X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a boring job description

http://www.dalycitylibrary.org/joblibpage.htm

Found the above link when I was doing research last night on library page jobs in other cities, and wanted to share because with the way it's worded, I'm puzzled as to why anyone would be encouraged to apply for this job.

Kind of makes me appreciate being a library page in the system I'm working in, although I'd totally quit if I was able to find something that paid as much (or better).

Sounds to me as if they must've gone through some real "winners" previously in that job and are trying to correct that with the next person. Doesn't really seem like they're looking for a person but a robot. Yeah, good luck with that.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I think it must be some policy they have going on in that particular library system, because the one other job description I found on their site included the following "gems":

- "Library Aides are not Librarians and must be able to make appropriate referrals to Librarians rather than attempt to answer seemingly simple questions."

- "College students must arrange their class schedules to accommodate the needs of the Library." (this one I can sort of understand, but when the position mentions being for only 10-15 hours a week, I think it's silly to expect open availability)

Comment

From the linked page:

A Library Page does not work directly with the public nor closely with other staff. You are expected to perform your duties quietly and capably. There is little opportunity for social interaction.
        Kelly, I can't remember if it was you, or another of our Library people here, but someone posted a few weeks back about how Pages (and maybe Aides) are not allowed to answer relatively simple questions. The Patron is directed to the Librarians.

I can see a huge problem here. Is the Page expected to simply ignore a Patron? Even if the Page is allowed to and does, direct the Patron to the Librarian's desk, what are they supposed to do when the Patron screams asks "Well why can't you answer? It's a simple question!"

Does the Page ignore the Patron at that point and possibly get in trouble? Or, does the Page keep repeating that the Patron needs to talk to the Librarian, and possibly get in trouble, for too much "interaction"?

Mike
        Meow.........

Comment

Mike - I used to work as a Page at one of the local libraries in my county.

If the question was simple: "Where is the Fiction section?" We were able to point them in the direction. A lot of our patrons didn't realize we had our books not only divided by fiction, but also by Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Mystery genres also.

However, if the question was "What happened on the battlefield between the French and the Germans during World War I when General So-and-So decided to reject a direct order and do whatever he wanted?" we had to send them up to the Information Desk. There is no way in heck we'd know what books to look for for that particular patron.

When I was working, I'd offer to walk them up to the Information Desk. Once there, I'd even grab one of the Librarians and explain what the patron needed.

Otherwise, I'd make a joke about what my job actually was.

Not much else we could do.

Comment

Thanks Rummy!

Mike
            Meow.........

Comment

Well, I remember that when I was first hired, pages (at least in my library system) were allowed to answer general questions, but most everything else "had" to be referred to either the reference or circulation desk staff. And it did happen a few times that I had to explain to a patron that I wasn't allowed to help them use computers/the online library catalogue, but fortunately no one was ever sucky about it.

Since then, things have really changed - pages have a LOT more leeway with the sort of assistance we're allowed to provide patrons, and while there are things which I'd still need to refer people to other staff members for, I'm allowed to help our patrons as much as I'm able to.

Comment

I can imginge the following question.

Patron: Where are the bathrooms?
                Page: I can not provide you with any seemingly simple information. Le me bring you to the Info Desk.
                Patron: WTF!?

Comment

You're more than welcome Mike!

*le sigh*

I really miss my job at the library. I found I had an odd allergy(?) of sorts: We were moving and reshelving books that had been on the shelves since the library opened that were never (seemingly) checked out. After handling all these dusty books, after a 4 hour shift, my eyes would be red, itchy, watery, I'd have no voice, and the skin on my fingers/hands would be cracked/red.

Comment

Working...
                  X