This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I complain about this?

Not sure if this is the right place, but it's semi work related. Not my 9-5 but my side gig where I flip thrift store finds.

Hubs and I make the thrift store rounds at least once a week, and one in particular put us in a tough spot today. You see, thrift store A has a Nintendo behind the counter with ratty cables and a ratty game keeper with 5 games in it. They want 60 bucks for it, which is outrageous. If it was in clean condition with better games, MAYBE, but trust me, this system was worth no where near what they were asking. Normally after 2 weeks they mark an item down. We first saw it 3 weeks ago. Today was the third time we saw it, STILL not marked down. We decided to inquire about it, and that's where it got bad.

The girl at the counter said she didn't have the authority to mark it down and would call a manager over. We totally understand, this girl has helped us before so she called over a manager. The manager came over and basically wouldn't come over to us and relayed information to the girl, saying the number 35 on the box the Nintendo was sitting in meant it had only been put out this week. This is a complete lie. The item in the same box, with the same ratty cables, and same 5 games, has been sitting there minimum 3 weeks. The girl even told her she had seen it there for at least 2.

Another manager comes over and starts telling us there's no way this item has been sitting out for 3 weeks and had been put out earlier this week based solely on the fact that it had been marked "35" for week 35, he said he were lying. Um, well someone marked it wrong then because it HAS been there for 3 weeks, there's no mistaking it. This is the third time we've looked at it! We were pretty nice about things but as soon as he called us liars my husband got fed up and we left. It's not worth arguing over an overpriced Nintendo. If they want to wait another 2 weeks before marking it down that's fine, but they would have had cash today if they dropped it ON SCHEDULE. Their loss, not mine.

Sorry for the rant, I'm normally the one ranting about customers, never about being on the receiving end. Then again, I've never called any of my customers LIARS to their face.
    Midori = Green and DelSol= My beloved Honda

1. How was this 35 marked on the box, and do you remember seeing it when you first saw the Nintendo?

I ask this because next week I expect this thing to be sporting the number 36, and the managers to insist it was put out for sale just that week.

2. I have to admit if somebody accused me of not marking items down on our "normal" schedule, my back would be up. Then again, our markdowns come from the corporate office and are decided by our buyers. Not management. Outside of seasonal merchandise, there is no "normal" markdown schedule, and even then I'm not telling anybody when the next markdown is likely to drop. We exist to sell stuff for as much as we possibly can.

My guess is this thrift store really thinks they can get 60 beans for the nintendo and the games going with it, and aren't about to budge on the price. If you were sucky, it was only very mildly so. The manager was worse for calling you a liar.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I always noticed the numbers but never knew what they were. My husband says it was definitely 35 last week and the week before, so whoever is marking these things doesn't know what's up, or they're running some kind of con.

This week is technically week 34 if you look at a calender so that confuses things even more. We just wanted to see if they were going to mark the Nintendo down since it's just gathering dust at 60, and it had been sitting there long enough. Last time they had a Nintendo it was in similar shape, but had the original box (which was also in less then stellar condition) and they were asking 75! It came down in 2 weeks, still didn't sell, then came down in another 2 weeks and sold before we could get it. This store has a history of overpricing things, to which the counter girls always agree. Which is why if a markdown doesn't happen, we try to look into it. We're basically throwing our money at them.

Comment

They're thinking since you showed interest you will give in and pay the $60. Dumb of them, but then again...

Comment

MidoriDelSol - I may be able to help you. PM sent.
          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

What games come with the system? There's a good chance that some of them exist already on the Virtual Console unless you're dead set on playing games on the original system, or don't own a Wii.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Maybe it was supposed to be a week 33, or even 32, and someone has horrible handwriting? I've seen that happen enough at work.

Comment

It was a pretty clear 35, like not scratched out or anything, so someone just had no idea what number to put down and put the wrong one. In retrospect I remember other item behind the counter with the week number scratched out and another written in, like a 33 crossed out with 34. They're totally scamming. I only want the Nintendo to resell, and that store needed a reality check. The only good/profitable game that came with it was Bubble Bobble 1, the rest were commons.
                Last edited by MidoriDelSol; 08-26-2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  What games come with the system? There's a good chance that some of them exist already on the Virtual Console unless you're dead set on playing games on the original system, or don't own a Wii.
                  There are a fair number of games that aren't available on the virtual console that would be worth having the original console.

As avid classic game buyer myself, I can attest that some stores price old video games stuff WAY TOO HIGH. Back when I used to bargain hunt regularly, I learned which stores in town had the best prices on stuff and stuck to them.

As an example, I once got copies of Super Mario Kart and Super Metroid for $4 each.

A pawn shop not far from my house wanted $25 for Super Metroid alone. This was not an original package with box and manual either, just a cartridge.

Also, another shop I frequented I became friendly with the owner which had two advantages:

1) He'd cut prices for me regularly
                  2) He let me know when new stuff came in that might interest me.

I got a lot of great stuff from that shop. But that ended when I moved away a few years ago.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

We want to have our own used game store one day, one with FAIR prices! We already operate on razor thin margins because we like giving people a good deal. The thrift stores have gotten wise to the game resellers and have started marking game systems up over what they should be. The Goodwills around me are still pretty fair, 10 bucks for a complete Nintendo 64 with expansion, 5 for a complete Genesis. Not always but those are some recent purchases, and they definitely leave meat on the bones for resellers.

Comment

Quoth MidoriDelSol View Post
                      5 for a complete Genesis.
                      If you can find it, the Shadowrun game for the Genesis is a great, underappreciated gem. I still pop my copy in when the classic gaming mood strikes.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I saw a Compaq computer tower at Salvation Army for 125$ for a machine that was at least 8-years old. The BF and I let the manager who does pricing know that even for parts, if they worked, the machine wasn't worth more than $25.

Yet, a almost brand new men's MT Bike? $25

"If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                        X