This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently I'm a good customer

Background: Recently I had to get a bulb changed in my headlights. Yes, I know, I should be able to do it myself (I could on my old car!) but I am a) very short and b) very short in the arms/fingers so I literally can't get my arm far enough down between the engine and front of the car to get the back of the lighting unit off. As such I go to the local branch of a chain known for its vehicle accessories, bikes and camping gear. They have also been running a deal where if you get so many bits like batteries, lights, oil etc. done in a period of time you get freebies. /background.

I wanted to be prepared, so I took a picture of both headlights while they were on so that the tech guy could double-check which bulb was out without having to hike across the car-park. I also took the car's manual along so that the he could look up the correct bulb. I even stopped off at the car wash on the way to get rid of the build-up of dust and bird poop so that he wouldn't get his uniform filthy.

Apparently this level of preparation is so unusual that it deserved a free 5 litre bottle of screen wash to reward it, despite the voucher on my little service booklet having expired. Who knew?
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Awwww...you are awesome. My car is dirty when I take it in.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      Apparently this level of preparation consideration for a fellow human being is so unusual that it deserved a free 5 litre bottle of screen wash to reward it
      Just a small edit...

I bet you wowed the guy and he told all coworkers about that awesome customer!
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
        Just a small edit...

I bet you wowed the guy and he told all coworkers about that awesome customer!
        I'm an accountant, so I know what it's like to deal with people who couldn't be arsed to do the slightest amount of prep work to make my job easier (and yes, they do pay for the extra work done). I try to translate that to other industries and take a stab at what would make their lives easier. Going to be draped over my car sorting something out I can't fix? I can at least make sure you're not laying in the local seagulls' dinner from last night. Replacing my gas meter? All the crap in the cupboard under the stairs is going to be shifted. Cleaning out my gutters? All possible obstacles in the garden are getting shifted. It's just common courtesy.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

unfortunately, it seems like common courtesy isn't that common.

Comment

Quoth OneMoreTime View Post
            unfortunately, it seems like common courtesy isn't that common.
            It's also common sense. If you're paying someone by the hour to do the job, you don't want to be paying them the 20 minutes it takes to clear the area enough to do the work! Exceptions, of course, for those physically unable to do the clearing due to medical or mobility issues.

Comment

Working...
            X