This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Thought I'd be the 'Normal' One

Note: I had a rather unusual upbringing, (my father says he can predict the future in his dreams, and commune with ghosts in his dreams, and my Atheist grandmother took me to a Baptist church. I ended up becoming Buddhist a few years ago.) so I don't wanna say that these new-age discussions are crazy. But I'll admit they weird me out.

In college, I'm mostly taking humanities classes, as it's my first semester, and I wanted to take 'fun' classes to ease into college life. One of my classes is Meditation, which I took partly because I thought I didn't know how to meditate (I realized very quickly that my idea of meditation was extremely limited, and I meditated quite often in reality) and partly for the funzies.

Well, a kid walked up to me, and asked how the class was doing. He said he dropped it because it A: had too much work, B: was taught by a teacher that didn't seem to know a lot about meditation and C: had a lot of very unusual people in it.

I realized I'd pretty much ignored it, but I ended up being one of the normal people in this class. As a celebration of this, I am going to chronicle the weirdest discussions or comments I've overheard/partaken in. I may update this as I have more classes.

Quotes

Girl: I was passing energy from my hand to her's-
    Teacher: Oh that's very dangerous. You should work on energy within yourself before you try and interact with other people that way. You could hurt yourself.
    Girl: Oh.

Guy: The earth just can't sustain us as it is.
    Woman: I don't believe God made the earth that way. He made an earth that can handle humans.

Man: I was thinking of doing my [meditation] project on Reiki.
    Teacher: Oh, ok.
    Man: A lot of people don't understand Reiki, y'know?
    Teacher: Uh-huh.
    Man: Sometimes they use gemstones or crystals...
    Me: I had Reiki done once. It was for my Sociology class. We were supposed to have a new experience and write about it. She used polished stones.
    Man: That's odd.
    Me: I don't remember the name of the store, but it's somewhere in [town] if you wanted to check it out.

The man then shows me all of the Reiki healing spots or something like that, then heads off to do his project.

The craziest quote for last is:

Man: Yeah, there's a group of really influential rich people, and they're trying to take the world population down to like, seven thousand. They're trying to bring the apocalypse. They're the ones that created the flu, and are preventing cancer from being cured, and they caused 9/11...

Finally, this isn't much of quote (as it would have been a very long quote) but the teacher is obsessed with Chinese things. Impressively she has mastered the language in 5 years (rather than the 16 they say it takes Chinese to be learned as a second language). But she would like us to call her teacher in Chinese (laoshi), and told us we should go to this Chinese school in a nearby college, even though they were probably Chinese spies, and made you do interviews that were probably used for propaganda videos.

Yes.

So there are some stuff that is new-age, and some stuff that's just flat-out-crazy.

The people I hang around with are big believers in energy, especially being able to 'feed' on energy from others, and feeling their energy around them.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I've taken part in Norse healing circles in which energy is passed around the circle to help people who need healing. I always leave feeling incredibly "energized" myself.

There was one guy who was like a human battery. If you put your hand on his arm, you could feel energy literally humming throughout his body. It was like putting a hand on, say, a refrigerator when the motor was running. Not even kidding.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

There are people like that...we did an "energy exchange" in my massage therapy class...

The poor girl I was paired with had to put her hand behind her back and shake it several times before she was no longer feeling my hand on her hand...

and people wonder why I'm not all touchy feely...
        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

See I'm certainly not normal.

If someone is too 'oh, you must love this because I do' I feel like I've been drowned in a bottle of syrup and need to fight my way out of it before I can actually listen to what they are saying. A few things I've even been put completely off of and still can't do/watch 5 years later because of it. Same for anyone who is too 'oh will you pretty pretty please help me...' It just irritates the hell out of me.

I've always been taught to not use my own energy but to build a 'clean' energy gift 'from the universes energy' and gifting that. I'm not sure if its just a culture thing or not.

I'm honestly not sure 'normal' exists when talking meditation and energy work etc. :P
          Last edited by Gizmo; 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM.
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

XD Well, I mean, I'm a Buddhist in a small town, who has had Pagan influences. (Due to some personal problems, I feel I have to dismiss this stuff off-hand, as I got waaaay too into some paranormal and new-age stuff as a kid, like, thinking Harry Potter was real kind of too-into-it.) I read all the time, I write novels, I'm very intellectual. I did things like piss off teachers, because they'd ask us to write down words we didn't know in our reading, and I didn't have any. (I had to prove I knew the words by defining the other kid's unknown words.) I feel like a walking encyclopaedia sometimes, with all the random knowledge I have in my brain. (The subjects I am like this in are: comparative history, religion, psychology, sociology, and English.) I was also one of the girls to start dating first, and when I dated, it was always for more than a year, rather than less than a few months.

On top of that, I had a history of saying things like I had telekinesis and could read my cat's mind. I also had a history of living with my foot in my mouth, and repeating the same stories over and over again.

I've found that the people in my meditation class are either: Buddhists, new-age adherents, or stressed out people looking for a way to relax. Finding out that I'm fairly 'normal' for that class is kinda exciting to me. XD

Comment

Working...
            X