X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gypsy Sunday

On Sunday, the cinema is often frequented by Gypsys. We watch for them, we
    know some of them cause trouble.

They are often illiterate, so can't read what films are showing.
    "Waz on nex'?"
    "Waz on fur kids?"

It is often the kids who casue trouble because the adults often dump them in the cinema unattended. Somethimes groups of kids ranging fron 4 -14 years old. These kids often have to weait for their film to start, so are bored and run about or run in and out of their screen, or steal sweets from kiosk.

Sometimes the kids want to get into completely inappropriate films, like Miss Potter, for example.

Sometimes the older kids want to go into 12A rated films and so leave the younger kids on their own.

So they usually drive us batty.

Anyway, today we had them in droves.

The first of a bunch of kids was a lad of thirteen or so, who went into Pirates 3 on his own. He was later expelled from Fantastic Four 2.

Along with him were two young girls, aged 8, who looked like little angels. They were both dressed up to the nines in what looked like party dresses, one with jewellry and a tiara. They had to wait for for Are We Done Yet? and kept asking us when it would be ready, annoying but tolerable. Then they wanted to get into the Pirates screen to see their brother and were told firmly, No!

Two more teenaged girls turned up to see Pirates and knew these two little girls and proceeded to slap them so that they behaved. These two teenagers watched Pirates for 10 minutes and then left because they were sacerd.

Finally when the film started, the two young girls were in and out, in and out until we told them they couldn't go back in. One of them was down on her knees praying that we would give her a second chance.

Then a man arrived and these girls compalained loudly to him that they weren't aloud back into their film, I was half expecting a confrontation, but he told them they should go.

There was about half a dozen teenaged girls who didn't cause any trouble.

Then three adults bought tickets for Oceans Thirteen, along with the first lad that had been expelled form FF, and went into the performance 10 minutes late and caused such a ruckus that a lady came out furious, so a manager had to ask them to leave (to be fair this seemed to be a six of one, half a dozen of the other).

When I went home a 6pm, the kids were hanging off the railings outside the front door.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Sounds like they need to set an age limit to be unaccompanied...

The theater in my town had to set age restrictions because the teenagers would just hang out in front of the theater for hours, making it difficult for people to get in the doors. There's a time limit now for anyone under 18 to be there without a parent.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yeah it really does sound like an age limit needs to be set, especially for certain movies.

Personaly my idea of fun when im there with time to spare is wonder around examining posters and trying to deside if their choice advertisment makes me wanna see the movie (Premenition - eck on the poster, Ghost Rider -cool)

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        Sounds like they need to set an age limit to be unaccompanied...

The theater in my town had to set age restrictions because the teenagers would just hang out in front of the theater for hours, making it difficult for people to get in the doors. There's a time limit now for anyone under 18 to be there without a parent.
        They need to do that in my town. There are too many stupid kids clogging up the entrance.
        For the most part, I don't care about what everyone else is doing, or what is popular.
        -Namie Amuro (Japanese singer)

Comment

We don't have a lot of Gypsies around here, but we get this sort of behavior out of pretty much all the other family groups that tend to rove around in tribes.

I am not shy in the least when telling these brats to knock that crap off.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sometimes its not just the kids. We've had to throw an amorous couple out for getting horizontal in a screen.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
              Sometimes its not just the kids. We've had to throw an amorous couple out for getting horizontal in a screen.
              Oh, ew.

Comment

When I went home a 6pm, the kids were hanging off the railings outside the front door.
                And if one fell the movie theatre would have been sued by the lazy / stupid parents.

In the US that's called child endangerment and the kids can be taken into state custody while the parents are charged.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  Oh, ew.
                  It's more common than you think. I'm sure I told about the time I did a theatre check on "The Santa Clause 2" and saw a woman "inspecting" the lap of her male companion, and my manager told me tales of guys who would pick up underage hookers and take them to the back row.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    It's more common than you think. I'm sure I told about the time I did a theatre check on "The Santa Clause 2" and saw a woman "inspecting" the lap of her male companion, and my manager told me tales of guys who would pick up underage hookers and take them to the back row.
                    Yeah, I'm sure it is, but still, ew. I'll admit to engaging in a bit of hanky panky in a theater on occasion (very occasion...), but at least we remained upright and all clothes remained buttoned and zipped.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                      And if one fell the movie theatre would have been sued by the lazy / stupid parents.
                      These are Gypsies. I can imagine that most of them don't exactly function well within society. They'd probably just smack the kid for being clumsy.

NB: I'm trying not to tar their entire racial/social group with my posts. But they do cause a large proportion of our problems.

Comment

These are Gypsies. I can imagine that most of them don't exactly function well within society. They'd probably just smack the kid for being clumsy.
                        Actually, I can relate to that reaction far easier than suing, probably because that's how I was raised. "Well you're the one who decided to climb the tree. Next time you'll be more careful or stay off the tree."
                        What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Something you might try. I take it from your language that you are in the UK. Convenience stores here in the states have found a solution to kids hanging out around the stores. Set up loudspeakers and play classical or Big Band era music constantly. I guarantee you, the kids will find another place to hang out very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                          X