This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange cat behavior...

We have 5 cats, 3 boys and 2 girls. All of them are spayed and neutered. This story involves the oldest boy, Ash (about 14 years old) and the middle boy, Pluto (almost 2 years old.)

In the last several months, we have noticed Ash likes to ... "stomp" on Pluto. Usually what happens is this. Pluto will be laying down somewhere, usually on our bed and usually in the middle of the night or as we're going to sleep. Pluto will be minding his own business, dozing, when Ash will walk up to him, grab him by the back of his neck in his mouth, climb up on top of Pluto, and "knead" or stomp him with all 4 paws. Pluto doesn't really seem to care and Ash REALLY likes it. He purrs like crazy and shows other signs of "pleasure."

Has anyone ever seen this in cats before? We're not sure if we should be really amused (which we are anyway) or concerned. Ash doesn't seem to hurt Pluto and Pluto doesn't seem to mind (he just lays there while Ash kneads him), so we just let them go on with it when it happens.

I'm guessing he's "marking" pluto?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

My parents' boy cats used to do that when we still had both of them. Tigger was 5-6 years old at the time and Lucy (boycat despite the name) was a year old. Tigger was neutered but Lucy wasn't. Tigger would routinely plop on top of him and nip his neck and shoulders, make happy paws all over his back, etc., and they both loved it... the purrfest could be heard from across the room. As far as I knew, it was just because they loved each other. It was kitty cuddling.

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

I've . . . never heard of anything like that, but then again I've seldom had more than one cat at a time.

But if Pluto didn't like it, he'd be letting Ash know about it, I'm sure.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a comfort thing, and if Pluto doesn't mind, let Ash have his fun. Pics would be nice...
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Mitchell and Oscar (my boycats) won't stomp on each other, however Oscar does this really funny thing sometimes. He likes to clean Mitchell (older boycat) a LOT, however like a kid, Mitchell will squirm and put up a fuss. So as a kitten and to some degree, when he's older, Oscar will grab Mitchell in a kitty "headlock" and finish cleaning him (he wraps both paws around Mitchell's head).
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              Mitchell and Oscar (my boycats) won't stomp on each other, however Oscar does this really funny thing sometimes. He likes to clean Mitchell (older boycat) a LOT, however like a kid, Mitchell will squirm and put up a fuss. So as a kitten and to some degree, when he's older, Oscar will grab Mitchell in a kitty "headlock" and finish cleaning him (he wraps both paws around Mitchell's head).
              Taz is kinda like that with me. When I'm playing with her, I'll let her pounce on my hand for a bit, then she'll grab it with her paws and start licking furiously. If I try to pull away, she'll grab harder, gnaw a knuckle, and go back to licking (never actually bites, all very playful).
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as both cats seem happy with the arrangement. My roommate moved in when her boy kitty was 5 years old and mine was only about 8-9 months and they do pretty much the same thing. In fact, they will pause their mock wrestling matches so that Hasani can do this to Pyewacket.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  But if Pluto didn't like it, he'd be letting Ash know about it, I'm sure.
                  Yep, if kitty isn't happy, you'll hear growling. Lately, I've noticed similar behavior with my cats. Sally will be curled up somewhere, and Baxter will either pounce on her, or nip at her neck. She usually responds with a loud growl...and then runs away.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                  X