Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I know the left lane is the "fast lane" on the highway, but I guess I'm not sure when the person in front of me on the right is going slow enough to warrant me getting into the left lane. I realize I should leave more space between my car and the car of the person in front of me on the highway than on a normal road. I know about getting the hell out of the way when passing a truck too because of their blind spots.

I know I have no issue driving the speed limit on a highway - hell, when I'm driving alone on the really long road near my house, sometimes I don't realize how fast I'm going and realize I'm going almost 20 over the speed limit! I slow down immediately, but just saying that 50-60 does not feel like 50-60 when the road has no turns or curves.

Confidence is...hard for me to fake because I have none for real. Basically, I just do what I'm expected to do and hope it's correct. I feel good when I get told I've done stuff right, but that's about it. I definitely fluffed myself up on my resume a bit, but that didn't mean any of it was untrue.

Comment

Expect your first assignments to be 'fill in the blanks' sorts of work.
      The <insert suburb> Junior League <insert sport> team played against <insert team> on <insert date>. <Insert player> performed spectacularly by <insert good thing - hitting a home run or whatever> and was given <insert accolade>.
      <insert team> won with <insert score>.

Read several issues of the paper, looking specifically for the 'fill in the blanks' types of news, and see what variations in text this particular paper uses to keep it from being totally obvious. And also, what information you'll need to bring home from an assignment to a local sporting match/charity event/etc. to fill the blanks in with.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Today was amusing...my mother was asking me about the writing assignment I was given as part of my interview. Honestly, the information given to me by the editor stands pretty well on its own - to the point where I don't see what else I need to add to it. Basically it's just, "On (date), (person) did (thing) at (time). They called 911 and (crews) arrived at (time) to do (thing). (Person) got out of (situation) safely according to (chief of something)." There's more, but you get the idea.

I'm not sure WTF to add to this, and my mother has been screaming at me that I need to make up names and companies to add, and she fails to understand that if I were writing this for the paper itself, I would not be able to just BS my way through it. When she starts her bitching, I get indifferent, to which she enters her, "I been working since I was 16 and you ain't gonna be sittin' on yer ass forever" tirade because I refuse to agree with her.

Because, you know, she knows everything about everything and if I don't agree with her one hundred percent or do what she wants when she wants me to do it, I'm an idiot.

I'll try and contact the guy who sent me this info to write about since I'm just not sure what I need to do. I hope I don't sound too incompetent by asking...I really just haven't a clue what to do.

Comment

It sounds like they just want you to rephrase it in 1-2 short-paragraph form (presumably using AP style, but I doubt they would expect you to be familiar with that at this stage).

Something like: "In (general locale) today, Mr (name) was (doing something) in (specific location) and ended up in a bit of a bind as a result. He was trying to (___), but ended up (in (potentially dangerous) situation). The police were called, and (units/firemen/ambulance) arrived on-scene (in just a few minutes/eventually) to render assistance. After (amount of time), the (emergency workers) were able to help him out (etc). He was checked for injuries at the scene and released."

The best advice I can give you is to look at your local newspaper -- grab today's issue (the paper you're interviewing with if at all possible) and read through a bunch of their shorter articles to get a feel for their preferred style. They just want to get a basic feel for how you write -- If you get the job, they will waste no time in bringing you up to speed

The simple fact that they *asked* you for a sample indicates that they certainly believe you can come up with something better than that ^_^ After all, they could have used the classic death knell of "don't call us, we'll call you" -- i don't think they would have asked if they weren't interested in you...But this should give you a very basic idea. Expand what was said in the data dump they handed you. Don't add suppositions or anything, but you can certainly make reasonable assumptions such as "he went home afterwards without further incident", or "the (emergency workers) helped to clear the scene/correct the issue that caused him to need help in the first place", yada yada yada

As for distance when driving: you are absolutely correct. I'm sure others can mention something more specific (yes, I'm looking for elaboration here if anyone has more realistic numbers), but, in general:

No matter where you are, if you can't see their entire license plate, you're probably tailgating ^_^

Residential (20-35mph) streets: At least a car length between when possible. At least, far enough that you can see some "street" between you and them/see the bottoms of their tires.

