This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Cia View Post
    Our mechanic told me that if the light is steady then I can drive it for a short distance - say from my house to the mechanic's shop - but if the light is blinking then pull over immediately and have it towed in.
    That sort of thing can vary from car to car. On my previous car, the manual's suggestions on a steady light included a tank of high-quality gas. And the mechanic said that splashing through a puddle could be enough to turn that on for a while.

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
      And trying to remove the oil filter they put on? Not without putting a screwdriver through it for leverage.
      Yeah, I found that out the hard way awhile back. I used to do my own oil changes, but I decided to take it to "Iffy Lube", as I call them, the one time. When I tried to do my own oil change the next time, the filter crumpled like tinfoil as soon as I tried to wrap the wrench around it. My dad tried the screwdriver trick, which tore it up even worse. Eventually, someone else at the house got it off. How, I have no idea. But needless to say, I never took my car there again.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I've heard those places subscribe to the "overtight is better than a leak the customer can blame on us" school of filter replacement, instead of the "Hand tight plus 1/4" one. So I'm not surprised.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I always like to say my service engine soon light provides a valuable service--it tells me my service engine soon light is working.

That thing has been on almost constantly for years, and I've had no problems. Then again, that particular light is tied to the emissions system, and the owners manual says it can light up for things such as the electronics getting wet, different brands or grades of fuel being put in the car, or the gas cap isn't on just the right way.

It's the light with the wrench that I need to worry about.

RE belt vs chain--my Saturn has a timing chain, which lasts longer than a timing belt. But the engine oil helps to maintain the proper tension on it, so it's one of those cars where you have to get the oil changed at 3,000 miles. Plus it likes to burn oil, so I just buy a case of oil every now and then and consider that the cost of driving the car.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            That thing has been on almost constantly for years, and I've had no problems. Then again, that particular light is tied to the emissions system, and the owners manual says it can light up for things such as the electronics getting wet, different brands or grades of fuel being put in the car, or the gas cap isn't on just the right way.
            Something to watch out for on emissions only lights; if it's because there's a leak upstream of the O2 sensor, it will dump more fuel in to compensate for what it sees as a lean burn condition. And since the air/fuel ratio is off, the catalytic converter bares the brunt of this abuse. If things get really bad that cat (or if you have two) will eventually clog and need to be replaced. I've had that unfortunate event happen before and was very much not fun. You should consider taking it into an Autoparts place and having them pull codes from the ODBC port (most do this for free). Next step is to just google the codes plus make/model to see what the typical problem is.
            But the paint on me is beginning to dry
            And it's not what I wanted to be
            The weight on me
            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              I've heard those places subscribe to the "overtight is better than a leak the customer can blame on us" school of filter replacement, instead of the "Hand tight plus 1/4" one.
              I've heard that as well...and that's why I don't use those places unless I have to. I don't mind sending the Toyota down there--changing the oil on that is an easy job. Undo the drain plug, pop off the filler cap, and out it comes. Replace the filter, tighten the plug, fill, and you're done.

Not so on my other car. That never goes to the quickie-lube place. They're simply not set up to handle it. Very few places locally stock the necessary filters. The MG uses a 'canister' with a replaceable paper element. I've done the oil myself. It's messy, since removing the filter's housing usually involves oil getting on the floor, the starter, and anywhere else it can
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I still go to the dealership and pay extra for the oil change in lieu of big comfy chairs and free wifi and whatnot....and free food
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I go to an independent mechanic for oil changes. I used to go to a tire center that also did mechanical stuff, but the independent is cheaper and his waiting room doesn't make me gag from tire fumes.

I'm going for an oil change Thursday, and also to get an estimate on some other stuff. Went to Auto Zone to have the codes read and I think it's time for new spark plugs and wires.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I also have an independent mechanic who I love to pieces. They are so good to me; have fixed my heat and let me pay when I got paid, rather than freeze my behind off in the winter, and not charged me labor, just parts. they will squeeze me in when my former car would pull something on me, and, they actually helped me sell former car, to another one of their customers. Had an '03 Taurus with 102K, and it acted up a few weeks back. Based on the rotten egg stench, i figured it was the cat conv, and started looking to replace it. I was going to this summer anyway.

Turned out to be spark plug or ignition wires, a $200 job, so I paid for have it fixed, as i would have to trade it in or sell on my own, and they had a customer looking for a car to drive locally, for his kid. Gave me 2K cash, less than book value, but the car was not without issue, and a bit cosmetically dinged up, so a win win for all, and I got a shiny, almost new Camry for me. I love that car.

Comment

A few years back I had a problem where my truck would overheat and then die while I was driving. At the time it first happened, I didn't have ant money to repair it but I found that if I let it sit overnight it would be okay. I finally decided to take it in when it did this to me on a 4 hour highway trip to visit family. Lucky for me it died after I had gotten off the highway. My husband takes it to a local shop and the guy is really nice, says replace this and this and if that doesn't fix it, then bring it back. So my husband replaced the parts that the guy suggested and that fixed the problem but ever since then the check engine light has been on. I admit, I am probably an SC when it comes to vehicles but my husband is pretty good about those things.
                      Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                        I still go to the dealership and pay extra for the oil change in lieu of big comfy chairs and free wifi and whatnot....and free food
                        Hehe same here. Plus, there's an added bonus--the internet auto sales girl is hot
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                        X