This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the market

Not sure where to put this, so this seemed as good a place as any.

As I've mentioned before, I work in a chain that has its head office in Sweden, and a separate subsidiary company in Norway. Let's call them AKA, for ease of use.

Now we were told last Wednesday that AKA Sweden had decided that AKA Norway had to make some major cuts, since the Norway branch has struggled for years, and the Sweden branch won't put up with it much longer. So the particular concept chain I work for, Maxi, has been put up for sale. 24 stores spread across the entire country.

I'm still in a bit of a shellshock over this, never believing it would go this far, even though I knew they were struggling. Corporate wants to sell all 24 stores to a single buyer, so right now the biggest speculation is who it could be. One of the other big ones? A smaller one with ambition? Foreign chain? By Norwegian standards we are pretty big supermarkets, so whoever it is has to think big.

Now we have been told that whoever it is will probably keep the staff to make the transition as smooth as possible and to avoid having to shut the place down for a long time which would cost them many customers. There's no guarantee of this, of course, just a 'very probably' from the people in the know.

Though depending on who the buyer is, I might just quit anyway. There are certain chains I wouldn't want to work for. One in particular.

So we'll see how things go. I'm still processing the whole thing. No matter what, I won't be an AKA employee for very much longer, and after nearly 10 years, it will be weird.

~Wulf

>_>
    Do you think you'll get fired, or reassigned? Or, maybe, promoted?
    Hope it goes smoothly.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Something similar happened to me. I worked for an outdoorsman supply company, who had numerous stores all over the US and into Canada. Word from on high came that nearly half the locations were being sold or liquidated, but that my particular store was safe. Less than a month later we were laid off.
      What's going on? Where are we going? And why are we in this hand-basket!?!

Comment

Working...
      X