Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demon-haunted computer (also, self-sighting)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Keyboard Found
    Press F1 to continue
    Otaku

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
      No Keyboard Found
      Press F1 to continue
      yup. that has to be the silliest error message going.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        yup. that has to be the silliest error message going.
        I thought so too, until you think about it. If there is a keyboard attached, you know there is a problem with the compy recognizing the keyboard. If you hit F1 and it takes, no problem. If it doesn't you have a couple of things to check. If there isn't a keyboard attached, you can (usually) plug one in and tap F1 to let the compy know that you're ready to move on. Not worded the best way, perhaps, but useful.

I'm still amused by the time I got a message, "CD-ROM speed detected faster than possible." If it wasn't possible, why detect for it? It was right after the 52x drives came out. My old drive had died, and I grabbed one for a replacement.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          I'm still amused by the time I got a message, "CD-ROM speed detected faster than possible." If it wasn't possible, why detect for it? It was right after the 52x drives came out. My old drive had died, and I grabbed one for a replacement.
          Great Scots, your highness, don't you know if you spin a cd that fast it'll shatter into a million pieces? The king of the geeks shouldst not be risking his life like that!
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
            Great Scots, your highness, don't you know if you spin a cd that fast it'll shatter into a million pieces? The king of the geeks shouldst not be risking his life like that!
            But...but...the pieces that come flying out are soooo SHINEY
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

:: dies laughing... from the flying CD shards ::
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

i did an upgrade in may with these: core2 duo e6850(2x3.0ghz), biostar TForce TF7100P-M7 and 2 1gb ddr2 800 sticks for just under $300. and the only extra thing i needed was a 24pin power supply. and on a side note, im able to play wow and listen to winamp simutaniously. but ive seen a couple of board/proc combos that would beat mine so its really up to you.
                This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                  :: dies laughing... from the flying CD shards ::
                  I've seen it happen before. Back working at EA we had a test build CD that literally exploded in the drive. It sent plastic shrapnel all over the cubicle. Luckily no one was hit in the eye, but we all got showered with plastic bits.

Comment

So I finally got all the parts from New Egg, gutted the old machine and rebuilt it, and it booted up first time, everything plugged in properly and running just fine.

I wiped the C drive, reinstalled XP, and now I have to download all eleventy billion patches and updates.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                      I wiped the C drive, reinstalled XP, and now I have to download all eleventy billion patches and updates.
                      Welcome to my world. Installing new machines and virus scanning/cleaning is a good portion of my job right now. And Ghost doesn't work on these machines for some reason*.

*the images always have errors in them. I've wasted about 30 CDs trying to get a good Ghost image. Can Ghost be haunted?
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

No, but the network cards may be.

(The biggest problem we've had with ghost was incompatible network cards)

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          *the images always have errors in them. I've wasted about 30 CDs trying to get a good Ghost image. Can Ghost be haunted?
                          For what it's worth, I've NEVER been able to get a good Ghost image by burning to CD. For the longest time, I had a set that Ghost said was good (I even had it verify the burn) only to find a few of the disks were bad when I tried to reload the system.

Eric the Grey
                          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Pics of the new rig!

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc254/hyndis/pics/

The new/rebuilt machine is on the left, the one on the right is an older thing, unfit for gaming.

Also, bonus kittehs!

Comment

Sniff, sniff.

JENNI WANT!

The computers are pretty nice too.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                                Pics of the new rig!

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc254/hyndis/pics/

Also, bonus kittehs!
                                Hey! That's the same case I went with on my current rig. Nice choice!

Cats are cute too. Mine (also black) would fit right in.
                                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                                X