This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May, The Tow Force Be With You!

Ah, the lovely month of May draws to a close soon, and so do the highlights it brought into my life. Behold:

Persistence Doesn't Always Pay Off

While leaving lot "A" that we tow from, I'm flagged down by a guy who's parked in lot "B" on the other side of the road, it's a lot we don't do, it belongs to "Other Guys Towing" and has signs saying such.

Guy - Will we get towed if we park here?
    Me - I don't know Sir, that's not my lot
    Guy - But we're just unloading the car, we won't be staying!
    Me - That's not my lot Sir
    Guy - We'll only be a few minutes!
    Me - Sir, that is not my lot, I don't tow from there, I have no jurisdiction there, so I can't answer your question, you're talking to the wrong person.
    Guy - But, what happens if we DO get towed?
    Me - You'll probably have to pay $115 to get the car back, that's the standard rate in town

He parked there anyway. I have no idea what ever became of him. If he did get ticketed/towed, he probably tried to blame it on me somehow, because I didn't tell him he COULDN'T park there.

If so, I no doubt became "That Guy" in his story. You know, "That Guy" who said it was okay to illegally park? The one who tells half the folk I tow in that he'll give permission to them, even if it's not his lot? I've seen this performance from both sides of the stage before, I know how it always plays out...... and while it used to be a comedy, it's now just mostly tragic

Meter Moronity

Really? You pulled across 4 spaces, longways, with a car AND a small utility trailer, and didn't pay ANY of them? You're about as sharp as that guy who backed straight in to a spot, also with a trailer, so that his truck was standing out in the row, blocking any other car from getting past unless it were driven by a member of a traveling stunt show that could two-wheel it Dukes of Hazzard style through the gap. Or that guy who put his flashers on while perfectly straddling two parking stalls, exactly half in one, half in the other, without paying EITHER meter... and they WONDER why they get towed? Me, I'm wondering why the spell check is flagging "Moronity" as a misspelled word, it's just so awesome-sounding and concise, it SHOULD be a word! After this, I'm cancelling everything and calling the Daniel Webster estate!

Flasher, Flasher, Raging Teeth-Gnasher

Speaking of flasher-induced rage, I towed a car last Friday that had it's flashers on, but was parked in a clearly-marked private permit-only lot, sans le permit for, now get this, AN HOUR AND 25 MINUTES.

That's how long the lot owners let it sit before they decided he'd worn out his welcome and had him removed. He even got a little more time since it took a few extra minutes for me to get down there.

I must've hooked him as he was coming down the stairs, because he was pounding on the door up front before I had even finished unloading his car in the impound yard. I don't know exactly what kind, thoughtful and minty-fresh words he was using, but, if it's any indication, as I was bringing my paperwork up so he could get his car back, I caught the last part of the last sentence the Towing Manager was using on him, which was:

"Right now, you have two options, you go outside and take a 5 minute break and then come back in ready to behave, or I will call the police and have you removed from the property"

Why do I miss all the good parts?

BTW, he did go outside and cool down, so there will be no seeing this gentleman on a future episode of "Cops" with a blurred-out face as he ramps up a simple civil matter to felony assault. From what I gathered, he had tried unsuccessfully to argue his 4 way flashers were, in fact, "Free Parking Lights" and we had no right to tow him from that building, while hyperventilating and cursing quite a bit.

That argument went about as well as you'd expect.

And for further LOL'z (that's what the kids call them these days, right?) I ran his plate through the computer on a hunch and lo n' behold, we've towed him before..... last year....... from the exact same lot...... for doing the same thing......... isn't that the pure definition of insanity right there?

Minimum Effort, Maximum Fail

When your hang-from-the-rearview permit expires, you have to do a little wee more than just flip it around so the blank side faces out and the number side faces in if you want to hide the fact it expired on the 8th from me. You really also shouldn't have left your windows down so far that I could stick my whole melon inside and see for a fact that I wasn't imagining it, it really DID expire on 5/8/13... nearly 2 WEEKS ago. And then you had to go and ask why you got towed? To be fair, when told "you know why" , you agreed with us.

I'm Getting Good at This

Found another do-it-yourself souvenir hunter's handiwork today. Pulled into a lot near campus to check the cars for permits and noticed a stop sign with all of it's post, including the six or so inches that were clearly in the ground recently, yanked free and propped up against the door to the apartment.

A quick check of the back revealed the expected asset tag, proving it was, despite it's relocation, still property of the Borough

So I hauled it to my vehicle and drove it on over to the municipal building, and just happened to be pulling in as one of this town's finest was leaving, I flagged him down and explained what I'd found and he opened up the door to the police garage for me so we could put it someplace secure until the public works guys could come by to collect it.

Both the Officer and myself agreed that it was DEFINITELY more than a one-man job to liberate the darn thing, wherever it came from, and I got a nice thank-you to boot.

Sorry boys, but my taxes paid for part of that, you want one? Buy your own. That's the 4th liberated street sign I've returned to servitude in this manner on this job, and I have no illusions that it will be the last.

