This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperation Cookies

Warning, LONG! (it is a recipe after all)

Basically, it's a the cookie version of jamablya: Make a cookie dough and through whatever bits and pieces you have in it. But, if you're like me, you need a recipe for the dough because you don't have one memorized.

Desperation Cookies
    from Peach Cobbler Murder
    by: Joanne Fluke

Preheat oven to 350 degress F., rack in the middle position.

2 cups melted butter (4 sticks, one pound)
    3 cups white sugar
    1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    4 teaspoons vanilla
    4 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 beaten eggs
    5 cups flour (no need to sift)
    3 cups chips ***
    4 cups chopped nuts ****

***Use any combination of regular choclate chips, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, vanilla chips, cherry chips, strawberry chips, peanut butter chips, or any other flavors you think will go together.

****Use any nuts you like including walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, even peanuts. If you don’t have enough nuts to make 4 cups, fill in with crushed cornflakes, Rice Krispies, cocnut, raisins, or any dried fruit.

Melt the butter. (Nuke it for 3 minutes on high in a microwave-safe container, or in a pan on the stove.) Mix in the white sugar and the bornw sugar. Add the vanilla, baking soda, salt, and mix. Add the eggs and stir it all up. Then add halgf the flour, the chips, and the chopped nuts. Stir well to incorporate. Then add the rest of the flour and mix thoroughly.

Drop by teaspoons onto greased cookie sheets, 12 to a standard-size sheet. If the dough is too sticky to handle, chill it slightly and try again. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until nicely browned.

Let cool for two minutes, then remove cookies from the baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Yields: Approximately 10 dozen.
    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      I wish I could take public transporation here. Believe me, I would. I don't mind walking at all - however, the way the busses run, the things I would take the bus to - it stops like 5 or more miles away. NOw, I don't mind walking, but in the hot summer, 5 miles in 90+ degrees can be bad.

Believe me, I'd ditch the car in a minute.
      Can you get your hands on a bike? If you're usually staying within a 5 mile radius, it might work well for you. Just find yourself a backpack (or a rack for the bike and strap a duffle bag on, then you don't get a sweaty back) and you are set for a surprising amount of cargo. Biking is nicer than walking in the heat because you generate your own breeze, and it's efficient so you can cover more distance without exhausting yourself. WAY nicer than buses because you aren't stuck going miles out of your way or stopping every 2 minutes!

Garage sales and thrift shops are good places to find cheap bikes, and it's not at all difficult to maintain a bike or fix one up a little (basically you lube everything that moves, make sure the brake pads are OK - and they're about $4 a set to replace - and go). I personally like the old Schwinn and Raleigh upright bikes - those things last generations!

A lot of people worry about being safe when they are riding - check with your local police department for their best recommendations. Biking is a lot safer than most people think, as long as you make sure you know the rules of the road and move in a predictable manner.

I LOVE my bike

Edited to add - I ride 9 miles each way to work every day, and I'm no jock!

Comment

Update on this one...

I checked my bank account online today and guess what?

I was only charged $45 bucks and NOT the $48 that the receipt said I was charged. WTF? So, I was right when I read the pump and the receipt was wrong but I was charged the right amount.

"I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
          Update on this one...

I checked my bank account online today and guess what?

I was only charged $45 bucks and NOT the $48 that the receipt said I was charged. WTF? So, I was right when I read the pump and the receipt was wrong but I was charged the right amount.

Might've been a system glitch with the printer? I dunno.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
          X