere! I rush to the sink and turn the water on and try to wash it away - I figured since there wasn't any pain yet, must just be an 'enthusiastic' cut and the bleeding should stop soon.

And ohhhh...THERE'S the pain and it is awful. The blood is still flowing but I can see parts of my finger that I've never seen before! Suddenly, I feel very sick and very woozy. I call out to the other lady who works there, who is more senior in position and 30 years older than me, for help. "I..uh..I've had an accident."
            The first thing she says? "I TOLD you to be careful near that napkin holder!"

Me: "There's a lot of blood...I feel very weird..I feel like I might be sick"

(She told me afterwards I was paper-white in the face. Not that she cared.)

Her: "Well, go upstairs! You'll put off the customers!"

Me:"Ok...."

Clutching my spouting hand and swaying, I made it halfway up the dank little spiral staircase at the back of the shop and suddenly everything seemed a LOT darker back there than I remembered. And why was I seeing these weird sparkles everytime I moved my eyes? Were the stairs swaying or was it me?

I made it up the stairs, reached the bathroom, threw up and sat on the toilet seat with my head on my arm until I started feeling less faint. 10 minutes later my co-worker comes up - she's been ordered by the manager to help me get some first aid. She actually does a decent job of swabbing out my finger - I had a huge ragged round hole of skin completely gone from the first knuckle and I when I peek at it I can see red muscle and fat deposits. Less pain now but I do feel woozy and far away, so I let her bandage me up, slap a rubber glove over the hand and put me back to work. I even clean out the serviette holder, which is soaked with my blood in the interior and I fish out a big, thick piece of my skin from the turned up, wickedly sharp steel edge I find inside. I don't think anyone knew it was there before now.

The hand is throbbing horribly soon, but I was a casual and too nervous to ask to leave early. Plus, I still feel weird and shell shocked, so I just follow the orders and try to keep upright. After my shift, the manager sits me down and says "Thanks for your work so far, but we're heading into our quiet time (December in Australia? I think not!) and so we won't need you to do any work for a while. We'll give you a call in a few months. See ya!"

Says I : "Well, actually, I'm a bit worried about my hand.."

He glances at it casually "Yeah, maybe you should go see a chemist about that."

I have to be at my other part time job in a coffee shop in half an hour, so I trudge over there and explain why I'm wearing a rubber glove over a big swathe of bandages.
            My manager there looks annoyed - "Can you still use the broom to sweep up?"
            Me: "I...I think so."

So I do 5 hours there and close up. The bandages are a bit worse for the wear now, having gotten coffee grounds and dust on them. I peel them back a bit and try to clean it a little. The store manager peers over my shoulder "Eww! Thats gross!".

I get home at 8pm and sit down, feeling pretty awful and out of it. My mum spots the bandage and freaks out. She insists on driving me immediately to an after hours doctor. He cuts off the mess of crusty, coffee stained bandages and makes a shocked hissing noise - "When did this happen?"

Me: "About 10am this morning."

Him: "And you stayed at work?!"

Me: "They didn't say I could go and I thought I should finish my shift..."

The doctor cleans the wound out again, looking horrified and apologising the whole time that they can't give me any local anaesthetic while they do it. Then he says - 'I'm booking you in to see a plastic surgeon tomorrow, first thing. You'll need a skin graft, and you need it done ASAP, because there's not enough skin left in that area for us to stitch the edges together."
            From there on, I'm booked into a hospital as a day patient by lunchtime the next day, given my anaesthetic and I go home that evening. I have yet more bandages, a little sling to rest my hand in and orders not to go back to work for 6 weeks.

The good thing about this story? My POS employer tried to wiggle out of the Workcover (compulsory Australian workplace insurance) claim but was forced to pay me 6 weeks worth of pay, for both themselves AND my second employer (lost income and all that!) and pay all the medical costs involved!

This is exactly how it happened - no exaggerations. I still have a sizeable round scar on my right ring finger and there's not a lot of feeling in it, but atleast I still have a functional finger. If I hadn't had the graft, the skin would have tightened up when it healed and left me with the finger permanantly curled up against my hand, with no mobility.

Anyways, I thought this story might interest you guys to see just how badly some employers will treat you if they think they can get away with it. It was quite a life lesson for me and of course, it makes a cool gory anecote!

The amusing part? When my co-worker hissed at me to get upstairs and not let the customers see the blood gushing everywhere! "Err, that's NOT tomato sauce, sir.."

