This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Eye Lady

This morning, a guest approaches the desk and the following ensues (dialogue is approximate):

ME: Yeah
    CEL: Crazy Eye Lady
    MG: Maintenance Guy
    GM: Manager

CEL: "Excuse me, how often is your pool cleaned?"
    ME: <looks at maintenance guy who is standing at the other end of the counter, since I know he can explain it better than I>
    MG: "The chemicals in the pool are constantly cleaning it. It's a continuous process."
    CEL: <looks back at me> "Is there a manager I could speak to? My son's eye is just terrible and <whispers> I don't want to make a scene."
    ME: "Uhhh sure, just a minute." <walks back to the manager's office, thinking Okay, so don't make one, dummy!>

Manager comes out.

GM: "How can I help you?"
    CEL: "We used the pool Friday*, and ever since then my sons eye has been really irritated, red, and swollen and it keeps getting worse. Out of all my kids, I know he is the only one who opened his eyes under the water."
    ME: <blinks>
    GM: "Ma'am, we don't know that that was caused by the pool. It could have been caused by anything, it could have been something airborne--"
    CEL: "Well it wasn't like that until he used your pool! I'm going to take him to the doctor, so we'll see!"
    GM: "Okay, you do that..."
    CEL: "We'll see!"

*keep in mind, today is Tuesday

Wait, what?!

First of all, if the problem was indeed caused by our pool, why would it only affect one eye? And furthermore, how can she be so sure none of the other dozens of people who used the pool over the past four days didn't open their eyes under the water? Did she take a survey? Why haven't we had any other guests complaining of eye problems? How does she plan on proving he caught something from our pool?

I'm quite curious to see how this all plays out, but he's not due to check out til Saturday.

It'll be amusing when she finds out her kid has Pink Eye and the doctor scolds her for
    1- waiting so long to seek medical attention
    2- having him out (pool, hotel, etc.) where he can spread such a highly contagious illness.

Not that I'm wishing illness on the kid or anything because I'm not.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

What ever happened to the days when stuff just HAPPENED?
      Whatever happened to the days when people got sick and it was dealt with without trying to backtrack and fingerpoint?
      Why is there this intense need for blame?

(Note: No answer to these questions is needed. We live in a kneejerk litigious
      society where compensation is God and personal responsibility no longer factors in reality. Thank you for your time. Now pay me for the inconvenience of having to explain myself or you'll be hearing from my lawyer.)
      ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

You should have said:

"So you're telling us that your child was in the pool with possible pink eye b/c now you want us to inform all of our guests that your son could have contaminted them??!! Well thanks for letting us know - let's hope that the chlorine in the pool killed those germs! Oh btw - did you take a shower last night? Did you know there's more chlorine in your shower than there is in the pool?? Hmm looks like your son should stop swimming AND stop showering until his eye clears up....."

Comment

And chances are, she came to or phoned up her local pharmacy to find out "what the best thing is to use", and was told that we cannot diagnose, and that she should go see a doctor as it was most likely an infection, and then she probably went out to the eye section and found that goddamn Hyland's pink eye relief solution and came back indignant that we didn't recommend that.

Not that this exact scenario hasn't happened or anything, and didn't result in a complaint to corporate against the overnight pharmacist because he not only didn't recommend the stuff, but told her that if he thought it would do any good, he would've recommended it, and that she still needed to take her kid to the doctor.

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
            What ever happened to the days when stuff just HAPPENED?
            Whatever happened to the days when people got sick and it was dealt with without trying to backtrack and fingerpoint?
            Why is there this intense need for blame?
            Exactly. 98% of the world is so damn sue-happy, it is unbelievable. Next thing you know, a kid will be playing and running around at school, fall and get a scratch. Then the parents will blame the company that made the shoe laces, and the school, for not watching their little "angel". Back in my day, if we got a scratch, we would clean and then put a band-aid on it. We would not sue over that.
            Last edited by protege; 07-20-2007, 03:10 PM. Reason: The quote thingie again :)
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Well, at least she didn't want to make a scene...and she didn't make any demands. It was almost just a warning. "If the doctor says this is your fault...well, prepare a lawyer." I mean, thinking your kid got pinkeye from the pool and that the hotel would be responsible, well, that's silly. But I'd chalk most of this up to ignorance, not malice.

Comment

When I read the title I thought this lady had a moving eye like Mad-Eye Moody. (Sorry, Harry Potter mania is taking over.)

It's amazing that she kept her kid out and about for that long.
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                  When I read the title I thought this lady had a moving eye like Mad-Eye Moody.
                  My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                    Exactly. 98% of the world is so damn sue-happy, it is unbelievable. Next thing you know, a kid will be playing and running around at school, fall and get a scratch. Then the parents will blame the company that made the shoe laces, and the school, for not watching their little "angel". Back in my day, if we got a scratch, we would clean and then put a band-aid on it. We would not sue over that.
                    Some of the schools in my area have banned playing most traditional childrens games at recess. They wanted to prevent lawsuits from stupid SC parents that had their little angel get hurt on the playground.

When I was in elementary school, I was playing a popular game with a tennis ball and some running, and some other kid running in a different direction slammed into me, causing me to fall and break my arm. Did I care? Nope. Did Mommy or Daddy sue? Heck no! They understood that what happened happened, and no one was really to blame for it... except for that kid that ran into me, since he was breaking an unspoken rule of where to run in the direction he was running. Other than that, it wasn't his fault.

But they banned that game, and other games like "tag" and "touch football". Basically, any game that involves moving around got banned. And they wonder why kids are getting fatter...
                    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                    The Office

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post

It'd be more accurate to say 98% of AMERICA is sue-happy. Maybe Canada, too, I don't know. I DO know that most of the rest of the world thinks we're all idiots for wasting our time running around suing each other.
                      What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Quoth mischugenah View Post
                        It'd be more accurate to say 98% of AMERICA is sue-happy. Maybe Canada, too, I don't know. I DO know that most of the rest of the world thinks we're all idiots for wasting our time running around suing each other.
                        I don't think there's much problem in Canada with frivolous lawsuits, mainly because there's a huge hassle for filing a suit for anything over $5000 (I believe is the cut off), and below that, there's no way to force payment.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

If the lady's son's eye problem was caused by the chlorine in the pool, wouldn't both eyes be affected? Also, hasn't this lady ever heard of goggles?
                          My Fanfic Page
                          My Fiction Page
                          My Social Group
                          My Pet Social Group
                          My You Tube Channel

Comment

Update: Never heard or saw anything from this lady again. At any point her family needed anything from the desk, her husband came down to get it.

They checked out a day early due to problems back home, and when I asked the guy how everything was, he said "Just great, thank you!"

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                              Back in my day, if we got a scratch, we would clean and then put a band-aid on it. We would not sue over that.
                              That's what we should return to. Every little injury is "someone else's fault." Somewhat along those lines...the first year I worked at scout camp, they'd just started a massive rebuilding project. That is, they bulldozed, some areas to put more tents. Most of the heavy stuff was trucked away, but lots of smaller bits remained. Shortly before camp was to open, our director made us go around and remove twigs...down to the smallest piece. Why? "Some kid could trip over that." Needless to say, nobody did it--we had more important things to do. Besides, whatever happened to "look where you're going" and "don't run in camp?"

Then there are the "oh no, I'll get a scar" nuts. They always act like it's the end of the world, and that they'll never be the same again. These people are usually found in commercials for various ointments and cut treatments. So you have a tiny scar were you cut yourself? I build models, I've accidently cut myself *multiple* times over the years...so go cry me a river
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X