This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another day in paradise....

When people ask me how I'm doing, that's my way of saying that things are kind of sucky or not as I would like, but tolerable. I'm not in a particularly happy-go-lucky mood, but I'll get over it after a while and continue to live.

Anyone who bothers to ask: "How are you today?"

Me: *slight sigh or eyeroll* "Oh, it's just another day in paradise." I usually found myself saying it frequently to regular customers when I worked at the c-store, and wasn't in the best of moods over whatever bugged me. Most of the good ones sympathized with me at that point.

Anyway, I made another sale today at my new telemarketing job, so I'm happy about that. I'm still debating on whether or not it's right for my personality. I'm good at presenting the facts, and answering any specific questions. However, the big inner conflict is that I'm like a lot of people who got involved in the debate that closed that thread. (By the way, mods, I almost feel like I should apologize for opening that can of worms. I just felt the need to vent my feelings at the moment.) I mean, I have a new appreciation of how telemarketers are real, live human beings with feelings, too. I was never rude, anyway, but was generally indifferent about their pitches when they called on me. On the other hand, I can appreciate how some people feel like it's a violation of their privacy to be hounded by the relentlessness tenacity that telemarketers are expected to possess. I'm not so aggressive about that, and it could cost me achieving quota in the end. This is my first week, and I've made three sales, which puts me at $110 below quota as of today. Tomorrow will determine whether I make quota for my first full week.

I was sweating it Tuesday and yesterday, but found myself a little more indifferent today. I'll give it one or two tries if they seem willing to carry on a conversation, but usually let it go if they show no interest after that. I've not voiced it at work, but I just don't like to push and am not prone to using assumptive language in my natural conversational style. In serious mode, I tend to be very matter-of-fact and speak in conditional thought patterns. This is the way it is, think whatever you wish. I'm not one to generally approach life making assumptions, especially about people.

I hesitated applying for this job because I wasn't sure I'd like telemarketing, but I finally went for it because the base pay was more than I was making at the c-store. Since then, the manager at the c-store has offered me more money to come back, but it still falls just barely short of the telemarketing base pay. Plus, I do like the hours much better, and it's nice not having to look at nasty, hateful SC personality types.

I've been looking at the website for a competitor for the c-store chain where I had been working. They do have an employment post for a possibly lucrative job in their corporate offices. It's been posted for quite some time, so it may be old now. It's still posted, though. I do seem to fit the qualifications for that job. So, I'm updating my resume yet again. I just did for the telemarketing job, so that should be easy enough. We'll see how it goes. If it works out, I think I can handle being buried in mounds of c-store reports and paperwork much better than I can handle calling people who don't necessarily want to talk to me on the phone.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I can realate...I worked at an INBOUND call center, and people were still rude.

Comment

I use that saying quite a bit myself . . .

However, I add to mine "Just minus the cheeseburger."
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'm doing good, I've started to grow accustomed to it within a week's time. I have some pretty cool coworkers who've been helpful and supportive when I've stumbled. Sure, most of the calls still suck, but not all of them are so bad. There are still some friendly people out there who are willing to chat, even if they have no intention of buying. It doesn't help with reaching quota, but it does make it easier to swallow if they are at least friendly and interesting to talk to. I didn't make a sale today, but I did have some interesting conversations.

Oh, yeah, I like the "minus the cheeseburger" addition.
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I worked telemarketing once...

My unit called the telephone number that current magazine subscribers had provided their respective publishers, asking them if they wanted to renew their subscriptions (which, according to the publishers, was set to expire within two months). I thought it sounded like a simple enough concept; customer likes magazine=customer renews subscription. Customer doesn't like magazine=customer says, "No thank you." Hahahahahahahahaha! Was I naive.

I had customers claim everything from hating the magazine (which they have been subscribed to for eight years) to those who couldn't remember ever receiving said publication (which, again, they have been subscribed to for eight years).

Now, I understand that the whole concept of being called by a telemarketer for any reason might rub you the wrong way, but I never understood why loyal readers would refuse the offer to renew (at a discount from what they paid the previous time they renerew/subscribed) with such rage. I mean, HOW DARE I offer them Reader's Digest for only $0.15 a copy!?!
          "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
          -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Working...
          X