Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's not discuss PETA anymore it's one of those topics that turn ugly very fast.

You may all head over to Fratching for that discussion.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

Late to the party, I know, but seriously. I live in an area in the burbs of Chicago where we have a lot of built up areas, but plenty of farms and forest preserves as well. This means we have ALOT of deer and coyotes in the area, wandering around. I've had a coyote run alongside me while I was rollerblading, and we've had one chilling on our back porch, having a go at a stinky bone my mom's dog wasn't allowed to bring in the house, and I'd never thought of calling someone to "take care of it." Some people are just too special for words, ya know?

(BTW, OT and all, but I have a BS in Zoology, along with over 300 hours working as a Vet Nurse/Intern and a year spent working as a keeper in a zoo. I am well versed in animal behavior and husbandry, and nothing pi$$es me off like people who think they know what constitues "abuse" when they have *no farking idea*)
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
        "That I uses"? What's wrong with it? Did the filthy, nasty hobbitzes steal it from you?
        Best. Line. Ever!

Retail Haiku:
        Depression sets in.
        The hellhole is calling me ~
        I don't want to go.

Comment

I promise, even in a city, deer will find what they need. When I was living with my parents, it was a yearly ritual in the spring to rebuild our 10 foot tall solid privacy fence. Why? Because we had a heated pool in our backyard, and in the winter when all the little streams in the nearby forest froze over, the deer knew that our pool would have water (we kept the pool about 75 or so in the summer, and it was 10 foot deep, so it didn't freeze nearly as fast. Once the deer were in, they could keep a hole in the ice to get to the water), so they would tear our fence down EVERY winter. There were about 10 or 12, and of course once the deer knocked the fence down, the raccoons and other woodland creatures would follow the deer in.
          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Banrion,
            Why didn't you just install a gate and leave it open?
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
            HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
              Banrion,
              Why didn't you just install a gate and leave it open?
              We had a dog that we didn't want to run loose. She didn't like snow however, so in the winter she would barely leave the deck to do her business, so the fence being broken didn't matter as much.
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Me: "Good morning, <company name>"
                SC: "You gotta problem?!"
                Me: "Pardon?"
                SC: "YOU GOT A PROBLEM!"
                Someone's got a problem, and I'm pretty sure it isn't GK...

SC: "No! You should be out shooting all the coyotes! They're dangerous!"
                ( Ok, so you want me to wake someone up at 3am to go force feed a deer, but if it was a coyote you want me to send someone to shoot it in the face? Bravo. )
                Argh! Nothing makes me want to grab a hunting rifle and deerstalker cap faster than some dipshit transplanted city person complaining about things they don't have the first freaking clue about. I'm a city girl through and through. I have no interest in living in the sticks. But I spent some of my youth on a ranch, and even if I hadn't, I'd know that when you get close to the wild, you get wildlife!

I remember reading somewhere long ago where the bleeding heart animal lovers (not to be confused with sensible animal lovers) decided that the wolves in an area were killing too many deer, so they killed off a massive number of wolves. Without the wolves to keep the population down, the deer were very nearly wiped out completely by starvation the very next winter.

Yeah, like any reasonable individual with even a rudimentary understanding of the ecosystem couldn't see that one coming...

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
                Anyway, you can't just move out here without any knowledge. And you certainly don't feed the wildlife!
                Unfortunately, SCs prove daily that even if you are completely and utterly ignorant of anything more than 5 miles from a mall, you can still move out to be "next to nature."

If you want me I'll be in the corner rocking back and forth.
                There, there. More hugs for you.

.... this could get to be a habit... not that I'm complaining...

Quoth Naaman View Post
                [Pedant] One of the classic symptoms of someone going hypoglycaemic is to appear belligerent and drunk [/pedant]
                My ex was full type 1 diabetic. He described having low blood sugar like all of the worst parts of being drunk: lack of control, skewed perception, but none of the buzz. He's lousy at taking care of himself (completely his mother's fault, the overbearing *grumblemutter*), so he'd get lows low enough for him to be completely delusional. One morning he claimed he was a shark and if I bothered him, he'd bite me. He went so far as to thrash around in the bed and make snapping motions.

Back OT, once he'd started an insulin bottle, it didn't need to be kept refrigerated. Only when stored for the long-term was refrigeration necessary. But most doctors don't actually tell their patients that information (he didn't know until after I'd met him, and he was in his mid 20's), and some patients just don't get the difference between when it's ok and when it's not ok to let their insulin get warm. I know that when he got his pen unit, the stored vials were kept refrigerated, but the one in his pen, and the spare in the pen case were fine at room temperature for as long as they lasted. It might be different for type 2s, however, as their consumption rate is probably different.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

- "They're all aggressive! THEY EAT BABIES!"

(Forgive me I don't know how to quote yet)
                  WHAT?! Coyotes are not especially aggressive only towards prey, in fact, they're more skittish than poodles. I live in Texas and I've seen only a handful in 19 years of living here, when I did see them, they RAN AWAY! And here in Texas where they are very common, I have NEVER heard of a coyote attacking a person or a child.

Has ANYONE heard of a coyote, charging into a house rambo style, running to the nursery and eating a child?

And please explain to me why a deer's natural habitat isn't where they are going to get food? If I'm not mistaken they eat grass! Grrrraaaassss! My God if the deer is starving it's because it can't look down!

Comment

Working...
                  X