Comment

Once, I ran into the grocery store right after I had had oral surgery. The cashier was looking at me really weirdly and when I got to the car and looked in the mirror, I found out why. The wound had started bleeding and I had a trail of blood on my mouth and chin.
              "Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings"-Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                When you state "ice-head" I am assuming you are referring to meth? Not to stir up any trouble, but that's an unfair assumption for the guy. He could be one of those people who gets nose bleeds on the regular for no reason. I had a friend who had some type of medical condition that one symptom of the condition was nose bleeds.

I mean, it could've been drugs, but I always try to look for the more positive conclusion...

...plus, I would've pointed it out to the guy while handing him something to wipe it up with.

Kind of sucky on your part. Again, not trying to stir anything up. But if we are to have hope for humanity - we have to contribute with kindness in spite of our judgement sometimes.
                I didn't want to post this part because nobody would believe me. Well, take it as you will:

Caked dried blood....trail running maybe 1/4th of his body.....spaced zoned look.....smelly.....dishevelled....holding a bag of wrapped up tourist magazines in paper towel holders.

The last one pretty much tipped me off that he was an ice-head.

Comment

I didn't want to post this part because nobody would believe me. Well, take it as you will:

Caked dried blood....trail running maybe 1/4th of his body.....spaced zoned look.....smelly.....dishevelled....holding a bag of wrapped up tourist magazines in paper towel holders.

The last one pretty much tipped me off that he was an ice-head.
                  Hmm...now that you added that....
                  "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Delphae View Post
                    When I was student teaching and subing, I occationally would get a cut or a bloody nose. I would have to treat my injury while still teaching. "Ok class, look for the next answer while I get a bandaid."
                    Yup, been there, done that! It's also great fun to try to keep a group of kindergarten students in one place while you put a large bandaid on one of their friends. (eeeewww....he's got blood on him! Look, Ms. J, blood!)
                    Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                      Hmm...now that you added that....
                      Dog the Bounty Hunter taught me that last bit.

Comment

I've had several guys (so far, it's been just males), I think around 4 to 6, that I can remember, with rather alot of blood on them...

One happened about 3 weeks ago, in fact. He'd been beaten up when he went up to the local nightclubs for whatever reason. He'd been bandaged, but it looked like a home job to me.

Had two others that had been in (or on the recieving endof) fights,

One guy looked like he'd fallen out of a moving car, he had scabs and bruises over his arms and face..

What do you say to someone in that situation?
                        3 Basic rules for ordering food.
                        - Order from the menu.
                        - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
                        - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Quoth Sir Spaniard the 12th View Post
                          What do you say to someone in that situation?
                          "Gee, did that hurt?"
                          or "What's the other guy look like?"
                          or "Wrong side of the bed?"
                          or "You've got red on you."
                          or "Ouch. Need a band-aid? Aisle 3"
                          or... you get the idea.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

This just happened today.

My boss has cancer. He's just fine, except that the treatments they give him cause a lot of problems. One of the most recent is that he gets the odd itchy welt on his head (he's mostly bald).

Well, today he got one, and must have scratched it, and it bled. He never noticed.

So he came out from the back area up the his desk with this line of red starting at a spot on his head, trailing down the side of his face to almost completely cover one quarter of his neck on the front right side.

He sat there for at least 15 minutes looking like this after the woman across the room told him it was there.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Dog the Bounty Hunter taught me that last bit.
                              The only reason I spoke up - I am a recovering drug addict - been clean for around two years 5 months...ice was my drug. I wouldn't want to be wrongly accused of using it ever again - but now that you mentioned the rest of the stuff, I would agree with you.

Comment

I had a truly stupid accident several years ago. I was getting ready to cook something on an electric indoor grill, an appliance that had a heavy ceramic base. I was rinsing out the base because it had been in the cabinet a while and was dusty, and it slipped from my fingers and hit the edge of the stove. It was like a bomb went off, with ceramic shrapnel everywhere.

My kitchen is fairly small, and I was cursing my butterfingers and the fact that there were now ceramic shards all over the food I'd been trying to prepare (for a picnic/class reunion the next morning), and my husband came running to see what the commotion was. As I was waving my hands around in general agitation, he stopped me cold by saying, "Dear...I see f***ing bone."

My right wrist was laid open from right under the heel of my hand all the way around to the other side of my wrist. There's a reason they make knives out of ceramic; I later said that I'd had cat scratches that hurt worse. I had not felt it at all. I must have been in shock, because I remember feeling oddly calm as I told my husband to turn off the stove, get me some shoes and a towel so we could run to the ER. Meanwhile, husband is in panic mode.

When we got to the hospital, and they unwrapped my arm, and I finally got a good look at the damage, I just about passed out. From the neat, 2" scar that's left, you'd never guess at the ragged, gaping nastiness that it once was.
                                He loves the world...except for all the people.
                                --Men at Work

Comment

Working...
                                X