This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was I sucky?

Over this past weekend, Mac was craving ice cream and wanted to go to cold stone, I am not a huge fan of chunky things in my ice cream but he really likes it so I have no issues, I normally get something and maybe one mix-in.
    We got to the local place and we're checking it out, and trying to decide on what we both wanted, it was slow and I'm sure that the two young ladies working were bored, but they both came over and despite the "we need a few to decide" comment, they both hovered and offered a bunch of rapid fire suggestions.
    I'm constantly pushing Mac to be kind to workers so I let it go. He gets his order and I go with razzberry and white chocolate and pecans, the young lady fixing mine repeats it back to me correctly, I say that's correct and then looking at me the whole time mashes an un-wrapped kit-kat into the ice cream.

This grosses me out, it looks like (don't read if you have a weak stomach) baby poop and I'm a little un-nerved because it wasn't wrapped up. I take one look at it and my stomach churns. I speak up and say that's not right and she blushes and says "Oh well we'll throw it in." I say "No, thanks though I've lost my appetite" and have to leave for some fresh air. I say to Mac get yours and I'll meet you outside, it's not a big deal.

He got outside and was angry about what had been said after I'd left and now wants to write a letter. I'm torn because it was my odd stomach and mindset that grossed me out as mucha s the combo of kit-kat and razzberry sorbet and think that I'll just not go back to that one.

Any thoughts?

Jinxy
    That's just my opinion, I could be wrong" ~Dennis Miller
    http://www.myspace.com/jinxy213
    http://www.myspace.com/bgge

Sucky customer? No way. You were nice about it, considering a real SC would have been rolling on the ground, screaming at her by the point you walked out quietly.

Sucky employee? Yeah, I think you could make a case, especially when she tried to make you go along with her mistake.

At least that's what I came up with.

Comment

No you weren't sucky, they were. What did they say after you left? If it's as bad as I'm imagining then yes I would send a letter even if it's just to let them know how the emloyees behave. It's one thing to discuss a really nasty SC but NEVER infront of other customers. Also how dumb are they to make snide comments infront of him when it's obvious you came with him?

Comment

I say you were very much not in the suck on this one. You were polite, rather than make a scene you calmly walked out, you did not make any unreasonable demands, and you were even polite in pointing out the mistake.

I don't think a letter is warranted over a tiny mistake like that, it depends on what was said after the fact which we are not privy to as you did not share. But from my standpoint this sounds like a routine oops. Employees makes mistakes they are human, its how they handle the clean up that determines whether they are good or sucky employees.

On a side note I have a similar story of my own to share that I am remindined of after reading this one.

I was at a Steak and Shake which is purely incidental, it could have been anywhere. Anyhow, it was late I was out after a long all day event and I was with some friends, we were all very hungry. I finished my meal and ordered a strawberry shortcake.

Now Steak and Shake serves theirs ala mode with whipped cream. Now for the record, I don't like whipped cream. I can tolerate the little dab most ice cream and shake places give you but other than that I can't stand it. The employee brings out the desert with an exclamation of "Here man, I hooked you up"

This thing was loaded down with lots of strawberries (bonus I love strawberries, hence my choice of desert) but it was also covered, and by covered I mean about an inch high or more off the top of the desert and practically overflowing the sides with whipped cream. Needless to say I wasn't overly pleased about it, but the employee also thought he was doing me a favor. I couldn't help but look at the desert without screwing my face up a bit. I smiled though and said "I'm sorry, but I really don't like whipped cream and thats way too much, can you take that back and just make up a normal one for me please?"

The employee just looked at me dumbfounded and then proceeded to try and scrape off the whipped cream and hand it back. Before it even hit the table I replied, "Nevermind, just forget the desert, I don't really want it anymore."

Now I understand the guy was trying to be generous, but he didn't even appologize, or try to make a reasonable correction. Now I generally don't like to make scenes but the employee tried to insist on giving the desert to me with a, "Naw man its alright, here."

