This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Finicky Currency Mongers

This kinda spread over a week, because I wanted some related stories to make a sufficient post.

State Quarters - P.I.T.A.

Thanks to the US Mint, those stupid State Quarters have attracted some pretty crazy folks into the hobby. And poor me has to deal with them. I mean, it's one thing if the register is open from a transaction, and someone wants to get change in Quarters instead of dollar bills. It's another thing when someone asks me to dig thru the till for Idaho (The current design).

Crispy!!

If you want "Crispy" Bills, go to the damn bank. My register is not your personal bank. And you will get the slightly wrinkled $20 Bill.

Unexpected Raise

A lady complained that one of the coins she got was "counterfeit." She didn't like the way how "dirty" it looked. Of course, this was after I closed the drawer after she took her change. I looked at it, and saw nothing wrong except it was brown and looked corroded. But she insisted I give her "real" money. Frustrated, I dug into a pocket and shot the quarter Zenigata Heiji style and turned my back to her and pocketed the piece.

When "Coin Man" came in later, I told him the story, and showed him the piece. He smirks, and tells me "She should've kept it. It's a $1000 error coin."

Apparently, the lady had given me a State Quarter with one of it's clad layers missing, exposing the copper core. Such errors command a pretty penny on the coin collector market according to Coin man. Coin man is helping me get it authenticated just to be safe.

Spooked by torn currency?

One of my co-workers bugged me to keep my till open, because the woman she just served wanted "good" currency. She had been given currency that was either torn, dirty, a/or not to her standards. I merely closed my drawer right after, citing "Security Protocol." Needless to say, the lady was pissed. Well, the other 4 people behind you would also be pissed at your lolly gagging.

Germs on Currency? NO WAI!!

We had to void a transaction because the lady refused the currency that was handed to her. Even after the cashier sneezed, quickly went for the sanitizer, rubbed a few times, wiped his hands of excess sanitizer, and completed the transaction. Suffice to say, the lady wasn't wearing gloves, so I could partially rule out Germphobe. She wasn't old (30's?) so I dunno what was up....

The "Number"

Series 2001 $1 bill L66600666X. A note that was throw back at me after I handed a customer her change. Before she could throw bible language at me, Coin man gladly took the bill off the lady's hands and told her "Hey, thanks for the $100 raise! Have a nice day!" and plops a dollar bill onto the counter and walks off.

The lady was stunned.
    Last edited by Hon'ya-chan; 07-20-2007, 11:33 AM.

Crispy bills. Piff. In my retail days, there were no such thing as crispy bills in my register. They have an annoying habit of sticking together.

It was always satisfying to smile at people as I took their brand new bills and wadded them up in a ball.

Sigh.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

When I was at the movie theatre, we frequently got wraps of brand new, never before touched by human hands ones. I HATED them. Sometimes 3 or 4 could stick together and you could barely tell, plus the ink is still wet and turned your hands black. If I could, I would separate them out, and alternate them with the old bills in my drawer.
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Yeah, best way to deal with crisp new bills is to take them, one by one, and crumple them up. That way they no longer stick together... but they usually make the stack 3 times as big because they are still stiff.
        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
        The Office

Comment

I'm always happy to get a new state quarter, but I don't insist the cashiers dig through their cash drawers to look for them.

Where's George bills, on the other hand... (j/k, but I've been tempted...)
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Congrats on you and coin man's extra cash. Buy me a cookie?
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Better yet post a pic - I wouldn't mind seeing what a $1000 error coin looks like.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                When I was at the movie theatre, we frequently got wraps of brand new, never before touched by human hands ones. I HATED them. Sometimes 3 or 4 could stick together and you could barely tell, plus the ink is still wet and turned your hands black. If I could, I would separate them out, and alternate them with the old bills in my drawer.
                Fresh bills are the worst. When I was cashiering, I would always alternate them with used bills to make them easier to count quickly. Although I have a really fine touch, and have never not noticed when I've had more than one.

I've been known to casually ask for any odd bills or coins ($2 bills or Susan B coins, usually), but I've never even considered asking a cashier to go through their drawer for a specific quarter. That's just obnoxious.

Nekojin brought home one of the new $1 coins yesterday. It appeared in the cave-like atmosphere of the living room to be vaguely gold colored and had writing around the edge.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                  Yeah, best way to deal with crisp new bills is to take them, one by one, and crumple them up. That way they no longer stick together... but they usually make the stack 3 times as big because they are still stiff.
                  An easier trick is to moisten the edges. It doesn't take much. Just the condensation on the outside of a cold soda on a hot day will do.
                  Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                    Better yet post a pic - I wouldn't mind seeing what a $1000 error coin looks like.
                    Here ya go.
                    Attached Files
                    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      Fresh bills are the worst. When I was cashiering, I would always alternate them with used bills to make them easier to count quickly. Although I have a really fine touch, and have never not noticed when I've had more than one.

I've been known to casually ask for any odd bills or coins ($2 bills or Susan B coins, usually), but I've never even considered asking a cashier to go through their drawer for a specific quarter. That's just obnoxious.

Nekojin brought home one of the new $1 coins yesterday. It appeared in the cave-like atmosphere of the living room to be vaguely gold colored and had writing around the edge.

^-.-^
                      those coins are pretty!!! oh and they say in god we trust what that epis thingy and 2007 on the edge its awesome

btw dollar coins make me feel british
                      oh and they still make 2 dollars bill
                      Last edited by Sliceanddice; 07-21-2007, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X