Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

The Remoteless Wonder
Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 AM
Front End Supervisor

Default The Remoteless Wonder

I get a call from one of the rooms. This gentleman wants to know how to change the station on his tv. I let him know that the satellite boxes are attached to the right side of the dresser in the back - and to aim the remote in that direction.

Come to find out he has no clue how to operate a tv remote. The interaction starts out nice enough but soon spins into utter chaos. I am trying to explain the buttons and he is incapable of looking at his remote and following along. I tell him there is a guide button and a channel select button. He is mad and tells me "you mean the most important button on the remote is tiny?" Every time I try and offer up directions he tells me that he is the one asking questions and why can't I just answer his questions.

I ask him if I could come to the room and help him - nope. I once again try to explain the concept of changing channels and he is talking down to me and just being rude. I let him know that I can't help him if he won't listen so the call is over.

He storms the lobby now and wants to know why I hung up. So now I play nice nice and show him on the lobby tv what to do - and he starts again with the questions.

All in all it took me over 20 minutes to show him how to simply change a channel.

Mom
Old 05-18-2019, 02:20 PM
Area Manager

Default Mom

Sounds like my mom. At night you just had to point in the general direction of the TV to control it. But when full sunlight was streaming into the room (about 4 hours each day) you needed to point the control directly at the bottom left-hand side of the TV to control it from across the room.

I lost count the number of time my mom claimed the remote was not working even when she pointed it at the TV, only to come up to find the control she claimed was not working to be pointed 45 degrees away from the TV. You could tell her this to her face and she would still claim she was pointing it okay.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Pune Massacreeist

Where are you? I need to tell the rest home that my Dad has decarcerated himself again.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:51 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

Huh. When I was a kid, my parents had an even simpler way to change the channel. They told me or my brother to get up and change the dial "...while you're up."

...I wasn't up. I was snuggled into a pillow with my dear friends Mr PiBB and Mme Ruffles.
"Customers are like van gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit
"Logic: sometimes it's not a thing." - Food Lady

Last edited by EricKei; 05-20-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
I lost count the number of time my mom claimed the remote was not working even when she pointed it at the TV, only to come up to find the control she claimed was not working to be pointed 45 degrees away from the TV. You could tell her this to her face and she would still claim she was pointing it okay.
Semantic battle. For the 20ish hours the remote is pointed, enough, at the tv to work. What it isn't is pointed at the sensor.

I can point my rmote directly away, and slightly below, the sensor and have it work in all conditions

However
Old 05-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Area Manager

Default However

Quote:
Quoth rvdammit View Post
Semantic battle. For the 20ish hours the remote is pointed, enough, at the tv to work. What it isn't is pointed at the sensor.

I can point my rmote directly away, and slightly below, the sensor and have it work in all conditions
Even that was partly my mom's fault. Before we moved in my mom had the house remodeled. She wanted windows (there was originally only a small one), she got WINDOWS! It was just short of a sun-room, when I said the sunlight streamed in, I mean it really streamed in. The poor infrared red beam of the remote really had a major problem being seen by the TV.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:20 PM
Bookkeeper

There are times my remote works better if I point it back over my shoulder to bounce the signal off the wall than if I point it forward at the device.

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Old 05-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Seanette View Post
There are times my remote works better if I point it back over my shoulder to bounce the signal off the wall than if I point it forward at the device.
Are the batteries slightly loose in the compartment? If they are then padding the compartment slightly might help.

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:43 AM
Bookkeeper

Hmm, may have to check that.

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 PM
Till/horse trainer/instructor

See shit like this is why I got my technotarded mom a remote where she can hold just one button down and speak what she wants into it. That way I don’t have to hear her yelling for me across the house when I just got comfortable “How do I get channel -blank-?” “How do I change the channel?” “What does this button do?” Its great because you don’t have to be precise in how you word things either. I can say “guide” “channels” or “change the channel” “play -blank- channel”. I have even set voice commands into it so when the technotards (looking at you mom) say something like “gimmie flippy channel screen” it will bring up the guide since apparently one syllable words are to hard to remember for one who grew up on a typewriter.

Giving a fu(k doesn’t really go with my outfit.

As the sh!t deepens I smile and buy higher heels.
Your a$s must be jealous of the sh!t that comes out of your mouth.