This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I can get my hands dirty.......

So this yuppie idiot comes in, asking for Automotive books. Bell rings in my head: "Are you looking for (Name of several different Automotive Manuals that don't come from the factory)," I ask. Yuppie says yes, he's looking for it. I tell him he needs to go to the Automotive store for a wider selection.

Yuppie throws a fucking fit because we don't have them and he doesn't want to go to the local Autoshop where it's all grease filled and the people there don't know shit about his Mercedes SUV.

Yeah, if you can afford a Mercedes SUV, you can afford thier repair costs and don;t need a manual.

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
    Yeah, if you can afford a Mercedes SUV, you can afford thier repair costs and don;t need a manual.
    To be fair, some people (like me) prefer to do their own repairs, just so they know that either (1) the job is done right, or (2) so that they don't have anyone else to blame for screwing up their car.

Comment

IMHO, nothing wrong with someone wanting a Chilton manual (are they still published?) so they can fix their car for simple repairs or to know more about it. Assuming you're a bookseller, special ordering one shouldn't be too hard (and the automotive shop might not have a copy).

Comment

Generally people who do their own repairs don't own new Mercedes. Although, there is quite an old Mercedes following here, you see a lot of forty and fifty year old Mercedes running around, some converted to biodeisel. They just last so much longer than the rich people have interest for them. It's pretty easy to get parts. Same deal with old Volvos.
        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Yuppie throws a fucking fit because we don't have them and he doesn't want to go to the local Autoshop where it's all grease filled and the people there don't know shit about his Mercedes SUV.
          So how does he expect to do repairs on his car and not get greasy?
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I would imaging the auto supply store would keep the books they are selling free of grease...

and yeah, you can get Chilton manuals at Barnes & Noble at least.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

All of a sudden I'm having flashbacks to that show....I can't remember, the one with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen when they were babies....oh yeah, Full House!

Car breaks down, Bob Saget's character lifts up the hood and proceeds to freak out that the car is so dirty in there and tries to start cleaning everything....
              ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                Generally people who do their own repairs don't own new Mercedes. Although, there is quite an old Mercedes following here, you see a lot of forty and fifty year old Mercedes running around, some converted to biodeisel. They just last so much longer than the rich people have interest for them. It's pretty easy to get parts. Same deal with old Volvos.
                He bluntly stated that he had a 2006 Mercedes SUV. Unless my memory's off, many of the specialty parts for recent cars must be special ordered by the dealer, not by the customers or independent mechanics. And he should still have the warranty, unless he did something dimwitted to void it.

Plus he stormed off before I could offer to see if I could special order it.

Comment

I wouldn't try working on a newer car, with the exception of a few easy things like oil changes or headlights, blah blah.
                  Just too computerized now for me. It was a different story with my 83' Subaru, I could change out vacuum hoses and other stuff on it without worrying that I was gonna totally screw it up.

Comment

Autoshop where it's all grease filled and the people there don't know shit about his Mercedes SUV.
                    He needs to realize that if he is actually going to do his own repairs HIS manual is going to get all greasy.

Yeah, if you can afford a Mercedes SUV, you can afford thier repair costs and don;t need a manual.[/QUOTE]

If you can find an honest and competent mechanic. I drive a 71 VW type 3 with electronic fuel injection. I couldn't find a mechanic who knew what he was talking about or didn't try to scam me. Now, any repairs that don't involve exotic tools and some that do, I do myself.
                    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

I prefer the Robert Bentley books. Much clearer and simpler.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                        If you can find an honest and competent mechanic. I drive a 71 VW type 3 with electronic fuel injection. I couldn't find a mechanic who knew what he was talking about or didn't try to scam me. Now, any repairs that don't involve exotic tools and some that do, I do myself.
                        Most old Volkswagen owners I know wouldn't trust their beetle to a mechanic. I know I wouldn't trust my semicentennial Volvo to a mechanic.
                        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

l.
                          Okay, so he doesn't want to got to a shop for the manual because they are greasy? As far as people not knowing "shit" about his Mercedes SUV - he's looking for the manual, not trying to have them fix the vehicle. All they would have to know is where they keep the manual.
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                            Hell, I drive an '01 VW Jetta, and half the time (unless I take it back to the dealership I bought it at) people have no idea what to do with it, and I end up with shoddy aftermarket parts that eventually fall off the car for no reason.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

do they even make manuals for newer cars? you need to go to the shop just to change a bulb in your headlights now, Volvo is one of the few where you can actually change the bulb in still yourself... i hate new cars.

and first time i wanted a manual for one of my cars, the auto shop diden't even have it, and claimed they coulden't order one either, then my dad went to the same store, and he got one right away, for the same car...
                              Rawr

Comment

Working...
                              X