Front End Supervisor

I think my dad came to visit you, lol.

Ha Ha Ha
Old 05-21-2019, 08:01 AM
Area Manager

Default Ha Ha Ha

Quote:
Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
See shit like this is why I got my technotarded mom a remote where she can hold just one button down and speak what she wants into it. That way I don’t have to hear her yelling for me across the house when I just got comfortable “How do I get channel -blank-?” “How do I change the channel?” “What does this button do?” Its great because you don’t have to be precise in how you word things either. I can say “guide” “channels” or “change the channel” “play -blank- channel”. I have even set voice commands into it so when the technotards (looking at you mom) say something like “gimmie flippy channel screen” it will bring up the guide since apparently one syllable words are to hard to remember for one who grew up on a typewriter.
You think voice command will always solve the problem? DREAM ON.

We had on OnStar with voice command in the car. It would work 95% of the time for me all the time. I just asked for a function, and it would work.

Then my mom would try. And it would fail almost every time. The moment she started to talk to the machine she would stress out and her voice tone would go up and down in just one sentence. She would stutter and repeat words, in other words saying a simple sentence became torture to listen to, and what is worse she would insist she was doing nothing different even as you hear how much she was messing up her words.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Cashier

This used to be a huge problem for guests, I had a laminated "how to watch TV" set of instructions. The smarter and more advanced degrees the guest had, the lower likelihood they could figure out the remotes (plural). I tried a universal remote, didn't help. Never solved the problem.

Nowadays I give them the passcode to the house wifi and they watch their stuff on their phone or laptop. Problem solved.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Other side of the m0dem

I'm so glad I'm not technoretarded. I am the IT person in my house. I've even got it setup now so I can beam my phone to a number of Bluetooth devices in the house and the car.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 AM
Old tech nerd, aka Dr. Optigan

I bet this is the sort of remote the guy in the OP is used to:

AKA a *real* "clicker"

Old 05-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

My grandpa had a two-button remote that looked a bit like that. One button went up one channel at a time; the other raised the volume (one step at a time to maximum, wrapping around to minimum). The remote function was actually sound-activated; each button would hit a rod with a spring-loaded striker and it would make a noise that we mostly couldn't hear but the TV could.

They also had a phone with a regular bell-style ringer. When the phone rang, the TV would change channels three or four times...

Old 05-23-2019, 04:37 AM
Old tech nerd, aka Dr. Optigan

Quote:
Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
My grandpa had a two-button remote that looked a bit like that. One button went up one channel at a time; the other raised the volume (one step at a time to maximum, wrapping around to minimum). The remote function was actually sound-activated; each button would hit a rod with a spring-loaded striker and it would make a noise that we mostly couldn't hear but the TV could.

They also had a phone with a regular bell-style ringer. When the phone rang, the TV would change channels three or four times...
Yep, early remote controls were like that. Zenith invented ultrasonic remote control technology as "Space Command" in the late '50s; here's the TV (circa early 1970s) which the above-pictured remote controlled:

It wasn't just phone ringers which would set them off; jingling keys, dog collar tags, pretty much anything involving pieces of metal banging together. Of course, it was still better than its predecessor, "Flash-Matic", which used a series of photo-sensors activated using a glorified flashlight like this one:

While it technically worked, users tended to forget which sensor controlled which function, and if the set happened to be bathed in sunlight or other bright light, all four sensors would be operated at once multiple times over.........
-Adam
Arcane tech historian

Old 05-23-2019, 11:19 PM
Till/horse trainer/instructor

Omg the nostalgia there. That was the tv my grandparents had and whenever we tried to pull the ‘one more minute’ thing as kids are wont to do he would make the channels go all flippy. I never did figure out as a kid how he could do that. I also remember having a case full of those old old games where you had to blow on the cartridge and put it in. Back when controllers only had the start/select buttons, the A and B buttons, and the plus pad.

Believe it or not that was an upgrade from the tv they used to have. An old black and white monstrosity that was huge but the actual screen itself was small. A real POS and this was at a time where there were flatscreens available. But gramps was of the opinion that if it weren’t broke don’t fix it. Until his old black and white needed fixing and we got all excited he would move into the modern century... the. He brought that monstrosity up from the basement. Apparently he’d purchased a colour tv at some point and just never bothered to hook it up. It broke our little modern day hearts. I’m pretty sure it still played duck hunt though, and bubble trouble. That was my game back in the day. God I feel old.

Giving a fu(k doesn’t really go with my outfit.

As the sh!t deepens I smile and buy higher heels.
Your a$s must be jealous of the sh!t that comes out of your mouth.

Last edited by AkaiKitsune; 05-26-2019 at 05:46 AM.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:34 PM
Other side of the m0dem

Hah I grew up with a black and white tv my whole entire childhood. I didn't even know shows were in color at first! My mother didn't do color tv and she didn't do cable. She also didn't do microwaves ....she was screwed in the head.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
Hah I grew up with a black and white tv my whole entire childhood. I didn't even know shows were in color at first!
Yup, I grew up watching Batman and Star Trek in black-and-white. Took me a while to "get" red-shirt jokes... Mom did have microwaves, though.