Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:55 PM
Front End Supervisor

yeah, I'm... not comfortable with "this person is annoying therefore I will slow down to punish them". Do annoying people deserve to get karmic wedgies? Yes. Should you appoint yourself karma's agent? I don't think so.

I mean, sure, if they don't have all the paperwork in order, make them get it! If they're actually abusive and you're allowed to refuse service (which I gather you are), refuse away! (I loved your post about the guy who self-pwned by messing up his own food stamps and then throwing his card at you.) Definitely don't give assholes help above and beyond what you have to by the rules of your job (and definitely do help the nice-but-confused)! But it's a short distance from "this person is an asshole so I will deliberately slow down to piss them off" to "this person belongs to a group I disapprove of so I will mess with their benefits."

Please note that I am not saying you would ever do that. I believe that you are a decent person. But there are two reasons why I think you shouldn't slow down annoying people's paperwork.

First, a coworker who isn't a decent person could look at you and think, "Everyone knows SttP slows down when she's processing a client she doesn't like, and everyone still loves her. I can totally mess with this gay couple's benefits and get away with it."

Second, if an annoying client ever works out what you're doing and complains, and the complaint is upheld, you'll get in trouble and it could call into question the validity of any and all cases you've denied. You could end up in a situation where any client you've denied benefits (for perfectly good reasons!) who belongs to a marginalised group or just wants to make a fuss could get their case re-opened so the powers that be can check to make sure you didn't break any rules, and talk about wasted time and resources...

Old 06-10-2019, 03:51 AM
Cashier

Quote:
Quoth Valentinian View Post
yeah, I'm... not comfortable with "this person is annoying therefore I will slow down to punish them". Do annoying people deserve to get karmic wedgies? Yes. Should you appoint yourself karma's agent? I don't think so.

Please note that I am not saying you would ever do that. I believe that you are a decent person. But there are two reasons why I think you shouldn't slow down annoying people's paperwork.

First, a coworker who isn't a decent person could look at you and think, "Everyone knows SttP slows down when she's processing a client she doesn't like, and everyone still loves her. I can totally mess with this gay couple's benefits and get away with it."

Second, if an annoying client ever works out what you're doing and complains, and the complaint is upheld, you'll get in trouble and it could call into question the validity of any and all cases you've denied. You could end up in a situation where any client you've denied benefits (for perfectly good reasons!) who belongs to a marginalized group or just wants to make a fuss could get their case re-opened so the powers that be can check to make sure you didn't break any rules, and talk about wasted time and resources...
Did Slave to the phone say anything about what "group" this client might belong to? Did she state that "otherness" was the reason for her slowing down? Do even know that Slave to the Phone is not part of the same "group" as the client? Did Slave to the Phone say anything about Denying this person's application?

As a former state government employee, I can tell you that your second scenario is not going to happen, based on one client's complaint, or even a dozen such complaints, unless it can be proved that the worker does this to one particular "marginalized" group and only that group. Unlike retail where the managers just give the sucky customers what they want, there is a process with the government, where you have to PROVE you were delayed or denied based on whatever. Unlike being able to call the c store cashier a bigot and get away with it, with the government you need to prove it.

Personally, I don't know which is more disturbing to me, your implications that Slave to the Phone is being a bigot, or your seeming to think that the only people who are on food stamps, or other benefits are members of. "marginalized groups" I can promise you, the same individual who gives the caseworker a hard time, because they are too special to wait, is the same individual who is standing the C store cussing because they didn't get to jump the line to get their smokes. Or claiming the pizza delivery man mess up their order on purpose because he's a hater. And I mean that literally, sometimes it's the same person -- would give me a fit because I would send them away for not having all their paperwork for the application at noon, and later they would give my husband a fit when the pizza he delivered had pepperoni instead of sausage. Must be because we are haters and bigotted against their "group".

The name of the group is Customer's suck -- no matter if they are called clients or customers, they can all be sucky.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 AM
Front End Supervisor

I specifically said that I didn't believe SttP would ever do that. I said that other people could use her actions as an excuse for their own, or misinterpret her actions as being bigoted if an "annoying" client also happened to belong to a marginalised group. I certainly didn't say that food stamps automatically equalled marginalised people, either; I have no idea how you got that from what I actually wrote. Please don't accuse me of saying something I was very careful not to!

I'm a former Australian federal government employee and I can tell you right now that not only is it important to be doing the right thing, it is important to be obviously doing the right thing. I did both financial and security duties and had to take two lots of ethics training that emphasised that we had to make sure our legitimate actions couldn't be misinterpreted as somehow unethical. And yes, I got to personally witness a situation with somebody who was very definitely sucky, who met every situation that didn't go exactly his way with accusations of racism and discrimination, and yes his accusations did get investigated, because he knew who to complain to and what buzzwords to use. I was very very relieved that I had dotted every I and crossed every T in my interactions with him, and that I had not given into temptation and messed with him in any way.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

This is all getting to be a bit much. Take it to Fratching -- especially the part about personal and/or business criticism of OP's actions. As always, we don't care about "who started it" quite as much as "who saw it and decided to make things worse."

Thread closed.
"Customers are like van gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit
"Logic: sometimes it's not a thing." - Food Lady

Last edited by EricKei; 06-10-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Closed Thread