Highway: Double that or better if possible. You should be far enough back that you can see the other cars next to them through your windshield. Naturally, faster speeds = longer distances, tho you won't always be given that choice...And that's why practice is essential.

It will take time to figure it out, but you will with practice. The "emergency stopping distance" increases exponentially with higher speeds. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I wanna say 50 to zero when slamming on the brakes is...two hundred feet (the length of 16 large cars end to end) on a clean, dry road with brakes in excellent condition and split-second reaction time? If you're lucky?
          Last edited by EricKei; 08-13-2011, 11:16 PM. Reason: expansion
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            No matter where you are, if you can't see their entire license plate, you're probably tailgating ^_^

Residential (20-35mph) streets: At least a car length between when possible. At least, far enough that you can see some "street" between you and them/see the bottoms of their tires.

Highway: Double that or better if possible. You should be far enough back that you can see the other cars next to them through your windshield. Naturally, faster speeds = longer distances, tho you won't always be given that choice...And that's why practice is essential.
            I was told to keep at least two seconds behind. Watch a lamppost or another landmark, when it pass the car in front, count the seconds until you reach it. You will soon be able to estimate the correct distance at most normal speeds.

Comment

Really? I was always told at least four seconds. I do use that little measuring trick a lot when I drive already. And usually I try to make sure I can still see the back tires of whoever is in front of me when I come to a stop behind someone.

That's when I'm driving alone, I mean. When my mother is in the car, she's screaming at me to fully stop at least a full car length behind whoever is in front of me, or screaming at me to start slowing down a block away from a stop sign. I'm amazed no one has gotten out of their car to beat the shit out of me yet when my mother makes me drive her way.

If the newspaper doesn't get back to me by tonight (since I know the editor is usually there until around 9 Sunday nights), I'll just wing it and write whatever I think the man meant.

Comment

Well, I don't think work driving is of any concern to me now since I do believe me mother just ensured I will not get hired.

I say this because I mentioned emailing the man who interviewed me to clarify the assignment I had to do. I gave him a call too since sometimes my email is moody and doesn't send.

Well, my mother decided she'd drive down to the office (which is closed to the public on Sunday) and bang on the doors to see if anyone was there. The guy who I'm writing for answered and let her call me from the office to tell me what he said, and then she put him on the phone to say it to me again.

So yeah, I can only imagine what this place thinks of me now. "Oh, she's gotta send her mommy here to take care of her business. We don't need someone like that."

Sucks because I kinda of wanted this job, but of course, my mother has to shit on everything potentially good that happens in my life by not respecting any boundaries whatsoever. I don't even want to send the damn article now because I'm so ashamed of what she went and did. Then my mother wonders why no one will hire me, between the grad school SHE makes me attend and her making every single aspect of my business HER business.

Comment

Massive fail on your mom's part. I wish you luck regardless.
                  Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                  Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                    Massive fail on your mom's part. I wish you luck regardless.
                    Aye. Send it anyway and call him again as soon as you physically are able -- preferably from as far away as you can from Mom...Just tell him that you had no idea she was going to do that/that you're embarrassed about it, apologize on her behalf, and tell him that that you really want a chance to get this job. You won't have to pretend to be upset about it, either, as he'll likely hear it in your voice. If you show her the article at all, don't do it until after you've sent it and spoken with him.

I'm still mystified as to WHY she went down there, what good could that possibly accomplish? o_O
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

(warning: long-winded reply ahead)

I think my mother sees me as an extension of herself rather than a separate individual, which is why she not only lives vicariously through me, but also makes every single aspect of my business her business. She has never respected any boundaries I may have had...never knocked on my door before barging in, snooping in my room (finding my journal), putting her ear against my door when I'm mad to make sure I'm not bad-mouthing her in any way, leafing through the trash to make sure there are tampon wrappers in there when she thinks I should have my period. I could go on and on.

