Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 11-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Asura Mesmer

Quote:
Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
Crap. Let me guess, if they sue her for not paying their taxes, she will declare bankruptcy and they will not get a thing (because employees are on the bottom of the debt collection ladder, and of course she owes everyone money).
She has declared bankruptcy in the past, but it was a chapter 13 (IIRC), which means her debts were not discharged. She made payments to the bankruptcy court for many years (I want to say 10 years, but I don't remember for sure). She only just finished making those payments a year or two ago, and now she's back in the same situation that forced her into bankruptcy before.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
Crap. Let me guess, if they sue her for not paying their taxes, she will declare bankruptcy and they will not get a thing (because employees are on the bottom of the debt collection ladder, and of course she owes everyone money).

Well, then this has made me more grateful of my excellent employer.
While secured loans are above payroll, and payroll is technically lumped in with all other unsecured non-tax debt, on a practical basis, bankruptcy judges usually give employees a larger-than-proportional share of the crumbs left (if any) to help satisfy their back pay.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Cashier

I did some work at one point for a business whose owner was much like Betty. I was young and naive at the time, and eventually wrote off the idea of ever being paid after she "let me go" (I had been lied to and led to believe I had a secure full time position). Surprisingly, I actually got a check in the mail... two years later! Even more surprisingly is that the place is still up and running, and by rumors in the community, the same not-paying-people shenanigans are still going on.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Front End Supervisor

I saw an unpleasant experience at the bank one day. I had gone to pick up a change order, and there were 2 guys in front of me, cashing their paychecks from the same employer. Each gets a different teller, and teller #2 was faster than teller #1 (even though she started the transaction after #1 started).

So teller #1 looks over at #2 and asks, "How did you do that? The computer says the bank account is empty." Teller #2 points to her customer. "It's empty now. His paycheck just cleaned it out."

The 2 guys stare at each other in horror, one completely paid and the other screwed. I grab my change order and run. Since teller #2 knew exactly what was going down (she made a comment to the effect that the company had been doing slowly going under for a year), I thought it was a little mean of her not to warn everyone what was going on.
To charm it with forks and hope!

Old 11-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Squishyware engineer

She really can't do too much-there's rules about account privacy and such. So until your check bounces, she probably can't tell you there's an issue.

Last edited by MadMike; 11-19-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Front End Supervisor

You're right, I didn't think about that.
To charm it with forks and hope!

Old 11-20-2014, 01:15 AM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth winner every time View Post
Surprisingly, I actually got a check in the mail... two years later!
My first employer took a while for everyone to get their final pay (which came from the bankruptcy attorney). I don't remember whether it was two years.

They were kind enough to call the unemployment office to give them a heads up when they told us all we were out of a job. And that office let us count our termination from the day we were supposed to get the final paycheck rather than the day we were told it wouldn't simply be late.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth mhkohne View Post
She really can't do too much-there's rules about account privacy and such. So until your check bounces, she probably can't tell you there's an issue.
Actually, the teller can't even disclose why the check can't be cashed. There's a number of reasons beyond NSF that could cause the teller software to decline to cash a given check. NSF might be the most common, but it's far from the only one.

This reminds me of a situation I handled when I worked at MajorBank. An irate customer wanted to cash her tenant's rent check and we declined to. Our teller software doesn't actually tell the teller why we're declining to cash a given check. Of course, if's it's an on-us check, the teller could just look up the account number, but that would be frowned upon. Anyway, this teller calls my department (why, I don't know, as we didn't normally deal with that sort of stuff), and given that it was a slow day, I try to explain to her that there are numerous reasons she could have been given the do not cash message. Out of curiosity, I looked up the account number. The check was being declined because it was written off an account that was not only closed, but had been charged off several years prior.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Mistress of the House of Books

Quote:
Quoth Ghel View Post
She only just finished making those payments a year or two ago, and now she's back in the same situation that forced her into bankruptcy before.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
-- George Santayana
3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Seasonal Tax Preparer

Quote:
Quoth sirwired View Post
While secured loans are above payroll, and payroll is technically lumped in with all other unsecured non-tax debt
Tax debts are, of course, expempt from bankruptcy. If the withheld taxes are, in fact, paid from whatever assets the BK estate has; then the employees are off the hook. As the restaurant is losing money (at least on paper) there would be no business income taxes--sales taxes due to MN, but no income tax.
IOW, this situation stinks!

Who is John Galt?
-Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Last edited by taxguykarl; 11-20-2014 at 03:19 PM.