At this point we proceded to argue with me insisting I no longer wanted it and him trying to leave the desert and defend his generosity. One of my friends finally piped up with a loud "He said he didn't want it, just get over it." Which got the attention of the manager on duty who might I add was working the very busy drive through practically alone so I didn't really want to bother him. But, upon seeing this he walked over and asked if there was a problem. Surprisingly enough the employee shut up and didnt say a thing while my friends proceeded to explain the situation the whole while I'm trying to insist its really not a big deal, I just don't want the desert any more. The manager being a manager of course insisted on comping the bill and giving me a free desert. I refused the free desert but accepted the compped bill which I insisted wasn't needed. In the end the employee walked back to the back rather red faced (not sure if he was mad or embarassed or both)

Anyhow we all left full and satisfied and I still eat at steak and shake on occasion but really, mistakes are not a big deal until the employee refuses to do something about it and or won't take a reasonably suggested solution.
        Last edited by Chanlin; 06-21-2007, 07:34 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

You were not an SC. I could see if someone ordered oreo and was given Kit Kat on accident just throwing it in, but you had neither chocolate or cookie. They should have re-done without even mentioning it, or possibly said "I can give you that for free, or I can re-start, it's up to you."

Comment

The Kit kat in the ice cream is pretty good, but if you didn't order it with Kit kats then you shouldn't have to settle for something you didn't order. I've had a girl there who when I ordered messed up and gave me a cup with out the waffle bowl even though I specifically asked and my step mom wanted one of the bowls too but got a cone.
            Soon I will be on vacation in the land of really tasty shiskab but that's not relavant. Mmmm meat on skewers
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Jinxy View Post
              He got outside and was angry about what had been said after I'd left and now wants to write a letter. I'm torn because it was my odd stomach and mindset that grossed me out as mucha s the combo of kit-kat and razzberry sorbet and think that I'll just not go back to that one.

Any thoughts?

Jinxy
              I think he has every right to write and complain.
              Yeah well this started because the thought of a kit kat in raspberry sorbet was sickening to you ( and me ewwwwwwwww) but the employees should have been nicer.
              If they said rude things about you when you left they deserve a complaint.
              You were damn nice if you ask me.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                Yeah well this started because the thought of a kit kat in raspberry sorbet was sickening to you ( and me ewwwwwwwww) but the employees should have been nicer.
                If they said rude things about you when you left they deserve a complaint.
                You were damn nice if you ask me.
                I agree.

As the customer it's your right to get the product that you are paying for. My wife hates it, but I won't pay for a product that I didn't order, even if it's close. Now I don't believe I'm ever a jerk about it, and I've never had a company have a problem with quickly fixing the issue.

You spoke up and mentioned that the order was wrong & they tried to sweep the issue under the rug. You're paying good money for the product and you deserve to get what you ordered.

Comment

Okay I totally agree that if that's not what you wanted then it is not what you should have been offered...But look I think way to many people complain over way to much I mean really think about it whta will it do perhaps have someone reptmanded and lose their job....is that really what you want..I mean I am defending you but why must so many resort to filing complaints..yes I suppose they did say some negative things...but hey haven't we all after the customer walked out...Noone may agree with me here but i have had petty complaints placed on me over some really small ridiculous things and I wondered did what I do really effect that person to the point they thought long and hard to complain and possibly have me fired..It's your choice but no I wouldn't have just accepted it but I would have just said no thank you I rather have what I ordered I know you are trying to be generous because of your mistake but see I am really laid back yet take no shit....

Comment

I think it all depends on what was said after you left the shop. If it was rude and uncalled for, then yes, a complaint is warranted. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.

Comment

I'm not crazy about stuff in my ice cream either...I like hot fudge and I mix it all up I usually go for a chocolate shake at Coldstone
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Inquiring minds want to know what was said too. I'm having a bit of a problem with the local Cold Stone here. I swear every time I go in there's a different crew and different management.

The last time, they refused to accept a coupon that they'd given SO just a week prior for a buy one get one ice cream creation (one mix in). I'm still waiting for the manager to call to settle this problem. If they didn't want customers to come in with these coupons, they shouldn't have been handing them out to being with.

That's okay. I'll go to Oberweiss or Dairy Queen down the street. Especially now that they're offering waffle cone treats now.
                        Random conversation:
                        Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                        DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

My mother-in-law thinks my wife and I complain too much about food and service when we do go out, which is not all that often. We compliment just as fast as we complain, but when we are paying for something, we do expect it to be what we have ordered, and we expect a certain level of service. We are not martinets about it, but do expect to get what we pay for. There was a commercial that ran recently where a customer told the waitress he did not want mayo on his sandwich (I can't blame him). She picks up the bun half with the mayo on it and scrapes it off on the edge of the table. We have encountered service that was almost that bad. Fortunately, when we do complain, the business usually bends over backwards to make it right. We don't think of ourselves as sucky, and we both tip very well for good service.

Comment

Working...
                          X