This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this illegal?

Not even been on the phones for a week and we already have stories, heh.

Simple one. Lady calls in, and explains to me that she lives in an apartment, has our satellite service. Says that she has an additional receiver which she had installed in the apartment next to her for her neighbor, and also says that our installers did it. Neighbor moved away, so they collected the equipment from him, but put it back into the apartment next door because someone else moved into it. Oh yeah, both times they have been 'splitting the bill' with said neighbors.

"Um, all I'm really wanting to know is, is this illegal?"

Me: "I hate to be the one to inform you of this, but yes, that is, in fact, illegal. I can only suggest that you get that disconnected as soon as possible."

SC: "Oh. . . well I hate to leave him without service with Christmas and all coming up, there's no way I can? . . . oh well. What kind of trouble would I get into?"

I then explained that she could be everything from arrested to sued. She thanked me and hung up, but I had the worst time not laughing during that call.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Sounds like the call I had with a lady living in Manhatten. She was stealing a wireless internet signal from a neighbor.... she didn't know who it was, but she knew full well that it wasn't exactly ethical. Here's an advert for at least WEP security
    At least Adam and Steve don't have to worry about leaving the toilet seat up

Comment

I got a few calls I had to refund because of that. Wanted help with troubleshooting their internet, when I asked them to head over to where their modem and router is they would go, "That's gonna be kinda hard as I'm using someone else's router."

We cannot troubleshoot this and I inform them that there are reports that the US might be outlawing this so it's better in the long run to buy your own modem and router and shell out the monthly fee (it's the same as stealing cable, IMO). One women accused me of calling her a thief. Well if the shoe fits....

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
        I inform them that there are reports that the US might be outlawing
        Florida has already made connecting to someone's wireless router without permission, illegal and an arrestable act.
        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth anode_probe View Post
          She was stealing a wireless internet signal from a neighbor.... she didn't know who it was, but she knew full well that it wasn't exactly ethical.
          I had a guy call, upset that his neighbor's wireless signal was "weak" in his opinion & he wanted to set up his own for that reason. *sigh*
          The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
            Florida has already made connecting to someone's wireless router without permission, illegal and an arrestable act.
            That's going to be an interesting law to enforce as i'm authorized anytime i connect to an unsecured wi fi connection.

We need more legislation that is headed in this direction

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060421-6647.html

How about instead of only businesses we require everyone to secure there connection?

And NOT in this direction

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/St...a_new_br.shtml

Be responsible for your own wi fi connection!
            Lostmymind

Comment

Quoth ODZ View Post
              That's going to be an interesting law to enforce as i'm authorized anytime i connect to an unsecured wi fi connection.
              Protocol handshaking authorization is not legal permission. That like saying I was given permission to take that car because the car door open for me.

Florida pass that law to have something with teeth. There was a problem with drive-by-hackers, trying to steal information.

Quoth ODZ View Post
              Be responsible for your own wi fi connection!
              Lostmymind
              Be responsible for your own ethics!
              ODZ

Comment

just call the neighbor on your cell, and whisper
                "i want you to go for the extra "s" in wep, youve needed it awhile and if it could be done soon that would be great"

Comment

My home network is secured down. I tell all my friends, relatives, etc, to do the same. However, I recently visited one of these friends and found that he had not secured it. I thought I'd have some fun with him and scanned the whole net, found his PC, his laptops, his set-top box, everything. Later, I informed of of all the devices I found and asked him if he'd like meto secure it down for him, to which he was very happy to have me do since he only owned one laptop, not two. Seems his neighbours were online when I probed! I should have scanned the traffic, watched where they were browsing to, etc. That would have been fun.

Same guy came to visit me and wanted to use my wireless. He couldn't understand how to get the keys entered and the ssid set manually so he went without it until I got back from work. He's part of the reason my wife brags about how secure we are. LOL
                  Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Quoth anode_probe View Post
                    Sounds like the call I had with a lady living in Manhatten. She was stealing a wireless internet signal from a neighbor.... she didn't know who it was, but she knew full well that it wasn't exactly ethical. Here's an advert for at least WEP security
                    WEP -- meh. Go for at least WPA. That's what I'm doing -- that PLUS MAC address (only allow) filtering. If I didn't say your network card COULD connect, then you CAN'T!

Also do NOT transmit SSID, change passwords, etc. (This advice for those on the board who don't understand what we are talking about.)

And if I need any war-driving done, I'll ask my boss. If SHE can't get in, no one can! (Yeah, she's that good a hacker!)
                    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Bah, MAC address filtering is all you need. Most drive by hackers don't spend that kind of time on a blocked firewall. They'll just go down the street a little more.

Comment

You can fake Mac Addresses easily all you have to do is watch the traffic to get an allowed address then set your card to use it.

Here is a good link explaining it http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm#11 Episode 11 You also get explanations of Wep and WPA encryption
                        Last edited by dougall; 01-11-2007, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                          "Um, all I'm really wanting to know is, is this illegal?"
                          What's the point of asking, lady? No matter what answer you get, you'll keep doing it anyway.
                          "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
                          -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

I seem to be picking up several home networks within range when I have my laptop in the living room.

Two of them are secured, the other one isn't. All of them come in as very low or low signal.

Luckily since we switched back to DSL (as of yesterday afternoon) our home network is secured. The WEP is required to connect to the network (which was all I had to enter on the laptop and she was up and running.)

Yet when we had the cable ISP, the tech that did our install didn't secure our network.

Which is why I think I'd rather install stuff myself . . . I don't have to blame anyone else if something goes wrong.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

So... can anyone explain how come I suddenly started hearing the radio conversation between two snowplow operators through my computer headphones the other night? I wasn't online, and it was really freaky! LOL
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X