This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was a SC - long

And I really wasn't it until I started cussing the dude out...

A bit of background...I'm broke. Really broke. I spread myself a bit too thin the past few months and now every single penny is cherished AND accounted for. I'm working a lot to get me back in the saddle again, but until them, I'M BROKE!

So, today, I go get some gas for my car. I have enough cash to fill it up and I am hoping upon hope that I can stretch this gas until the last drop for two weeks. (Everything I do is in close proximity to where I live. Within 5 miles for all I do right now) Gas is a whopping $3.28 a gallon at most stations here. It's literally painful to fill up my tank.

This particular gas station offers two cents off the gallon if you pay inside. I paid by credit card, so I was outside. I know, if I am really pinching pennies, I should have saved that two cents a gallon, but I didn't. I regret that now because this wouldn't have happened...

The pump says $3.26 for unleaded. I put my card in and it recognizes I am paying outside, so it increases the cost to $3.28 a gallon. I choose that price and pump. I reach $44 and some change, so I top it off making it an even $45 purchase. >.< Fuck that's a lot for gas!!!!! I say to myself, get my receipt and head off.

After I leave the gym and before I go do my measley grocery shopping, I decide to balance my checkbook. I look at the receipt and notice that I was charged $3.38 a gallon bringing my total to $48. Three bucks more than what I expected...

On my way home from groceries, I hit the station again and bring this too their attention. Rather than the clerk telling me right off the bat that he couldn't do anything, I'd have to speak to a manager....he straight up told me that it's not possible. He suggested I didn't know what I was talking about. Even going as far to suggest that "Maybe it morning time, you sleepy, you forget what button you push?" When he said that, I blew my top. I had only been there no less than two hours earlier. The receipt showed that....

ugh! I cussed a bit at him for suggesting that I was lying. Which was wrong...

so, I was an sc.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

I don't blame you for that one, I would be pissed to. the station near where I live is selling gas at 3.329 a gallon and when you have to drive 40 min each day for work that starts eating up your gas, even more when you live in the country.
    I like to scare small childeren, it's fun and as long as you can out run the parents you can get away with it.

Comment

$45 worth of gas at $3.279 per gallon = 13.724 gallons. Your savings would have been 27¢

$48 worth of gas at $3.379 per gallon = 14.205 gallons. Check your receipt for these numbers. Then check if the higher octane gas was $3.379 and maybe you did put a higher grade gas in than you intended. I know that where I live they have a 10¢ difference between regular and plus and the same difference between plus and premium.

The SC 12 step program begins with admitting that you were one. The second step is to atone for being one. You owe the attendant a cookie. He did not set the gas price, the grade you chose or program the computers used at the station.

That being said, I can understand your situation. I'm paddling the same boat you are and the paddle is getting thinner every day. Combine that with the price we have to pay these days for everything and it is easy to get frustrated. I also know how the attendant at the station feels. I was working at a gas station when the price first hit $1.00 a gallon and had to endure the ranting of people back then, as your attendant has to now. I really do hope that they know that we aren't bitching at them, just the companies they work for. They just happen to be the representative of the company standing in front of us at the time.

While you're handing out cookies, can I get one too?
      Last edited by bigjimaz; 07-13-2007, 02:05 AM.
      This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
        I have enough cash to fill it up and I am hoping upon hope that I can stretch this gas until the last drop for two weeks. (Everything I do is in close proximity to where I live. Within 5 miles for all I do right now)
        Have you looked into what you can do with local public transit? There are a lot of things where it's just not worth it if you already have a car, but there are some trips that are actually a bit faster (if you can catch a rail services, for example) and are much less of a hassle other than scheduling.

Having no car, it's cheaper to take the bus, since you don't have to worry about gas, maintenance, or insurance premiums. My monthly pass costs the same as one month's worth of insurance and one full tank of gas, and everywhere I've really needed to go has a route. Plus, you tend to not eat out or do a lot of shopping when you don't have easy and convenient transportation.

Oh, and walking's good for your health.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Cookie allowed for Bigjimaz.

No cookie given to gas station attendant for suggesting friendofjimmyk was lying.

Cookie awarded to gas station attendant for suggesting a possible alternative to why friendofjimmyk was charged the wrong price.

Breaks even for the gas station attendant.

