This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy needs a new home

Murphy the cat, from my "Animal Cops: Boston" thread over the summer. His owner is finally going into a nursing home, and the facility doesn't take pets. None of the local shelters will accept older animals, and his owner's family was afraid that if we didn't take him the only option was to have him put down. We will foster Murphy for a month or two, but can't keep him permanently; our lease forbids pets (we can get away with short-term boarding as long as somebody's home if maintenance shows up) and we're really not in a position to take on future medical costs.

He's a total sweetie and has lived with another older cat, although we don't know how he is around dogs or younger cats. Right now, Murphy takes thyroid medication (methimazole) twice a day and is on special food for his kidneys; his shots are up to date and we can try to get copies of all his vet records. We estimate his age to be between 8 and 12 years old.

We're in the Boston area; if anyone around would be willing to adopt him, or knows anyone who would, let me know.

"I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I wish I could take him. I love cats, but for three reasons, I can't take him. 1. Roommates. My roommates are great, but at least one of them is very against pets in the apartment. 2. The apartment. Where I live is just not really set up for a cat. (And I'm not even talking about the pet deposit or pet rent they charge; just physically, this would not be ideal for a pet, especially a cat or dog.) 3. Location. Murhpy is in Boston. I reside in Key West. That's about 1650 miles. A bit far for such an enterprise.

I hope Murphy finds a loving home, though. I really do.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

He looks like an utter sweetie. Give him some southern-hemisphere virtual scritches for me.

No way I'd put an older cat through the quarantine for entry to Australia, though*. And you wouldn't want him to go through it. The best I can do for Murphy is good wishes.

* We don't have rabies, nor a couple of other diseases. Because of that, most animals entering Australia have to endure a long quarantine period. Murphy would get good care from the quarantine folks, but a long flight as cargo plus many weeks of quarantine is not something to put any animal through unnecessarily.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
      X