X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millennial Anti-Theft Device

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.17753...,ffffff.u1.jpg

I've actually read stories where this is somewhat true.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I think that could work. One of the truckers at work and I were talking this morning about his injured left foot, and he mentioned that the truck he drives is an automatic. He also said it's getting to where most are, much to my surprise.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Really screw with a car thief ...
      Cit 2CV
      or
      manual choke

I learned to drive manual, pretty much anything even the 2cv and I understand using the manual choke.

My favorite vehicle for millenial antitheft would be my old International Harvester Scout
      Oh my God .. the pedals and levers and knobs .... and such a bare-assed ugly interior! =)
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

A couple times a year, you hear about carjackers who abandon the vehicle less than a block from where they steal it, because they can't drive stick.

Automatics in heavy trucks are a problem - you can't get yourself unstuck from snow, and they're being brought in so companies can hire driverssteering wheel holders who can't drive a manual.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
          My favorite vehicle for millenial antitheft would be my old International Harvester Scout
          Oh my God .. the pedals and levers and knobs .... and such a bare-assed ugly interior! =)
          I think I used to work with a guy who had something similar to that International Harvester Scout.

I have an uncle who had (has?) a 1957 Chevy with "three on the tree".

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            I think I used to work with a guy who had something similar to that International Harvester Scout.

I have an uncle who had (has?) a 1957 Chevy with "three on the tree".
            <shrug> I love manuals, especially in a snowbelt area. I really don't mind screwy transmissions/locations, a little practice and learning the shift pattern and I'm good.

See, if you can drive a manual, you can generally drive anything [thanks to working for a truck rental/leasing company I am comfortable in pretty much anything up to a 30 foot stakebody, and thanks to working in a chemical plant I am comfortable with both small and large forklifts. My preferences are for an IH Scout for sloppy weather and cargo and small manual sportscars for fun =) I adored my TVR Vixen =) ]
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

<shrug> I love manuals, especially in a snowbelt area. I really don't mind screwy transmissions/locations, a little practice and learning the shift pattern and I'm good.

See, if you can drive a manual, you can generally drive anything [thanks to working for a truck rental/leasing company I am comfortable in pretty much anything up to a 30 foot stakebody, and thanks to working in a chemical plant I am comfortable with both small and large forklifts. My preferences are for an IH Scout for sloppy weather and cargo and small manual sportscars for fun =) I adored my TVR Vixen =) ]
              Another thing I've noticed that some car manufacturers are starting to do is the "Continuously Variable Transmission"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contin...e_transmission

Comment

I'm 42. I'm not good at driving a stick - in fact I HATE driving a stick, but, I probably could, if needed.
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Sadly this anti-theft device would be ineffective in Europe.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                    I'm 42. I'm not good at driving a stick - in fact I HATE driving a stick, but, I probably could, if needed.
                    My wife never learned how. I don't think either of her parents knew how to, either.

I learned how when I was 16, with a small pickup.

Comment

On my mother's last driving test (senior citizens are tested to see if they're still capable of driving) the examiner asked her where she learned to drive a manual. Her answer probably shocked him "On my father's '37 Chevy pickup when I was learning how to drive".
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Really screw with a car thief ...
                        Cit 2CV
                        Deux Chevaux? Oh, my, I think I may love you!!

Beware--that might be getting really "in" with the hipster crowd now!!

I adored my TVR Vixen =) ]
                        OK, I know I love you now!!

(Don't let my wife hear me say that!!!)

Quoth mjr View Post
                        Another thing I've noticed that some car manufacturers are starting to do is the "Continuously Variable Transmission"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contin...e_transmission
                        CVTs are pretty neat in that they allow the engine to run at any speed, regardless of the road speed. So if you have an engine that is built for lots of low-end torque, you can keep the RPMs relatively low. Or if you have an engine that is built to rev, you can wind the RPMs up. And when you aren't trying to accelerate, it can drop the RPMs down as far as is practical for good fuel economy.

Sadly the economy is hurt by the extra friction that exists in most CVT designs, but those are slowly improving.

Of course, there is also the benefit that people who don't want to bother with learning a third pedal can drive a CVT...
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I very much prefer to drive a stick, although due to needing an inexpensive vehicle quickly, I am driving an automatic. A full year later, I'm still reaching for the missing shifter.

My 15 year old daughter is not allowed to drive my car while learning. she has to learn on her dad's car. A stick shift.

Comment

The biggest problem I had when I first started learning to drive a stick was forgetting to downshift at red lights and stop signs. And sometimes getting started at hills...

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                              I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm 47 and never learned to drive a stick. I could probably figure it out if I had to, but it'd be like typing on a non-QWERTY keyboard.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X