This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a washer or just move?

It seems a silly question but it will make sense.

I am kind of sick of this complex due to noise (why do they have to mow the same patch of grass 4 times in a row??) and drunkenness and probably drug activity. But the rent is cheap enough ($600) that I can survive wage garnishments on the couple of debts they can do without hurting. At least I can call the cops on troublemakers but I can't do anything about the guy mowing the lawn for hours on end.

Anyway, the other drawback is laundry. I live upstairs for security and the laundry room is across the parking lot so when I have larger items like towels I have to go over there. I can do it now but in winter it's dangerous. Add to that my spine which has degenerated in the 10 years I've lived here. Carrying all that is hard and sometimes I have problems with my legs/feet. Not to mention Blondie and the mentally ill lady across the way need to catalog half the stuff I do. I'd rather do laundry in my apartment. I can. I found out people have portable washers and management is fine with that. I found one for $150.00 used, free shipping. I already have a spin dryer for almost the same price used and it works like a charm. I don't mind used, is what I'm saying. I have been hand washing and using the spinner but a basin will only hold so much and I always get water just EVERYWHERE. An automatically filled and drained machine would be nice.

Here's the problem: it's heavy. It's 38 lbs and I can only lift maybe 15. I could sort of rock walk it into the dining room and all and lay it down to get it out of the box (though you shouldn't lay it down). I'd be in pain but it wouldn't be impossible. I'd have to get a dolly for it but how would I get it onto the dolly? I know that's a solvable problem but it just feels daunting because I have chest pain right now and that just colors my view of things. (Don't worry, it's not my heart, just spasms in the muscles that surround my spine right there.)

OK, so it's doable, I guess. But sometimes I think I should just move to a place with a washer and dryer. Some have dish washers, too. I'm not a huge fan of those but they are nice to use once in a while. Plus, giant drying rack! I know I can find one for around $750, $775. I technically can afford that now that I'm doing better financially even despite the garnishment (because frankly, I'm overpaid--don't tell my company). If I stay here I can give to charity like I've wanted to for 10 years and wasn't able to. If I move I can't. That hurts my (figurative) heart. I could get a weekend job, though. What would be the point of moving to a nicer complex, though? I'd never be there. But at least I'd be able to work a second job because household stuff would take less time.

So I guess my choices are:

1. Stay here and adapt this old building to my physical needs via added appliances in order to save money on rent and keep my weekends free, call the cops on neighbors, and deal with the street noise (on a busy street people use to avoid the main drag).

2. Move to a nicer place with appliances included (and some I saw with heat included) and never be there because I would need a second job which I may or may not be able to physically do because it would likely be a standing job.

I will say this: now that I have a car again if the mowing or neighbors are bothering me I can freely leave and go out for coffee or something to get away from it. I can afford it because my rent is cheap.

If my net income wasn't so pitifully small in comparison to my gross income I could rent a house with a landlord who isn't so strict on requirements. My coworker's landlord didn't even check their credit because he's a good judge of people. They have never stiffed him rent so he's been blessed for giving people a chance. There are still some good people like that who rent houses to others.

Oh, and here is the $150 washer (difference between my rent and the higher ones that I'd spend once instead of every month): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Automa....c100677.m4598

ETA: Third option--move to a quieter neighborhood in a smaller plex, like one with 4 or 6 apartments or something and pay the same rent *and* buy the washer and bring with, if they are OK with it. I have been apartment hunting today and have emailed some potential landlords. Air conditioning is a deal breaker so we'll see.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 05-22-2018, 05:53 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

In descending order:
    Option 3
    Option 1
    Option 2
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

What would be the point of moving to a nicer complex, though? I'd never be there
      But you would. This is hyperbole. I know what you mean, but think about it. You'd be sleeping there, and spending at least part of your occasional days off there, and if there are no drug dealers, no morons with cranked-up stereos, and no nosy-ass twits watching your every move, then you'd actually ENJOY being there.

Why should your life only be about practicality? Sure you have to be careful with your money, but isn't peace of mind, and a more restful overall experience while you ARE home, worth it? Aren't YOU worth it? (Spoiler: You are).
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
      X