This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How embarrassing...

While working in an airport retail store, I saw a huge amount of people in a day. This particular store received a lot of younger clientele, since we mostly sold toys, videos, games, etc. Now, I pride myself on my ability to talk to and interact with even the shyest kids, and I have very rarely had a bad encounter with them. This one incident left me horribly embarrassed, though...

I had a mother and her child (who looked to be about 8 or 9) come to my register. I greeted them, and began some small talk while I rang up their items. At one point in the conversation, I noticed that the little girl wasn't talking, so I figured she might just be shy. Normally, you can guide kids into a conversation by complimenting something they own or are wearing, since kids are more likely to talk about something important to them.

So I turn to the girl and say, "I love your outfit. You look very pretty!"

The "girl" then looks straight at me and says, "I'm NOT a girl!"

OH SHI-!

Before I can stumble out an apology, the kid looks at his mom and says (in a VERY agitated voice), "I TOLD you this haircut made me look like a girl!"

And indeed it did. Even though he was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, he could have easily passed for a tomboy. Considering how fast he came up with that haircut comment, I'm guessing I wasn't the first person to address him as a girl.

Whoops.

oops. At least it was mom's fault. thank you for proving the kid's point!
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I've made the same mistake, but the other way around. Had a very tom-boyish girl with her hair pulled back and I innocently made some comment about how "he" must enjoy whatever doohickey they were buying. The father looked very indignant as he declared his child was a she. I apologized profusely and was horribly embarrassed.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

That kids has a way to go to catch up with me.

BTW, you have my permission to call me a girl if you want. everybody else does.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My niece is mistaken for a boy often. However, she WANTS it that way. She's a tomboy and hates anything "girly."
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

That is an embarrassing thing to happen, but if you look at it from another viewpoint, you may have made the kid's day and unintentionally siding with him. He got mad that the haircut his mom had chosen for him made him look like a girl. He, not wanting it, then proved his point by you mistaking him for a girl. Hopefully the kid's mom took him back to get the hair styled differently.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              BTW, you have my permission to call me a girl if you want. everybody else does.
              Pictures? What? I'm curious.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                Pictures? What? I'm curious.
                Irv, not the moon shot this time, please.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I was mistaken for a girl by a CSR (who really couldn't see much more than my head over her counter) once, when I was about eight, with nearly shoulder-length bright blonde hair --- it was an understandable mistake and I just let it slide
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Having a very "girlish" haircut is the very reason Moe Howard of "The Three Stooges" looked the way he did as an adult.

I was once mistaken for a girl as an adult due to a ponytail and being crouched down, facing away from the customer at that time. Quite the shock when I stood up straight.
                    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Reminds me a little of a kid whose family used to be regular visitors to the library - the siblings were obviously girls, but we (the library staff) were never sure what gender "It" was......let's just say he/she was kind of androgynous-looking, and that did NOT change over the years. (this family came into the library on and off for a period of time)

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                        Reminds me a little of a kid whose family used to be regular visitors to the library - the siblings were obviously girls, but we (the library staff) were never sure what gender "It" was......let's just say he/she was kind of androgynous-looking, and that did NOT change over the years. (this family came into the library on and off for a period of time)

Not to take this into Fratching territory, but did you seriously just refer to a child as an "it"?

Comment

Quoth Cai1987 View Post

Not to take this into Fratching territory, but did you seriously just refer to a child as an "it"?
                          My bad......that was NOT meant as a derogatory term for a child....at the time I'd made that post, I was having trouble figuring out how to describe them.

Comment

Quoth Cai1987 View Post

Heh, I was just reminded of a conversation from one of my speech classes. Even though saying "it" is a perfectly acceptable way to describe something (person, place, thing, etc) people don't like to do so when referring to people. (Which is why people will call a baby a boy or a girl, even if they're not sure.)

Assigning a gender to a child was what got me into an embarrassing situation in the first place. D: Sometimes you just can't win.

Comment

Quoth Cai1987 View Post

Ah, but you just did. If you're offended by a post, that's what the report button is for.

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                              My bad......that was NOT meant as a derogatory term for a child....at the time I'd made that post, I was having trouble figuring out how to describe them.
                              You don't need to apologize or explain yourself.

Seriously people. This is why we ask that you NOT reply within the threads.

It's not that hard.
                              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                              X