Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 04-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Professional Geek

Quote:
Quoth greek_jester View Post
Don't you have smart meters in the US? We've had them for several years over here, and it's wonderful. They install it and tie it into your gas and electric meters (if you have dual fuel), tie it into the wifi network, and they can check your meter reading in real time. Before I moved back into my late mother's house I hadn't had to send in a meter reading for 3 years but always had an accurate bill.
We don't have that, but our meters are set up with a some kind of radio device, so all our 'meter readers' have to do is drive down the street to get the readings transmitted to them.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Don't you have smart meters in the US?
We have them in the US. Probably several different types. But given the number of gas companies across the country, many of them have not upgraded to present day technology. Having meter readers visit all the customers is cheaper than all the new equipment required, at least in this year's budget.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Pune Massacreeist

Quote:
Don't you have smart meters in the US? ...
A significant portion of the population believes that if the revenoors want it, they'll have to come and get it. Besides, the wolf dog needs some entertainment.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:24 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

There was a big kerfuffle around my area about smart meters a few years ago. People were convinced they were reporting more usage than had actually occurred, as their bills had gone up after the smart meter was installed.

The furor disappeared; not sure what the actual cause of the issue was found to be...

Old 04-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Area Manager

Or
Quote:
Don't you have smart meters in the US?.
We do. The techs aren't reading the meter they are checking for gas leaks. Energy regs require inspections to protect public safety.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Computer Tech

A gas leak is an evacuate immediately event for good reason. They're not going to put a notice on your door for that.

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Old counter jumper

Quote:
Quoth catcul View Post
A gas leak is an evacuate immediately event
I'll see your gas explosion and raise you a BLEVE.

I was 1.33 km (4,370.73 ft) from that when it went off. I knew some of the survivors.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:00 AM
Cashier

A long time ago, in the land of Bloomington Calif, there was a gasoline/oil something with large tanks of oil...at least 16, that I remember. I was young back then. At that time, smelling a little gas from the whatever it was was normal. So, something happened and the people driving by would notice that the gas smell was strong, but dismiss it by blaming the wind.

Until the day that one of the tanks caught fire, then the fire spread to the other tanks. The heat was so intense that it melted the freeway a quarter mile away.

We lived almost 3 miles away and we could see the flames, feel the heat and smell the stink. Most exciting thing that happened in that podunk town until that time a plane crashed into the Swing Auditorium in Colton.

Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 04-13-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quoth gerund View Post
Here it is electricity suppliers. Our electricity used to be only supplied by the one state owned company who generated it. Now there are tens of (mostly) unregulated suppliers who claim huge discounts on an inflated price that overall works out more expensive.
We have that here in Pennsylvania (US) as well. For decades, you were stuck with whatever electric cartel that served your area. It was about 25 years ago that you could choose your supplier here. While the power would still come through the current infrastructure, it would come from other sources. These sources are largely unregulated--and irritating as hell to deal with. I get multiple calls--at work and at home--wanting me to change providers, since the smaller ones are so much cheaper.