Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I <3 Win 7. Natural evolution from XP for me. No idea where all your problems are coming from. Especially if you've been using Windows ME of all things, my lord. -.-

The Control Panel is oddly easier then XP's.

Search function works fine for me.

Libraries? Simply don't use them. Its not like they bug you if you don't use them. No water off your back.

Not sure how you ended up with two Documents...

No problems with the Start Menu. I can find everything.

Thunderbird? ( People use Outlook? >< ) And yeah, all of the odds and ends were packaged as Windows Live Essentials and can be downloaded through Windows Update. Remember MS was getting in trouble for prepackaging everything into one little monopoly so they had to shuffle off all their built in apps into an optional package so people had a "choice".

No probs with Snap here either, works fine.

What Broomjockey said about the Taskbar.

IE8 has the same shortcuts as 7, 6, 5, etc. Of course IE is also an abomination and always has been. Firefox ftw.

...yes you can apply folder settings to ALL folders. It was one of the first things I did and the window/interface to do so is identical to XP.

Icons is thumb-nailed view when dealing with media. You could also try Tiled. I've no problems with settings being remembered.

Change the log on sound, turn start up off, as someone said. Log on is basically the start up now anyhow.

Why is your user account not set as Administrator? I haven't gotten a single UAV message. Vista was such complete ass for that, that I'm surprised you'd be getting so many with Win 7 unless some severe restrictions were on your user login. I only get prompts when something tries to make major system changes ( ie installations ).

But yar, it's a new OS. It's not Win ME: Aeroglass Edition. However, everything is just as easy if not easier to do then XP, its weird you're having so many problems. I'd almost ask if it was Win 7 Starter or something but you seem to have Aeroglass. ;p

Granted I have Windows 7 Ultimate <3. The giga-nerd edition.
    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 01-11-2010, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      There's always Windows Live Mail, which I tried and didn't really care for. And any other email program, free or otherwise, should work just fine. I ended up switching back to Eudora myself.
      My brother just installed Windows Live Mail on his Windows 7 machine and he likes it pretty well . . .

Me, I'll just stick to Thunderbird, thanks. I just don't feel like I have the patience to learn another mail program these days . . .
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Sometimes it's the little, seemingly meaningless changes in a new OS that are the most aggravating. MacOS used to have a series of drop-down boxes in the Date & Time control panel to select a sound to play at each quarter hour, for instance. It's been gone since 10.0. X can *speak* the time, but it cannot be set to play sound files.

At least with the switch from Windows ME to 7 you don't have to switch back and forth between the two for years while they slowly get around to putting in all the stuff they left out that doesn't even work in Classic mode, like the ____ing DVD player.
        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Windows 7 is Windows Vista only less stupid

I like it.
          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
            Thunderbird? ( People use Outlook? >< ) And yeah, all of the odds and ends were packaged as Windows Live Essentials and can be downloaded through Windows Update. Remember MS was getting in trouble for prepackaging everything into one little monopoly so they had to shuffle off all their built in apps into an optional package so people had a "choice".
            I use Outlook Express, mostly because it's what's on my system (XP Pro) already, and I don't feel like installing anything extra. Though since my mail admin set it up to run through Gmail for additional spam filtering, and I got in the habit of using that over the summer while my computer was dead, I may just ask him to have it go to Gmail exclusively and cut out the stand-alone program, especially once I get around to installing Win7.

And with the apps being shuffled off to Windows Live Essentials, does this mean no more Windows Messenger getting in my way? (pleaseohpleaseohplease)
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I was having the same problem (not auth to pull files) when I installed W7 last nite.
              Was trying to pull stuff from an old C: drive of XP setup.

I had to get into Dos Admin mode, then type TAKEOWN /a /f :Letter of the old drive
              and it helped a lot.

Cutenoob
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                And with the apps being shuffled off to Windows Live Essentials, does this mean no more Windows Messenger getting in my way? (pleaseohpleaseohplease)
                No more Windows Annoyer.

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't add too much to this thread, since I've not used 7 very much. I've tested it since the later betas, but never used it exclusively.

I do however, like what I've seen so far. Liked it enough that I fully plan to install it on my own desktop.

I've upgraded my wife's computer to 7 and she hasn't had any problems at all adjusting from XP, but then, she's not an advanced user. Since I haven't done much on her desktop since I installed it, I haven't been able to really dig into the depths of the system.

I am however, in the process of doing my own upgrade, so wish me luck.

Eric the Grey
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

in all honesty i'll never get anything past xp
                    the horror stories of vista convinced me to go mac anyway, but i still keep my old xp desktop around for emergencies.

though right now i have linux (OpenSolaris) on the desktop instead of xp.

Comment

I've been drooling/crying (no $$ ) over a nice little refurb beast that, according to researching the spec sheet, seems tailor made for multi-booting. So with some tweaking, I can have the Mac OS for when my mother is here and needs to do "stuff", Win 7 for my Sims. , and Linux to try it, since I'm multi-curious.
                      Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
                        I've been drooling/crying (no $$ ) over a nice little refurb beast that, according to researching the spec sheet, seems tailor made for multi-booting. So with some tweaking, I can have the Mac OS for when my mother is here and needs to do "stuff", Win 7 for my Sims. , and Linux to try it, since I'm multi-curious.
                        Ahhh, the multi-boot bug. I had that years ago and at one point had MS-DOS, Win98, Win2000, and Linux (can't remember the flavor) set up on one system. It was cool to be able to switch over from one system to another for whatever reason.

I've kind of given that up though. Even dual-booting to another OS for beta testing purposes grew tiresome and very involved considering I was beta testing for Symantec (let's scan the ENTIRE system, for the next 10 hours !)

Eric the Grey
                        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                          Ahhh, the multi-boot bug. I had that years ago and at one point had MS-DOS, Win98, Win2000, and Linux (can't remember the flavor) set up on one system. It was cool to be able to switch over from one system to another for whatever reason.

I've kind of given that up though. Even dual-booting to another OS for beta testing purposes grew tiresome and very involved considering I was beta testing for Symantec (let's scan the ENTIRE system, for the next 10 hours !)

Eric the Grey
                          heh. I still have dual boot setups on all my machines...Mac Pro has XP as a rarely used second partition, for the every year or so I get the PC gaming itch, and my netbook still has the XP partition it came with, plus Ubuntu Netbook Remix...Never touch either windows install, but they're there because I'm a packrat and just can't bring myself to remove them. :-P
                          Coworker: Distro of choice?
                          Me: Gentoo.
                          Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

For the UAC in Vista (which runs nicely on my gaming rig) I grabbed TweakUAC. This keeps the useful bits and reduces the "yes, I'm sure I want to do this", "No really I'M SURE!" frustration.

Conceptually having something that reminds me "This could be a dumb idea" and will nag about basic security (Windows Updates, old AV definitions etc) is a good idea. The way they implemented in Vista was horrible, as it only had Nag lots, nag not-quite-so-much-but-still-annoying-as-hell and Off. With TweakUAC about once a week I get a "You need admin permissions, continue?"box and that's it
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I've had XP, Vista, Win 7 and Mac OS X.

I hated XP. It was old. Vista I was good with. Windows 7 I love. Mac OS X is my soulmate.

A lot of times it's just getting used to something before deciding you love it. I dual boot into Windows 7 occasionally, it's simple. But, I worked with Vista for nearly 3 years. If you don't understand how to use something, there's always google.
                              When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Godmode hack for Windows 7. Read the article and enjoy.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18747...h_godmode.html

Comment

Working...
                                X