I once went shopping at a store where they forgot to remove a sensor (happens occasionally, no big deal) and since I had worked clothing before, I knew what it was like. So the people at the door took my bag of clothes that I had just purchased from their store and were like, "Let me just make sure that isn't us..." which of course it was. So they took the bag to the back and got the sensors removed. What irked me though (and I don't think she meant it this way) was that she sounded like she was accusing me of stealing. Excuse me, I just spent a good amount of money in your store. I had a big bag to prove it. I would think that if I were going to steal stuff that I wouldn't be spending much if anything at all in your store. And if the sensors had been in one of the bags from another store, don't you think the alarm would have gone off when I walked IN???? But since I knew she probably didn't mean it like that, I ignored it. I should have said something about how she shouldn't say anything like that again because it could awaken a sleeping SC, but meh. She will find out soon enough!
          Last edited by Shabo; 07-13-2007, 04:19 PM. Reason: Added story
          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
          The Office

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post

While you're handing out cookies, can I get one too?
            Well, the thing about cookies, they cost money too...so, will you take an IOU on the cookie until I'm not so broke?
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              Have you looked into what you can do with local public transit? There are a lot of things where it's just not worth it if you already have a car, but there are some trips that are actually a bit faster (if you can catch a rail services, for example) and are much less of a hassle other than scheduling.

^-.-^
              I wish I could take public transporation here. Believe me, I would. I don't mind walking at all - however, the way the busses run, the things I would take the bus to - it stops like 5 or more miles away. NOw, I don't mind walking, but in the hot summer, 5 miles in 90+ degrees can be bad.

Believe me, I'd ditch the car in a minute.

Comment

Well, the thing about cookies, they cost money too...so, will you take an IOU on the cookie until I'm not so broke?
                Would you like some Desperation cookies? (I'm not kidding; I have a recipe by that name.)
                Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Hey Shabo, I have a pair of pants that had a sensor tag in them, which I didn't realize and therefore never cut out (it never set off the alarm in the store, or at work where I wore them quite often). Months and probably at least 50 wearings later I was changing over the new release stepladders right next to the front door, so I was near the sensor tower, and everytime I got too close the damn thing would start beeping. I was checking my shoes - maybe I stepped on a sensor sticker? No. Then I thought maybe there was one in my pants I hadn't noticed. So I went in the bathroom with a pair of scissors and checked, and there it was, so I cut it out, and no more beeping....

Moral of the story: it is entirely possible that something might not set off the alarm on the way in but set it off on the way out. (I hated it when they started putting those things in clothes, because people wouldn't realize they were there. If we couldn't find a reason they might be beeping we'd always suggest they check for tags in their clothes/purse/wallet/whatever.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
                    Would you like some Desperation cookies? (I'm not kidding; I have a recipe by that name.)
                    If they can be made with bisquick, pink lemonade mix, sugar and one egg - we're on...

Those are the only items in my house that I have that I could possibly make cookies out of!

Comment

I wish I could take public transporation here. Believe me, I would. I don't mind walking at all - however, the way the busses run, the things I would take the bus to - it stops like 5 or more miles away. NOw, I don't mind walking, but in the hot summer, 5 miles in 90+ degrees can be bad.

Do you have a bike? All of the buses in my area have bike racks, so a bike and a bus pass could be really useful for destinations that are just a bit far for walking, but within easy biking distance.

5 miles is a long trip. My work isn't even 5 miles from my house.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                        I would think that if I were going to steal stuff that I wouldn't be spending much if anything at all in your store.
                        I have to comment on this, as I was a thief/shoplifter in junior high, and was quite good at it. Good because I had certain rules I went by. One such rule was "always buy something!" See, the idea here is that if you are spending money, they won't think you are stealing anything. And trust me, that does work!

So people should not assume that someone spending money is by definition not stealing from them. A good thief will always make a purchase so that you don't wonder why they were in your store by not purchasing.

Just a little FYI for y'all.

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
                        I cook. I don't bake. That being said, I would love to see the recipe for "Desperation Cookies."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

I would ditch my car too, if they offered the transport where I live. It's a much better way of getting around, you're helping the environment and the economy. Not only that, but I would rather pay bus fare than gas. I have to put $80 aside for gas with every paycheck because I live all the way out in east bumblefuck. Seriously, I feel your pain.
                          Check out my cosplay social group!
                          http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I've been having to drive lately, as I've been taking my children to daycare a few days a week. Even though I can use the carpool lanes and not pay bridge tolls, I am so tired of it. I'm so stressed by the time I get to work, then I have to pay parking. And I'm going through so much extra gas. I can't wait to get back to riding the bus and BART.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

friendofjimmyk , you seem to have the wrong notion of what constitutes being an SC.
                              First and foremost, SCs don't know (or don't care) just how stupid they are.

Your foresight to be concerned about how you were perceived in the situation automatically (in my mind) disqualifies you as an official SC.
                              You got ripped off and addressed the issue.
                              A reasonable reaction to the already highly expensive commodity of gasoline.
                              ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Working...
                              X