Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self Checkouts: Tailor-Made For Thieves?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Auto View Post
    I've never worked in a store with a scanner but I just assumed that the software can alert the clerk to give my purchase a once-over based on the bar codes I'm scanning. You can't buy booze/tobacco at the self-scan. Does expensive cuts of meat signal an alert to the clerk too? Or those $20 packs of razor blades?

But each time I make a large -- ~ $75 -- sale, the clerk always comes over to observe. She usually doesn't say anything unless the scanner's frozen and waiting for her to unfreeze it. But I just get the sense that she's eyeballing my work to see that I'm not pretending to scan every fourth or fifth item.
    Only age-restricted items signal the cashier at the stand at Wal-Mart. The nice thing, though, is that the cashier's screen shows each item as it's rung up, so you don't really need to go stand by a customer to watch what they're ringing up. (It's really funny when your screen says the customer is buying 20 "Canned cat" products.) If one of my coworkers alerted me to a known scammer, or if I wasn't to busy with whatever new and stupid task the store manager came up with for me to do while watching the self-checkouts, I would simply watch the customers from the podium and compare their item-ringing with what showed up on the screen. That way I wouldn't have to make them feel uncomfortable (and the real scammers might not notice that I'm actually paying attention to what rings up and what doesn't).
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I had heard about stores in japan doing the scanner thing.
      You would walk around the store, and scan everything you want, etc etc, then dock the gun, and pay for the items. and they would be delievered same day to your home.
      I thought that was badass. You could do a cart of 2 worth of shopping, and not have to lug all that crap into your house.
      http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
      Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
        Washington State: $7.93
        Oregon State: $7.80

It took me and my husband awhile to coordinate ourselves with the Self Checkout, but we use them now like old pros. One thing that is a biggy is leaning against the edge of the scale. I've gotten griped at for doing that by my husband who was doing the scanning and all that.

Waaaay off topic
        Heey, it's my 500th post!! Go me!
        ca just raised to 8$ an hour too bad for us who make a hourly + commision we get a lowly 5.75 where i work, that doesnt ammount to much when its a slow day or week or month.
        "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth symposes View Post
          You would walk around the store, and scan everything you want, etc etc, then dock the gun, and pay for the items. and they would be delievered same day to your home.
          I thought that was badass. You could do a cart of 2 worth of shopping, and not have to lug all that crap into your house.
          Now that is the way to do it, if you ask me. No bags for the customer to stick extra stuff in, so it's back to good old-fashioned shoplifting.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth symposes View Post
            You know what? If I wasn't in a hurry, that would be a wonderful way of doing it, especially since I don't have a vehicle, and am currently lucky enough to live 2 blocks from the Safeway. And with any luck, if I was in a hurry for some items, I could still buy those the old fashioned way and have the rest delivered later!
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
            X