Along with that stolen "Speed Bump" sign I also stole back from outside a frat last week, that makes your score so far this year:

ARGABARGA: 2
    VANDALS: 0

Now, your out-of-town scoreboard

VISIGOTHS: 14
    HUNS: 38

GERMANI: 21
    ROMANS: 0

UPPER WASSAMATTAWITCHEZ VALLEY: 21
    BISHOP McWIMP: 3

Oops, that last one musta been a local HS football game, my bad.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

I alway do enjoy your stories. And on the extremely rare occasion I have ever been towed I have always been polite to the impound people and tow truck drivers, after all if I hadn't screwed up I wouldn't be visiting them!

Comment

Idea for the moronities - a digital camera. Take a picture of the, uh, "creative parking job" and attach it to their file. Then, when they ask why they got towed just show them the photo.

(Might make some interesting posts, too, if you could do so without violating privacy.)
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

There should be a special place in hell reserved for those that steal stop signs. Street signs? A mostly harmless (if expensive) annoying crime. Stop signs? People get killed when those are missing. (When I was in college, I remember some frat boys going to prison for a few years after somebody was killed after they stole one.)

Comment

Meter Moronity
          Yeah but they only have to pay one towing fee, right? (or perhaps 2 if they had a trailer). Now if you could charge per parking spot... that might reduce the number of idiot parkers, no?

Sorry boys, but my taxes paid for part of that, you want one? Buy your own. That's the 4th liberated street sign I've returned to servitude in this manner on this job, and I have no illusions that it will be the last.
          It's not as if they're hard to find too. http://www.safetysign.com/Traffic+Si...1249/4957.html

(Might make some interesting posts, too, if you could do so without violating privacy.)
          Not to mention lovely entries on http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com - although i suspect they'll bitch about it even if you cover up the plates

Comment

Great stories, as always, Argabarga!

Especially the flasher guy (funny, I have a different image in my head to go with that moniker... ) I love it..."free parking lights". He obviously did it again because he's convinced you are in the wrong. What an idiot.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
              I believe you ARE able to post pictures like that on most websites on the proviso that you mosaic or block out the number plate so that the car can not be identified (it is best to post pictures done in this way in JPG format as some PNG format pictures retain their 'layers', meaning that someone can just delete the box and see the number plate)
              Violets are blue,
              Roses are red,
              I bequeath to thee...
              A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Well, sadly, I'll have to quash that idea before it gains any traction, I cannot provide photos.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  I've seen this performance from both sides of the stage before....
                  So miscreant steps up to the lot's counter and says "Agrabagra from Other Guy's Towing said I could park there." and expects that to get them out of the fee? Awesome. Except for the whole side-splitting laughter thing.

"Moronity"... it's just so awesome-sounding and concise, it SHOULD be a word!
                  Sure. Civil people act with civility, stupid people engage in stupidity, morons perform moronities. Making an abstract noun with "-ity" should be like making things plural with an "-s", anyone should be allowed to do it.

tried unsuccessfully to argue his 4 way flashers were, in fact, "Free Parking Lights"
                  I went out and checked both the button and the manual in the truck and the word "Free" appears nowhere near the words "Parking Lights." But we know how, uhmmm, 'interpretive' SC reading skills are.....

yanked free and propped up against the door to the apartment.
                  Imma go out on a limb here and guess alcohol was involved.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Sure. Civil people act with civility, stupid people engage in stupidity, morons perform moronities. Making an abstract noun with "-ity" should be like making things plural with an "-s", anyone should be allowed to do it.
                    And as all inmates at the Crosstime Saloon know, gods are irons.
                    "Smoking Shoes" Rephrakttylos, freeloadonsofa of Ephebe.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

For that first idiot - you could just save a lot of time by giving up on explaining that you are the wrong guy to ask and just tell them no. That skips the whole argument about asking you, and cuts straight to the argument about why they should ignore the sign. At which point you explain you'll call it in immediately, and someone will be by to tow them in 10 or 15 minutes.
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                        A little digital editing to obscure a license plate number should suffice. They do that all the time on eBay.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          And as all inmates at the Crosstime Saloon know, gods are irons.
                          Gosh, haven't read Callahan's in ages. May have to dig up some ebook versions.

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                          A little digital editing to obscure a license plate number should suffice.
                          The way I read it ADe, Arga just plain can't - not b/c of obfuscation. Which is fine and dandy, the Towmeister paints a pretty darned good word picture.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                            For that first idiot - you could just save a lot of time by giving up on explaining that you are the wrong guy to ask and just tell them no. That skips the whole argument about asking you, and cuts straight to the argument about why they should ignore the sign. At which point you explain you'll call it in immediately, and someone will be by to tow them in 10 or 15 minutes.
                            I agree, but unless Argabarga could get around Mr. "We'll Only Be A Few Minutes!", he was stuck with either trying to use logic ... or run over him.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                              I agree, but unless Argabarga could get around Mr. "We'll Only Be A Few Minutes!", he was stuck with either trying to use logic ... or run over him.
                              Or as I call it, "applied logic"

Comment

Working...
                              X