Everything I say or do will be judged by her. I can't wear certain things sometimes. If I go to the hospital for anything, she'll tell me what I cannot wear because "people I know work there and they'll know you're my daughter and wonder what kind of mother raised her to wear that." (she works at the hospital) And I don't mean like dressing in a revealing way or anything - we argued for 20 minutes one day because I wanted to wear a bandanna to a dentist appointment and she felt it made me look like a slob.

Basically, she seems to feel my life is her life. She has never ever let me make my own mistakes, and if she feels I am being too apathetic about something, she will go and try to deal with it herself. If I do what she agrees with, she's happy and jolly. If I don't, she verbally beats me down until I break and agree. That's how she's always been. This is why I can't even get therapy to try and deal with her - I'd be coming right back to the source of my problems and undoing all progress. This is why sometimes I feel my only outlet is reaching out to others online.

I know I have to get away from her. Trust me, everyone tells me so. It's just the way she behaves that sabotages absolutely any progress I try and make and I don't even think she's trying to ruin everything. Maybe she does certain things out of love, but I think she has become so misguided and insane that she's become obsessive and controlling.

I do try and tell her only what she must know, but the shitty part is she sometimes finds out the truth on her own anyway and then bitches at me for lying. Hey, I've been lying to her since I was 7 to get out of trouble and I'm sure not going to stop now.

Anyway, when I sent my little homework assignment to the office, I included a note saying I was sorry for my mother's dumbass behavior and that I did not sic her on them - that she chose all by herself to go. The best part? Mom yelled at me when she got home that I made a fool out of her.

Comment

Driving: It's actually called the Three Second Rule, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with making it four.

Your Mom: You're right, anyone trying to hire you is going to cross you off the list if your mommy shows up doing stunts like that. That is probably exactly what she wants, if it's a case of her wanting to keep you dependent on her.

Might be best if you don't tell her when you have job interviews.

Comment

Well here's the thing...I borrow her car, so she knows when I have to go to an interview. She won't let me go anywhere without her (or at all) if I just say I need to go to the store. I have to ask to use the car. And she feels the need to approve my outfit for interviews too.

I agree that she's a control freak, and I think it's because she feels she can't control anything else in her life. Can't control that she's piss-poor, can't control where her idiot partner goes or who he sees, not to mention an entire life where she couldn't control anything. So all that built-up need to control something comes out at me. Fuck, I can't even give away things of mine that I bought that I no longer want - if I have a bag of stuff to take to the thrift store, she has to open it and examine every item to make sure it's nothing a) she bought, or b) she wants.

And I won't even go into my mother's victim complex. Nothing is ever her fault. Nothing. If something bad happens, it's always someone else's fault and she's just a poor widdle misunderstood victim.

She's never wrong, either. She's right about everything, and even if she's proven wrong, she still sticks by what she says. Here's a fun one...her bitching at me for putting sugar in my coffee because she's making me diet. She tells me there's 50 calories in a spoonful of sugar, and I show her the nutrition facts on the sugar bag that say there are only 15 calories in a spoonful of sugar. She says the bag is lying. But she won't buy artificial sweetener because it causes cancer in lab rats.

It's very special in here. Believe it or not, it was more special when her idiot was here because he's a control freak/hoarder like she is, so often they'd argue over who was more right and such.

Here's what I don't get, though. If my mother wants to keep me helpless and dependent and live with her forever (which it really seems like she does), why does she bitch left and right at me to get a job? Surely a job would mean a step closer to independence? This is what perplexes me so much. If I were offered a job far from home that required me to move, she'd tell me I wasn't allowed to go. She's very confusing.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                            Driving: It's actually called the Three Second Rule, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with making it four.
                            I just looked it up:

There must be regional differences .
                            But as you say, there is nothing wrong with keeping more distance. It has to feel safe, especially in the beginning.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post

There must be regional differences .
                              Yeah, most likely. I got this:
                              http://www.driversedguru.com/driving...distance-rule/

Bottom line, I guess, is don't tailgate!

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                                Bottom line, I guess, is don't tailgate!
                                Yep , whatever the number is, the counting method is good because it lengthen the distance when the speed increases.

Comment

Working...
                                X